Did you know that most online shoppers think that tracking international shipments is the most important feature for a stress-free online shopping experience? Little wonder, then, that Amazon recommends that all sellers include information about how to track an international package using unique numbers in confirmation emails.
If you’ve perhaps overlooked the importance of tracking until now, you may want to re-evaluate your stance. Giving your customers accurate, timely information about their order deliveries by allowing international package tracking is one of the most useful things you can do to improve customers’ experience with your brand. Doing so can crease their confidence in your company.
How Does Shipment Tracking Work?
Tracking is all about being able to locate packages while en route from their points of origins to their destinations, in real time. This is usually done using tracking numbers provided by courier companies; most retailers pass these onto their customers in a shipping confirmation email so they can see where their packages are at all times.
Tracking is such an important part of fulfilling eCommerce orders that eBay’s 2012 policy requires that retailers offer tracking information on 90% of their shipments in order to become a top-rated seller.
Can you track an international package?
Often, customers making online purchases wonder if they’re able to use international tracking on their orders. The simple answer is, of course, yes. Whether the shipment is being sent by FedEx, USPS, or UPS, most courier services provide varying levels of shipment tracking for international packages. The level of tracking depends mainly on the mail class being used, but you should usually be able to access in-transit and delivery status information.
How Do I Track a Package?
Tracking packages, whether they are international shipments or domestic, does not have to be a herculean task. It’s usually a simple affair that can be done quickly using an order number or user login. The steps involved are as follows:
· Log into the account
· Input order information or tracking number
· Click on track
It really is that simple! Some platforms offer a variety of ways to track packages, which can be very useful for those prone to forgetting their tracking numbers or user information.
Tracking International Shipments: The Different Services
When it comes to tracking international shipments, the various carriers offer different services. If you want to ensure your international customers can track their orders, you may want to use one of the following courier services:
· Global Express Guaranteed
· Priority Mail Express International
· Priority Mail International
· First Class Package International (select destinations)
· FedEx International Mail
· FedEx International First
· FedEx International Priority
· FedEx International Next Flight
· FedEx International Economy
· FedEx International Ground
· UPS Worldwide Express Plus
· UPS Worldwide Express
· UPS Worldwide Saver
· UPS Worldwide Expedited
· UPS Standard
International Track and Sign
The International Track and Sign is another great option for online merchants looking to allow international package tracking. This service provides users with end-to-end tracking that involves signing for delivery and making online confirmation of delivery.
This international tracking service is most suitable for those who are sending highly valuable or important goods. With this service, tracking is offered at five points after the package is dispatched. Upon delivery, online confirmation is made.
10 Reasons Why Tracking International Shipments is Important
There are lots of tangible reasons why couriers and online merchants should use international parcel tracking on all shipments. Some of the reasons why tracking international shipments is important include:
· Peace of Mind: Understanding that you can virtually keep an eye on your shipment while in transit leaves you confident that your orders will get where they need to go. This peace of mind works both ways – for sender and recipient.
· Effective Communication: With tracking, there’s an effective communication line between online merchants, courier companies, and customers. This is incredibly useful to ensure that your business runs smoothly.
· Creates a Schedule: For retailers asking why international tracking is important, you should know that tracking can help you schedule and plan your deliveries, which allows you to streamline your fulfillment process.
· Improves Accountability: Online retailers have a duty to help customers with their orders, and consistent tracking services allow you to offer a high level of accountability. By knowing where your parcels are, you can answer any customer enquiries and increase customer confidence in your brand.
· Reduces Losses: With consistent tracking, both online merchants and customers can figure out where each parcel is, which great reduces the incidences of lost orders.
· Limits Expenses: By tracking international shipments, you are able to get a clearer picture of the logistic process. This in turn, helps you to eliminate weak links and in turn, save money that would otherwise have been spent unnecessarily.
· Stay Ahead of the Competition: With customers constantly demanding more, package tracking has become a basic offering for eCommerce. Not offering this means losing out to your competition. Give them the ability to track their orders and you’ll keep your customers coming back for more.
· Minimize Delays: When you track your customers’ orders, it helps you detect any potential delays and in turn, gives you enough time to be proactive about fixing these delays or pacify your customers.
· Improves Customer Service: Customers are happy when you are able to give them accurate information regarding their orders, especially while in transit. With tracking, you can give them feedback on the location of their parcel, the delivery status, and any other relevant information they might need.
· Boost Trust: The last - and perhaps most important - reason for knowing how to track an international package is that it helps increase confidence in your customers. When your customers are confident that they will always know the status of their orders, they will have a lot of trust in your brand. This in turn can increase customer loyalty and translate to more sales for your business.
Apart from the above, international parcel tracking will allow you to have more control over fulfilment, avoid unnecessary standoffs with customers, and reduce delivery-related mishaps.
Take Your eCommerce Shop Global by Tracking International Shipments
International tracking is no longer something that’s left to courier and delivery companies. Online merchants are getting actively involved in tracking international shipments, especially because it offers lots of benefits which includes keeping them ahead of the competition and gives their customers peace of mind and improved service.
If you’ve been searching for ways to streamline your delivery operations and offer a more transparent delivery service to your customers, international shipping tracking is the way to go. Easyship partners with a number of reputable couriers to offer a variety of service options that have tracking for international shipments. If you want to know how to track an international package and offer your customers the transparency they desire, sign up for a free Easyship account now.