- You can track your DHL shipment via their website, mobile app, email, or by phone
- DHL tracking numbers are a string of numbers that uniquely identify a package for domestic and international shipping
- DHL eCommerce, DHL Express, and DHL Freight, all offer reliable end-to-end tracking
DHL is one of the largest international courier companies in the world, and with DHL tracking they offer eCommerce retailers and their customer's several ways to stay updated on the status of their delivery.
While tracking is often straightforward, there are options that eCommerce retailers should understand to better serve their customers, especially for international shipping.
In this guide, we’ll cover the basics of understanding the DHL tracking number, the options for tracking shipments, the meaning of the various DHL statuses, and answer some common questions that arise.
Table of Contents
How Do I Track a DHL Shipment?
DHL provides a variety of tracking tools to monitor the status of domestic or international shipments. The fastest and most efficient way is by going to the DHL website and entering your tracking number. You can enter up to 10 at a time to receive a status update and location of the shipment. There are also the following options:
- Phone: 1-800-225-5345
- DHL ExpresSMS for International: +44 7720 33 44 55
- Via email by sending your tracking number to [email protected]
- DHL Express Mobile App
Easyship customers can track packages directly from your dashboard. From there, you can manage all shipments, get detailed tracking information and status updates. You can also set up your account to automatically send branded tracking information directly to your customers to keep them updated on the shipment.
What is a DHL Tracking Number?
A tracking number is a string of numbers and sometimes letters that uniquely identify a package for domestic and international shipping. When you make a purchase at an online store or with a shipper, you will receive an email confirmation or notification with your tracking number on it.
The tracking numbers for DHL come in a few different formats, depending on the service.
DHL Express: A 10 digit numeric beginning with 000, JJD01, JJD00, JVGL or a similar variation.
DHL Parcel: 10 digital numeric, starting with 3S, JVGL or JJD.
DHL eCommerce: Varies from 10 to 39 characters and starts with GM, LX, RX, or up to five letters.
DHL Global Forwarding: Comes a few formats.
- 7 digit numeric only, eg 4567810
- Begins with 1 number followed by 2 letters and 4-6 numbers, eg. 2AB45678
- Begins with 3 or 4 letters, eg. CDF45678Begins with 3-digit carrier code, followed by a dash, then an 8 digit number
Can I Track a DHL Package Without a Tracking Number?
If you don’t have a tracking number, the first thing to do is contact the shipper or merchant to see if they have it, as this will be the easiest way to track a package. In some cases, you can attempt to use a reference number that was provided by entering it into the tracking system for the service you purchased, for example, DHL Express.
Which DHL Services Offer Tracking?
DHL’s portfolio of logistics products and solutions offers customers a wide range of domestic and international parcel delivery services with reliable end-to-end tracking.
- DHL eCommerce: Domestic and international shipping for eCommerce business customers, including a dedicated customer portal for tracking shipments.
- DHL Express: Domestic and international envelope and parcel shipping with overnight options. Includes the DHL ProView, an online express tracking service.
- DHL Freight: Domestic and international freight shipping for business with active tracing.
What the DHL Online Tracking Statuses Mean
A DHL tracking number allows you to check in on the status of your delivery at the various stages.
Here is a simple breakdown of the definitions for each status:
- In Transit/In Progress: A package is on its way to you or the recipient
- Arrived at Overseas: The parcel or package has arrived at its overseas destination
- Item is Pre-Advised: A package that already has a shipping label but is yet to be received by the courier
- Poste Restante: The package will be kept at the destination post office until the recipient or addressee picks it up
- Arrival Scan: The package has been scanned already at the courier facility
- Redirected: The address on the package was not correct and as such, the package needs to be redelivered
- Out for Delivery: This status shows that the package has already arrived at its destination point
- Cleared Customs: The shipment has gone through customs
- Unsuccessful Delivery Attempt: There were problems with delivering your package.
- Returned Back to Sender: The package is returned for one reason or another.
These are some of the tracking statuses you will come across, whether you are using DHL global mail tracking or any other tracking option.
How Long Does It Take for DHL to Update Tracking?
Under normal conditions, it doesn’t take more than a few minutes for DHL to update tracking after every status check. This update is generated through an electronic device, either from a DHL facility or from the field.
What Happens When DHL Tracking Isn’t Updated?
There are many reasons why the status won’t update with a DHL tracking number. Sometimes the package has been handed off to the local postal provider for the final lap of the delivery journey. In order to be sure, contact DHL customer service by phone, at 1-800-225-5345 and provide the tracking number.
How to Track International Shipments with DHL
For International Shipping, DHL eCommerce covers 220 countries and territories, with a range of products that include end-to-end tracking. Final mile delivery will be handled by the locale postal service, so you will need to contact them for a status update.
Here’s how you would obtain the correct corresponding postal service tracking number for a shipment from Brooklyn to Hong Kong.
- First obtain your tracking number, either from DHL or your Easyship Dashboard.
- The next step is to visit the DHL eCommerce tracking page.
- When you enter the tracking number, you will receive the tracking number for the locale postal service.
Keep an Eye on Your Package with DHL Tracking
It's convenient and easy to keep an eye on shipments through DHL Tracking. They offer multiple channels for looking up a tracking number and provide status updates at multiple points in the shipment.
Easyship offers powerful tracking tools to eCommerce merchants right in their dashboard, allowing them to quickly check a delivery status with DHL and other couriers. With a dedicated tracking page for each shipment, your customers can see where their package is each step of the way, and in some cases is more accurate than the courier's website.
Sign up for an Easyship account now to supercharge your shipping.
DHL Tracking FAQ
Can I track my DHL driver?
DHL offers end-to-end shipping on several of their products, which include status updates and locations for the package or parcel, however, you cannot directly communicate with a DHL driver.
What does clearance event mean in DHL tracking?
A clearance event means that a package with a DHL tracking number is being processed at customers, which can sometimes take between 2-3 days.
How do I track my DHL air waybill?
The waybill is the same as the tracking number, so you should be able to track that way, otherwise, you’re best off contacting DHL through their customer service channels.
What happens if DHL delivers a package to the wrong address?
If you think your package was delivered to the wrong address, you’ll need to contact them directly with your tracking number to resolve the problem. It’s best to contact the merchant where you purchased the package as well to resolve the issue.
What to do if DHL tracking is not working?
If your DHL tracking number is not working it could be because it has not been scanned into the system yet or the number is incorrect or not valid. The first step is to contact the eCommerce merchant or shipper to verify that you have the correct number. After that, you’ll need to contact DHL customer service directly.