We all know Etsy as the handmade and vintage eCommerce marketplace.
If you're a seller that's interested in shipping your unique wares worldwide, you do have a few options on the platform.
Etsy offers domestic as well as international shipping to some, but not all of its sellers. In this article, we'll go over the limitations of Etsy Shipping and what your options are if Etsy can't cater to your business needs.
So, how does Etsy Shipping work?
If your store is based in the US or Canada and you plan on shipping from there, you have the opportunity to create calculated shipping profiles so you can generate accurate shipping costs by location.
Etsy also works with FedEx, UPS, and Canada Post, offering discounted rates up to 30% if you decide to use their shipping labels.
If you're based outside the US or Canada, you'll have no choice but to set your own shipping rates.
Calculated rates on Etsy
For those lucky enough to access Etsy's calculated rates, it's simple to set up.
When you add a listing, in the Shipping section, make your shipping costs set to "Calculate them for me (Recommended)", enter in the zip code you're shipping from, and which countries you'd like to ship to.
You can also add calculated shipping to multiple listings to save time.
Setting your own shipping rates on Etsy
If your store doesn't qualify for Etsy shipping, you'll have to set your own rates. This is where it can get a little tricky.
On Etsy's help center, it's advised to list a high estimate for shipping costswhile explaining in the listing description that you will refund any extra postage.
You can also figure out a shipping average and list that as your shipping cost, meaning you will lose money on some shipments but gain it back on others.
Another thing you could do is have buyers contact you before they buy for an exact shipping quote. Once decided, you can edit the shipping rate and reserve the listing for your buyer.
Drawbacks of Etsy Shipping
- Etsy shipping labels and calculated rates based on location is available only to sellers in the US and Canada.
- There are only 3 couriers available on Etsy Shipping - UPS, FedEx, and Canada Post. This can make international shipping on Etsy pricier.
- There are no tools or features to calculate customs duties and fees, or generate required paperwork such as customs declaration forms and commercial invoices.
- Without calculated rates, flat rate shipping can cause customers to either overspend on shipping or have sellers lose money on shipping.
Enhancing Etsy Shipping with Easyship
One solution to the above mentioned drawbacks is to use a third-party application like Easyship.
- Easyship is available to sellers based in the US, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.
- Get access to more couriers than just UPS and FedEx: over 100+ shipping solutions with discounts up to 70%.
- Provide accurate shipping rates to your customer based on their location. By using our Get a Quote feature, you can provide your customer a complete breakdown of additional fees, duties, and taxes for their shipment.
- Avoid manual data entry by syncing your orders to our platform. Automatically generate shipping labels and all required paperwork for both domestic and international shipments.
- To save even more time, schedule pickups directly on the dashboard and have the courier pick up all your shipments where you're located.
Learn more about our Etsy integration, or better yet, sign up for your free account today!
Need additional assistance with our Etsy integration? Please visit ourSupport Center for more information.
Previous Post:The best Shopify apps to increase sales