- Express couriers like FedEx, UPS and DHL can deliver packages to Mexico from anywhere between 1-3 business days
- With a postal service like USPS, a package can make it to Mexico from the USA from anywhere between 2–16 days
- Access up to 91% discounted shipping rates to Mexico with Easyship's Free Shipping Rate Calculator
Shipping to Mexico tends to be affordable. This is because Mexico is a partner in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), and an increasingly popular shipping destination.
For merchants, Mexico is an ideal destination for cross-border shipping. Compared to domestic shipping, though, it can be a challenge to find the cheapest way to ship to Mexico. This is because international shipping affords more courier options, plus varied fees around import duties and taxes.
This is why Easyship offers free tools like our International Shipping Rate Calculator for Mexico and our Import Tax and Duty Calculator for Mexico. In just a few clicks you'll have direct access to the cheapest ways to ship to Mexico from anywhere in the world.
Use this article to learn the cheapest way to ship to Mexico, including any import duties.
Table of Contents
How Long Does It Take to Ship to Mexico?
Whether you're choosing an express courier or postal service, your customers will probably be asking how long does it take to ship to Mexico? It's a good question. It will largely depend on the origin country and the type of service they choose.
For example, express couriers like FedEx, UPS and DHL can deliver packages to Mexico from anywhere between 1-3 business days. But that speed will come at a cost. For luxury customers, the cost might be worth it, but for more budget minded customers, they will likely choose a longer deliver time. With a postal service like USPS, a package can make it to Mexico from the USA from anywhere between 2-16 days.
How Much Does it Cost to Ship to Mexico?
There are a few key variables that determine the cost of shipping packages to Mexico from the United States or any other country. You should always understand these three variables:
- Package weight
- Package dimensions
- Delivery timeframe
The lighter and smaller the package, the cheaper it will be to ship, no matter how long a delivery time you choose. But delivery time is key! If you want a package fast, it's going to cost more money. As a merchant, you are going to want to give your customers choice between the cheapest, fastest and best value. With Easyship, that's built right into our dynamic rates at checkout which will increase your checkout by as much 3.1x.
Does FedEx/USPS/UPS/DHL ship to Mexico?
Short answer, yes! The major express couriers of FedEx, UPS and DHL all offer a variety of shipping services to Mexico in a range of prices, so you shouldn't have a problem finding the best solution for your customers.
The United States Post Office and DHL have some of the most affordable rates for shipping to Mexico, so they are generally going to be a great option for budget minded merchants. Here are a few of the popular services you can consider.
- DHL Express Worldwide
- USPS Priority Mail International
- UPS Worldwide Saver
- FedEx International Economy
What’s the Cheapest Shipping Option from the USA to Mexico?
If you're a merchant based in the United States, you're going to want to make sure you offer your customers the cheapest shipping to Mexico. That's the name of the game these days!
The Easyship shipping rates calculator offers a quick, transparent way to compare couriers so you can find the cheapest way to ship to Mexico.
Simply put in where you’re shipping from by entering your shipment’s country of origin and zip code. Then, simply enter the destination country and the weight of the parcel.
For this example, let’s send a 5 lb. package from New York City to Mexico.
|DHL eCommerce - Parcel Direct||$38.93|
|Easyship Flat Export Rate||$44.48|
|APC - ePMI||$46.40|
|SkyPostal - International Parcel||$54.24|
|USPS Priority Mail International||$56.29|
|FedEx International Economy||$133.96|
In this example, DHL eCommerce Parcel direct is going to be the cheapest shipping to Mexico, with the Easyship Flat Export Rate coming in just behind it.
As you can see there are a plenty of options for affordable shipping to Mexico to meet the needs of your customer. These are just estimates, you need to keep taxes and duties in mind as they will add to the overall shipping cost.
Tips for the Cheapest Way to Ship to Mexico
With all that in mind, here are a few tips on how you can cut your shipping costs quickly and affordably.
1. Choose properly-sized packaging
2. Offer a variety of delivery timeframes
3. Use multiple couriers
4. Partner with a fulfillment center or warehouse
5. Outsource your shipping
6. Ship boxes by cubic weight
7. Use kitting to cut shipping costs
8. Buy packing material in bulk or reuse packaging
How to Send a Package to Mexico: A Quick Guide
When you're sending a package to Mexico, there are several steps that you need to keep in mind to make sure it's successful, especially if you are shipping cross-border from the United States.
- Choose Your Shipping Courier: The first major decision you need to make is whether you're going to use a public courier like the United States Post Office or a private express courier like FedEx, UPS or DHL.
- Check Shipping Restrictions & Prohibited Items: You will not be able to ship alcohol, tobacco, firearms, currency, fresh food, seeds, plants or explosives to Mexico. You should also check with the courier you choose about any potential restrictions they might have.
- Determine the Size and Weight of Your Package: This will determine he ultimate cost of shipping a package to Mexico. You will want to check the courier you are shipping with to make sure your package meets their size requirements. For example, with the USPS the maximum length and girth is 79 inches. There will also be additional fees for oddly shaped packages, so you will need to take all of this into account before proceeding.
- Securely Package Your Goods: You'll want to select a cardboard or corrugated fiberboard box to ship your goods. Depending on the goods you're shipping, you'll want to secure them in the box with packing peanuts, bubble wrap or other cushioning materials, all of which essential shipping supplies for an eCommerce business. When your goods are packed, use packing tape to make sure that your package is secure on the top, bottom and sides.
- Mark Package As Fragile if Necessary: If your goods could be damaged in transit, then you will need to write fragile (frágil in Spanish) on the box.
- Fill Out Bill of Lading and Customs Forms: If you are shipping to Mexico from the United States you will need to fill out the customs forms, which will include the contents of the package, and their value. The category the goods fall under will determine the duties that will need to be paid. With Easyship, all of the required customs forms are created and ready for you to print.
- Buy Shipping Insurance: If you are shipping valuable goods, then you'll want to consider purchasing shipping insurance. With Easyship, you can easily add shipping insurance to any order, which will cover up to USD$5,000.
How to Ship to Mexico With Easyship
With Easyship merchants gain access to multiple solutions for shipping to Mexico, including USPS, APC, SkyPostal, DHL and more! Easyship's exclusive Flat Export rate to Mexico offers merchants a great value at a fixed cost. Click here to learn more on how to save with our Flat Export Rate Mexico.
Through our platform, you can automate your workflow with handy shipping rules and navigate the complexity of international shipping with pre-filled customs forms, access discounted shipping rates up to 91%, and keep your customers satisfied with a streamlined delivery experience with our impeccable global tracking systems.
Sign up for a free Easyship account today and let us help you make an informed decision on the cheapest way to ship to Mexico and beyond.
Shipping to Mexico FAQ
How long does standard shipping from the US to Mexico take?
A 3-pound package from NY to Mexico can take anywhere from 2-22 business days depending on the courier service.
Is USPS reliable in Mexico?
Yes, USPS offers reliable shipping services to Mexico.
Are there any restrictions when shipping to Mexico?
You cannot ship apples, cigars or cigarettes, alcohol, chemicals, and more. View the list here.