While DHL no longer provides express domestic courier services within the United States, they still provide a limited selection of US domestic services through DHL SmartMail.
Do note that DHL SmartMail solutions are provided by DHL eCommerce, which is not to be confused with DHL Express. (You can learn more about the differences between the two here.) These solutions involve DHL handling the first-mile delivery, before handing the parcel over to the United States Postal Service for the last-mile delivery.
These solutions are heavily marketed towards US-based eCommerce businesses who are looking for affordable B2C shipping solutions for packages under 25 pounds.
DHL SmartMail Services
- DHL SmartMail Parcel: This service is for parcels that weigh under 1 pound.
- DHL SmartMail Parcel Plus: This service provides the same delivery time frames and tracking number ability as SmartMail Parcel, but for parcels weighing between 1-25 pounds.
- DHL SmartMail Parcel Return: As mentioned in the name, this is for businesses who are looking for a cost-effective solution for customer returns.
- DHL SmartMail Bound Printed Matter: This service is for qualified materials such as books, promotional material, catalogues, brochures, and directory materials, as defined by the US Postal Service.
- DHL SmartMail Flats: This service is for documents and anything under 1 pound that can fit in an envelope.
DHL SmartMail Service Levels
Below are the delivery time frames associated with the services:
- Expedited Max: Delivery happens within 2-3 business days
- Expedited: Delivery happens within 2-5 business days
- Ground: Delivery happens within 3-8 business days
DHL SmartMail Tracking Services
DHL offers end-to-end tracking for all of the service solutions mentioned. Business owners can keep track of packages through DHL’s Customer Web Portal, while recipients can enter their tracking number on DHL’s website for more information.
Reduce your postage costs with DHL SmartMail
DHL’s work share program with USPS gives B2C eCommerce businesses an additional choice when looking for cost-effective shipping solutions within the United States.
If you’re interested in exploring similar solutions like DHL SmartMail, you can consider UPS’ Mail Innovation. And for those looking for affordable international shipping rates, learn more about Easyship’s hybrid solutions, which utilizes USPS for first-mile delivery and partners with strong, regional couriers for the last-mile!