- Shipments sent via sea freight take approximately 2 to 3 weeks depending on which US state you are shipping from
- Package weight, package dimensions, and delivery speed all impact the total shipping cost to Australia
- APC Parcel Connect Expedited costs $60.06 for a 5-pound package from the US to Australia
The growth of Australia's eCommerce market has been the most remarkable and promising in the Asia-Pacific region. Today, almost 70% of Australians participate in eCommerce and buying items online.
In 2018, Australia's eCommerce revenue forecast was estimated at $18.6 billion, and is expected to jump to $21.5 billion in 2019. All of this makes Australia a good target market for eCommerce sellers. Before you begin your marketing campaign to the land down under, it's best to keep the following in mind.
In this article, we'll share the basics you need to know about shipping to the land down under, how to find the cheapest shipping to Australia from the USA, and how integrating with Easyship can help streamline your shipping and save money when shipping to Australia.
Table of Contents
How Long Does It Take to Ship to Australia?
Let's face it - Australia is a pretty remote continent. Generally, it takes about 5-10 working days for a shipment to reach Australia from the US by air freight. Shipments sent by sea freight will take approximately 2-3 weeks depending on which of the US state you are shipping from.
Consignments from China, UK, and other European countries can take about 3-4 weeks if sent by sea freight; if sent via air, you can expect about 5 working days on average.
For estimates on delivery times to Australia based on your location, check out our shipping rates calculator for more information.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship to Australia?
Due to its remote location, shipping to Australia can be expensive. However, this will always be dependent on a few key factors that impact almost all shipping.
- Package weight: The heavier your package, the more expensive it will be to ship. You'll want to evaluate the cost of shipping against how fast your customer wants to receive the package.
- Package dimensions: Dimensional weight can add to your overall shipping bill. Packages with irregular shapes or dimensions will likely have additional fees added to the overall price tag. It's best to try to stick to standard box sizes to keep your costs down.
- Delivery speed: Expedited shipping will cost more, sometimes substantially more. It's always good to offer this to your customers along with more economical shipping options.
It's important to weigh the shipping options carefully due to the increased cost of shipping. To start, research suggests that consumers do not like to be surprised about additional costs at checkout. Having a dynamic checkout that shows all taxes, duties, and additional handling fees upfront can help. You can also consider marking up your products to cover your shipping costs so you can offer "free" or reduced shipping.
Australians are also used to standard shipping (5-7 days) as it is a very common option offered by Australian retailers. Don't be shy to offer a cheap shipping option at checkout, in addition to an express option. Offering a shipping solution that delivers on weekends or after hours could also be useful, as 75% of Australian consumers have expressed wanting this type of delivery.
What is the Cheapest Way to Ship to Australia from the USA?
Like the rest of the western world, Australians hate paying for shipping. It is estimated that 60% of Australian consumers abandon their carts due to high shipping costs. This is why it's important for US-based eCommerce merchants to find the cheapest way to ship to Australia for their customers.
Let's take a look at the estimated cost and transit time for a package weighing 5lbs and measuring 10in x 5in x 5in from the USA to Australia.
|APC - ParcelConnect Expedited||10-15 days||$60.06|
|DHL Express Worldwide||4-7||$62.21|
|USPS - Priority Mail Express International||12-19||$100.50|
So, if you're looking for the cheapest shipping to Australia from the USA, you'll want to go with APC Parcel Connect Expedited, or DHL Express Worldwide if you want it there a bit quicker.
Now, if you need your parcel to get to Australia quicker, we'd recommend going with one of the following express couriers.
For items heavier than 5 pounds, consider these cheap overseas shipping options:
The best international priority shipping solutions for heavier items from the US include:
What is the Cheapest Way to Ship to Australia from Singapore?
Singapore is a popular eCommerce market for Australia, with Aussies spending millions of dollars with Singaporean merchants each year.
Let's take a look at the estimated cost and transit time for a package weighing 5lbs and measuring 10in x 5in x 5in from Singapore to Australia.
|NZ Post Standard||7-12 days||SGD 50.70|
|Aramax Parcel||4-8||SGD 55.13|
|NZ Post Express||5-9||SGD 59.15|
In this example, the cheapest way to ship to Australia will be with NZ Post Standard at SGD 50.70 but Aramax Parcel would be a good option as well if you're looking for the parcel to get to your customer a bit faster for only a marginal increase in cost.
If you’re shipping lightweight items around 1 kg, consider these cheap overseas shipping options to Australia from Singapore:
Need to get your parcel to Australia quickly? The best international priority shipping solutions for lightweight items from Singapore include:
For items heavier than 1 kg, consider these cheap overseas shipping options:
The best international priority shipping solutions for heavier items from Singapore include:
What is the Cheapest Way to Ship to Australia from Hong Kong?
Hong Kong is another popular eCommerce hub for Australian shoppers, so merchants in Hong Kong will need to have a solid understanding of the shipping costs to the land down under.
Let's take a look at the estimated cost and transit time for a package weighing 5lbs and measuring 10in x 5in x 5in from Hong Kong to Australia.
|HK Post - Air Parcel PE||25-50 days||HKD 365|
|DPEX Express||4-8 days||HKD 375.88|
|HK Post - Speed Post||10-15 days||HKD 391.00|
If you’re shipping lightweight items around 1 kg, consider these cheap overseas shipping options to Australia from Hong Kong:
Need to get your parcel to Australia quickly? The best international priority shipping solutions for lightweight items from Hong Kong include:
For items heavier than 1 kg, consider these cheap overseas shipping options:
The best international priority shipping solutions for heavier items from Hong Kong include:
Does FedEx/UPS/USPS Ship to Australia?
The major express couriers UPS and FedEx deliver to Australia, as does the United States Postal Service. So whether you're looking for an express shipping solution or something more affordable, you'll be able to ship with FedEx, UPS or the USPS to Australia. USPS shipping to Australia will be the most affordable option in most cases, so it's a good option for merchants.
Here are a few of the services offered by these couriers when shipping to Australia:
- UPS Worldwide Saver: 5-7 business days
- UPS Worldwide Expedited: 5-7 business days
- FedEx International Economy: 8-10 business days
- FedEx International Priority: 5-7 business days
- USPS Priority Mail Express International: 3-5 business days
- USPS Priority Mail International: 6-10 business days
Things to Consider Before Shipping to Australia
- Ensure your customs documents are complete and that all details are accurate, as Australian customs is very strict. Furthermore, make sure the description and value of the package match your commercial invoice to avoid a customs delay.
- As of July 1, 2018, imported goods with a customs value of $1000AUD or less may be applicable for GST. GST will be charged at the point of sale by the overseas vendor, and not at the border. Learn more.
- If you're shipping from overseas, you will NOT be able to ship to PO boxes or lockers.
- Make sure that you know what you're allowed to ship. For example, it is very difficult to import cosmetics, pencils, painting equipment, and chewing tobacco to Australia unless you have a proper license.
Additionally, there are strictly prohibited things, like meat and fruits. If you sell any items that are possibly prohibited, you should make sure this is noted on your store's product pages before your Australian customers place an order.
Check out Easyship's country page on Australia for more information on restricted and prohibited items.
- Logistics-wise, it is prohibited to import cargo if it transits through certain countries such as Egypt or Bangladesh. If you plan utilizing freight shipping to Australia, make sure you use a logistics provider who is aware of such restrictions.
- Australian customs will destroy your shipment if clearance is not acquired within 3o days, so it is important that you resolve any outstanding issues within this time frame.
How Easyship Can Help
Shipping to Australia can be as simple as shipping anywhere else, as long as you are aware of what Australian customs expects from you, and you make an effort to manage expectations for your Australian customers.
Check out our eCommerce guide to Australia if you're looking for more information about shipping to the land down under. If you're looking to ship to other destinations outside of Australia, our international shipping guide is a good place to understand the basics of cross-border shipping.
Managing the cost of international shipping has never been easier, especially if you are looking for the cheapest shipping to Australia from the USA, or the cheapest way to ship a package from the Hong Kong to Australia.
Setting up a shipping strategy will help you clearly communicate your shipping policies to your customers. The key is providing them with options. With Easyship, international shipping has never been more streamlined, and simplified.
When you sign up with Easyship, you instantly gain access to more than 250 affordable shipping services and a network of fulfillment centers across the world.
Through our platform, you can automate much of the shipping process and navigate the complexity of international shipping with pre-filled customs forms, access discounted shipping rates up to 89%, and delight your customers with a streamlined delivery experience with our impeccable global tracking systems.
Sign up for a free Easyship account today and let us help you make an informed decision on the cheapest way to ship to Australia and beyond.
Shipping to Australia FAQ
Why is shipping to Australia so expensive?
Shipping to Australia is expensive because of the distance it's located from the major countries of the world. It simply takes longer to deliver a package to Australia from places like the United States, Europe, and China.
Is Pack and Send cheaper than Australia Post?
Pack and Send is a popular courier service in Australia offering parcel and freight delivery across the continent. Depending on the service, sending a package through Pack and Send can be cheaper and faster than Australia Post. It's best to get a quote from each before deciding which to use for your shipping.
How much would a 10 lb box cost to ship from the US to Australia?
A 10 lb box shipped from the United States to Australia will cost between $70-$120 depending on the size of the package and the desired delivery speed. Rates can vary greatly depending on your needs so you'll need to get a direct quote before deciding how you want to ship your package.
How much does it cost to ship 20 lbs from the US to Australia?
A 20 lb box shipped from the United States to Australia will cost between $120-$200 depending on the size of the package and the desired delivery speed.