- Fulfillment centers are a type of warehouse that assists with order fulfillment for businesses
- The main difference between the word fulfillment is the debate over the correct spelling
- The major difference between a fulfillment center and a warehouse like Amazon is that warehouses only store customer products
As an eCommerce merchant, fulfillment or fulfilment is one word you'll often come across. It is an essential process in the supply chain that helps you prepare your customer's order.
Depending on your country, you’ll hear one of these terms in the shipping and fulfillment industry. This means that both fulfilment and fulfillment are correct depending on where you’re located.
This concept is the same with fulfillment centers. You could say fulfillment center or fulfilment center. We’ll discuss the common misconceptions of how to spell fulfillment in this blog post to understand where each term is used.
Table of Contents
What's a Fulfillment Center?
A fulfillment center is an essential part of the supply chain. Fulfillment centers are a type of warehouse that assists with order fulfillment for businesses. This warehouse type is responsible for picking and packing orders to fulfill your shipment.
Depending on the number of orders you cover, you could use several fulfillment centers to distribute your products to your customers. In addition, fulfillment centers can refer to third-party logistics centers otherwise known as 3PL services.
What's the Difference Between Fulfillment vs. Fulfilment?
Although people always get them mixed up, there is no difference between fulfillment and fulfilment.
This concept is the same with fulfil vs. fulfill. This concept doesn't change the fact that either of the spellings can be the right one for you, depending on the variant of the English language you speak.
The main difference between the word fulfillment is the debate over the correct spelling. Countries that use the British English language use the word "fulfilment" with a single L over two L's in American English. These countries include Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, and other Commonwealth countries.
Most fulfillment companies in the United States use the correct spelling with two L's for the term in American English.
What's the Difference Between a Fulfillment Center vs. Warehouse Amazon?
One of the major misconceptions people get about fulfillment is the difference between fulfillment centers and warehouses. The major difference between a fulfillment center and a warehouse like Amazon is that warehouses only store customer products.
On the other hand, fulfillment centers handle all stages of order fulfillment, from picking, packing, and shipping out orders. Unlike fulfillment centers, warehouses are static and are meant for short-term or long-term storage. Depending on your fulfillment center needs, warehouses come in various types, and they include:
- Private Warehouse
- Public Warehouse
- Automated Warehouse
- Climate-Controlled Warehouse
- On-Demand Warehouse
On the other hand, Fulfillment centers are more complex and in constant motion. Used by multiple merchants who need to fulfill customer orders, they offer a wide range of services like:
- Pickup of products for individual customer orders
- Gathering of inventory
- Order packing
- Shipment labeling
- Managing customer exchanges and returns
- Ability to guarantee next-day or same-day delivery in various locations
Overall, your business may require you to use a warehouse and fulfillment center, depending on your company's needs.
Optimize Your Fulfillment Services with Easyship
Whether you use the word fulfillment or fulfilment, you are correct. The difference between the two words is whether you use British English or American English.
Above all, the most important factor to consider is having an effective fulfillment center managing your shipment processes.
Whether you choose a 3PL or a fulfillment center, Easyship can help you optimize your fulfillment system. With available facilities and premium features, fulfillment just got easy for you.
Easyship helps you handle your fulfillment to focus on serving your clients better. Get access to the following:
- Global Fulfillment: Easyship has warehouse partners on four continents so that you can reach your customers all across the world. Plus, Easyship helps scale up fulfillment capabilities without increasing overhead costs.
- Shipping Dashboard: Manage orders and create shipments instantly in the Shipping Dashboard. Plus, keep track of all your delivery lead times in one place for your business
- High-Value Shipping Insurance: Easyship offers up to $10,000 shipping insurance for all shipments. This way, customers can have peace of mind regarding high-value items.
Ready to ship? Sign up for a FREE Easyship account and get instant access to global fulfillment
Fulfillment vs. Fulfilment FAQ
How do you spell fulfillment in Australia?
Fulfilmemt and fulfil is the spelling commonly used in English-speaking countries like the UK and Australia.
What does fulfilment mean?
Fulfillment is an essential aspect of the supply chain that means that an order is being processed and prepared for shipment.
If you found this article informative, you may enjoy the following: