- A freight forwarder is a business that organizes shipments for both companies and individuals to get products from the manufacturer or producer to a customer
- Usually, freight forwarding companies are used when small businesses can’t handle a sudden increase in orders or when they are starting to ship internationally
- The freight forwarder companies are not responsible if your package is lost or gets damaged, adding an additional layer of risk
If you run a small business and are stepping into the world of international eCommerce, then it’s important to realize that the most important aspect of your business is shipping globally. For international shipping, the most viable solutions are either a freight forwarder or a third-party logistics company like Easyship.
Some business owners prefer freight forwarding companies, which could work if they properly suit their business model. However, Easyship offers a better solution overall as it takes care of every step of your shipment. From packaging to shipping and tracking, we do it all.
We also take responsibility that your package reaches its destination safely and unharmed. This is a key feature that freight forwarders will not offer and is something that makes Easyship a better choice.
Table of Contents
What is a Freight Forwarder in Shipping?
A freight forwarder is a business that organizes shipments for both companies and individuals to get products from the manufacturer or producer to a customer, commercial market, or final distribution point.
You’ve probably heard about companies that will help you deliver your packages to far-off destinations using different mediums for delivery. They are essentially the “middle-man” between you and different courier companies that you’ll need to deliver your package.
If you are selling in a region where shipping must go through a couple of different forms of transit, you may need to switch couriers in a country where you don’t know how to. So, to save yourself from the hassle, you could use a freight forwarder.
Usually, freight forwarding companies are used when small businesses can’t handle a sudden increase in orders or when they are starting to ship internationally. The extra shipping load is often shared with freight forwarding companies.
Future Forwarding Company, American Export Lines, Global Forwarding USA, MyUs, and Shipito are some of the examples of international freight forwarders in the United States.
Another popular eCommerce destination is Singapore and, as with the U.S., there are many freight forwarder companies in Singapore that you can also use if you’re planning to shop or ship there.
Freight companies like MyUs and Shipito let you ship in the United States by giving you an address in the U.S. and then shipping your packages to you. Easyship, however, is a whole system offering you much more than just a shipping service. We provide you with complete order fulfillment, crowdfunding estimation, tax and duties calculations worldwide, and an all-in-one shipping tool for your global eCommerce store.
Related resource: What's a 4PL? The Difference between 4PL vs. 3PL
Disadvantages of Freight Forwarder Companies
Freight forwarding companies have several distinct disadvantages, with just a few being:
- Freight companies can be an easy solution for sending your packages, but there is a considerable degree of unreliability. You can’t be sure that your package will be reaching its destination on time until it gets there.
- There can be ambiguity about pricing as you aren’t handling the shipping yourself and there are no set prices. You know exactly what was documented when you’re handling the shipping and pricing documents yourself. However, when a freight company does it, you can’t be sure of what exactly the actual cost is.
- You lose control of product loss during the process of shipping. Since the packaging is not by you, you can’t be sure if it is done correctly and safely.
- The freight forwarder companies are not responsible if your package is lost or gets damaged, adding an additional layer of risk.
- The timing of your package shipment is beyond your control and generally can’t be properly estimated. It might take longer than initially predicted, causing frustration for both you and your customers.
Why Easyship is a Better Choice for Your Shipments?
Easyship offers many key advantages to seriously consider, including:
- We offer competitive rates with huge discounts of up to 70 percent. There’s no ambiguity or confusion about what we charge, as it will be the same from the beginning until the end.
- Easyship gives complete transparency about different taxes and duties in different countries before the package starts its journey. Crucially, this transparency is extended to the tracking of the shipment as well at every step of the process.
- We’re not just a shipping company, but a complete system offering much more. You can set up a free account in minutes and utilize many of our eCommerce tools. We even offer shipping apps for your store, cutting out the need for an extra sales channel for us.
- Easyship is available for all types of businesses. Big or small, we have services for each with very competitive rates.
- If you ship with us, we’ll be responsible for your shipment’s safety at every step.
If you run a small business, the value of your package and the amount you pay for shipping becomes more valuable than ever. You simply can’t afford to lose any packages – or ultimately, clients. If any loss or damage happens, then the penalty will be on your business, an additional risk most entrepreneurs simply can’t afford.
Easyship, simply put, offers a better choice than freight forwarder companies. We not only offer large discounts but also have the perfect shipping solutions for every business, regardless of size or sector. With us, your package will be delivered safely and on time.
Our tracking system is crystal clear while our rate calculator allows you to quickly calculate and compare rates of different couriers and select the one you think works best for your business.
To see the complete features and services we offer, please visit the Easyship homepage to learn more.