Selling and shipping furniture online is one of the toughest aspects of eCommerce. Creating a professional website to sell furniture is the easy part — but shipping the furniture itself is the hard part!
Successful furniture shipping in eCommerce means taking into account many aspects, including cost, choosing the right courier and packing the furniture safely for shipping. But learning how to ship furniture is easy with our guide. Here’s a quick but detailed look at furniture shipping costs, the cheapest way to ship furniture, which couriers work best and how to actually pack and ship your furniture safely — even if it's going to travel across the country. Fortunately, working with a logistics partner like Easyship makes the process of shipping furniture, which can be complex and costly, easy, cost efficient and fast.
How Much Does it Cost to Ship Furniture?
Furniture shipping costs vary according to a number of important factors to consider closely when researching the best way to ship furniture.
Some of these include:
- Item size
- Weight of the item
- Value of the item
- Distance of the shipment
- Courier selection
Item size and dimensions are usually the main factors in determining the cost of any shipment — and with shipping furniture, they’re especially important. Accurate calculation of the size and dimensions can help save your business a lot of money in furniture shipping costs, so be sure to measure everything carefully so you don’t overpay.
Item weight is another key factor when you consider how to ship furniture. As heavy items are harder to move, your furniture shipping costs may increase due to the limited number of ways they can be transported, often either by sea freight or by truck. Some furniture items may also need insurance as an added layer of protection — another cost factor to consider carefully.
The distance of your shipment is another key factor in determining your furniture shipping costs. Relatively affordable delivery truck services may be used for short-distance deliveries, but if your company is shipping furniture across the country, you’ll likely need another mode of transportation. The same goes for shipping furniture cross-border to other countries. Typically, increasing the distance of your furniture shipments will increase your overall shipping costs.
What is the Cheapest Way to Ship Furniture?
Similarly, the cheapest way to ship furniture also depends on a number of factors that should be taken into account when choosing the most affordable courier to use. Specifically, these include:
- Weight. Weight is a crucial factor, as heavier, more cumbersome pieces of furniture or their shipping boxes may be limited in how they can be shipped, meaning that your transportation costs will likely be impacted.
- Item size. Much like weight, item size is also very important in determining shipping costs. Larger furniture items, not surprisingly, will typically cost more to ship compared to smaller ones.
- Shipment distance. Shipments going further distances, like furniture shipped across the country will likely cost more overall in shipping costs.
Additionally, another factor that impacts cost is how many local and international couriers you might need to use for first and last-mile delivery and order fulfillment. For example, if you’re shipping to an international destination from the United States, you may have to use local couriers for last-mile delivery, which will in turn impact your shipping costs overall.
The bottom line is that many factors impact furniture shipping costs, making it very important to measure and weigh your shipment carefully and to choose the courier that offers the most affordable shipping option.
Fortunately, Easyship makes this very simple. Our shipping rates calculator is a very useful tool in determining the couriers that offer the most affordable furniture shipping options, helping you choose which works best for your eCommerce business.
Related: How to ship large and heavy items
Which Courier is Best for Furniture Shipping?
Shipping Furniture with UPS
UPS furniture shipping offers packing and shipping for both domestic and cross-border destinations. UPS allows you to choose which type of packaging you’d like to use when shipping furniture , offering a variety of custom crates, protective wraps and blankets to make sure your furniture shipments arrive safe and sound.
Shipping Furniture with FedEx
FedEx furniture shipping is another solid option. They offer next-day delivery within the US at competitive shipping rates.
This is where the Easyship shipping rates calculator comes in handy. By comparing courier shipping costs, delivery times and other factors, you can gain a much more transparent view into which courier works best for your own furniture shipping needs.
How to Ship Furniture
Shipping furniture is a whole process. It entails careful disassembly, packing and choosing an affordable courier. Here's a quick look at how to ship furniture successfully, from an eCommerce perspective.
- Order the correct-sized shipping box. This can be a cardboard box or wooden crate depending on factors like shipment distance and what exactly is being shipped. If you're shipping furniture that is especially large and irregularly sized and you can’t find the right box, you can create one using large corrugated box sheets and crafting them to fit your piece's dimensions. Instead of making sharp folded corners, keep them a bit round so they conform to the furniture better.
- Remove any detachable parts of the furniture. These include things like table legs and armrests on chairs. If these more fragile components aren’t detachable, wrap them carefully in foam or bubble wrap.
- Wrap the furniture in Styrofoam. Use packing tape to secure the Styrofoam itself onto the pieces when you ship furniture.
- Place the furniture inside the box or make a box around it. If you’re making a box, cut the cardboard sheet for the lid, making it wider than the top of the box so you can turn the edges while packing it. Tape the box very securely once the furniture is inside.
- Use polypropylene strapping around the box to keep it intact. Accidents happen, so try to avoid hem and make sure you secure all the sides of the box carefully when you ship furniture.
- Measure and weigh the package accurately. Proper measurements and weight metrics will help determine the cost of the shipment and which courier to use to ship furniture.
- Check courier websites or use the Easyship rates calculator to determine your shipping costs and courier options. Be sure to weigh your options carefully (pun intended!) to choose the one that’s best for you, whether you’re looking for something affordable, fast or the best value overall.
- Choose your courier. If it’s a one-time shipment, place an order for pickup online. If this isn’t an option, take the furniture shipment to the nearest courier location. Most couriers offer pickup for heavy furniture however, and if you ship regularly, be sure to open an account with one to see if you can leverage any volume shipment discounts or membership perks.
What is the Best Way to Ship Furniture?
Shipping furniture is something that’s difficult for eCommerce companies to do successfully. However, by accurately calculating your furniture shipping costs, choosing the most affordable courier and packing the furniture properly before shipping it, you’ll find that furniture shipping isn’t quite as intimidating as it seems!
Easyship, already trusted by furniture companies like BackStrong, also offers tailor-made furniture shipping solutions for eCommerce companies. Our affordable, reliable hybrid solutions are perfect for the first-mile and last-mile shipping. Sign up today for free and start shipping your eCommerce store’s furniture around the world!