- Registered Mail is USPS's most secure mail offering. While this option adds a market-leading level of security and protection to any shipment, it can increase delivery timelines
- With over 49 Million Americans reporting at least one package stolen in 2022, this can be an essential option for valuable or irreplaceable shipments
- Domestic Registered Mail service is only available with First-Class Mail, USPS Ground Advantage, and Priority Mail
Table of Contents
What is Registered Mail?
Registered Mail is the most secure United States Postal Service (USPS) available. This premium mailing service offers top-notch security and accountability for your eCommerce shipments. It can be a crucial tool for ensuring that your customers receive their orders securely. This service has some key characteristics:
- Protected by safes, cages, sealed containers, locks, and keys
- Items must be presented to a USPS post office employee or rural carrier
- Signature is required on delivery
- Restricted Delivery is only available to the addressee or an authorized individual
- Delivery information clearly details delivery attempts and final status when the item reaches its destination
- Registered Mail can be sent to military locations, however, delivery information is not available for APO / FPO / DPO destinations
- A mailing receipt is issued by the post office package is mailed from
- This service is not recommended if speed of delivery is important, as it is processed manually
Obtaining a Return Receipt
A Return Receipt provides the sender with proof of delivery and can be purchased at the time of mailing. This includes the recipient's signature, plus the date and time of delivery. You can receive these details on a postcard receipt, or alternatively, you can request an email copy.
When presenting the item for mailing, you must declare the full value of the mail. Insurance matching the declared value of the item is included up to $50,000. Items with a declared value over $50,000 can be registered, but compensation for loss is limited to this amount.
Registered Mail International
This service offers additional protection and security in the US. In destination countries, items are handled according to their own internal procedures. The recipient's signature is not required in the destination country, however, return receipts can be purchased for registered items in most countries.
International Registered Mail is available for the following mail types:
- First-Class Mail International
- First-Class Package International Service
What Are the Benefits?
With over 49 Million Americans reporting at least one package stolen in 2022, this service can be a top choice when sending valuable or irreplaceable items. The following factors are important considerations for online store owners looking to guarantee a secure delivery service:
- Enhanced Security: Registered Mail offers robust security features, safeguarding your valuable products during transit
- Delivery Confirmation: It provides indisputable proof of delivery and that you've sent an order, ensuring trust and transparency with your customers
- Reduced Risk: The stringent tracking and signature requirements minimize the risk of lost or stolen packages, saving your business from potential losses
How Registered Mail Benefits Online Store Owners
- Protecting Your Reputation: Reliable deliveries and secure handling of packages through Registered Mail protect your online store's reputation. Satisfied customers are more likely to return.
- Minimizing Shipping Disputes: With proof of mailing and delivery, you can effectively address and shipping disputes or customer claims, leading to a smoother resolution process
- Reducing Costs: While Registered Mail may have a slightly higher upfront cost than standard mail services, it can save you money in the long run by preventing losses due to damaged or lost shipments
What’s the Difference Between Registered Mail vs. Certified Mail Service?
While both Registered Mail and Certified mail offer secure mailing options, it's essential to understand these key distinctions:
- Heightened Security: With its secure handling from start to finish, Registered Mail offers a higher level of security. This is especially crucial when dealing with valuable or sensitive items
- Delivery Notifications: Both Registered and Certified Mail will give you the option for delivery notifications
- Speed: While Certified Mail travels at the same rate as normal first-class mail and can take up to 5 business days to reach its destination, Registered Mail will take longer due to the extra security
- Insurance: You would not typically find insurance with Certified Mail, however, Registered as a more expensive service has this option included
Related post: What is Certified Mail? Everything You Need to Know
How to Send Registered Mail
While Registered Mail items can only be accepted by USPS staff at a post office in towns or cities, rural USPS carriers can also accept, as long as the required fees are paid in advance. USPS staff are not permitted to help customers prepare or seal any Registered Mail packages.
Can Registered Mail be delivered without a signature?
In short, no. Registered mail always requires a recipient's signature upon delivery. This feature is especially valuable for eCommerce businesses, as it ensures that your customers personally receive their orders.
Preparing Your Registered Mail Shipments
Efficiently prepare your Registered mail shipments to optimize the process.
- Secure Packaging: Use durable packaging materials to protect your products during transit. This not only safeguards your items but also enhances the customer's unboxing experience
- Accurate labeling: Ensure precise labeling with the recipient's address and pertinent details. This reduces the chances of misdelivery or delays
- Documentation: Complete any necessary forms or documentation, including item lists. Organized documentation streamlines the shipping process, making it easier to manage multiple shipments
Tracking Registered Mail
Registered Mail shipment tracking events can't be tracked through a tracking number in the USPS portal, as updated scans are not provided. However, the delivery information is provided when a scan shows either a delivery status or information on an attempted delivery.
If you are shipping to PO Boxes, USPS will leave a delivery slip inside the PO Box instructing the recipient to present the delivery slip to the window clerk.
How Much Does Registered Mail Cost?
The cost of Registered Mail varies depending on factors such as package weight, destination, and the declared value of your items. Postal services typically offer tiered pricing based on these factors. Domestic Registered Mail is only available for the following mail classes:
- First-Class Mail
- USPS Ground Advantage
- Priority Mail
USPS Signature Options With Easyship
As USPS Registered Mail services are highly secure and manually processed shipments, unfortunately, these services can't be purchased through Easyship. They must be sent directly from a post office and overseen by a retail employee to confirm receipt of the shipment.
Easyship offers a range of similar USPS options to help you deliver items securely to your customers. These include:
- USPS Certified Mail: provides a mailing receipt to the sender as proof that a package was sent on a certain date, as well as electronic verification of delivery upon request
- USPS Signature Confirmation: provides the sender with the recipient's signature, name, delivery date, and delivery address
Easyship is the leading shipping and logistics platform, collaborating with a vast network of over 250+ couriers across the globe. This unique position enables us to negotiate exclusive shipping discounts with top-tier couriers, providing you with the opportunity to reduce your shipping costs. Our popular discounts include a wide range of top couriers:
- Up to 65% Savings on USPS First Class Package
- Up to 89% Savings on USPS Priority Mail
- Up to 50% Savings on UPS® Ground
- Up to 85% Savings on USPS - Ground Advantage
- Up to 76% Savings on UPS Worldwide Saver®
- Up to 91% Savings on DHL eCommerce