Perfume, cosmetics, and other beauty products have become very popular items for online shoppers in recent years. However, not understanding how to ship makeup can make the whole process pretty ugly!
Shipping perfume and other cosmetics and beauty products require a very careful understanding of courier guidelines. This means that having a strong knowledge of the ins and outs of how to ship perfume and how to ship makeup, in general, is key.
Here’s a closer look at just how to ship perfume, makeup, and other cosmetics safely and securely!
Table of Contents
Can You Mail Cosmetics?
Rules of USPS:
- Non-flammable and non-hazardous liquids can be sent through USPS, but they have to be packed inside a waterproof container that is sealed properly.
- The package should be marked with orientation arrows and the nature of the contents of the liquid so people can read it easily.
- If the liquid is more than 4 ounces, you should pack the container three times for safety. First, the original container should be wrapped in padding to avoid any breaking during transit. Then, put it inside a leak-proof sealable container made from absorbent material. Finally, put the container in a sturdy and rigid box made especially for the purpose. You can use boxes for Priority, Flat Rate, or Regional.
- Perfumes containing alcohol cannot be shipped domestically or internationally. Domestic delivery of such perfumes can still be sent via road or rail transportation.
Rules of FedEx:
- Waterproof containers for liquids with easy-to-use yet sealable lid should be used. The bottles should be wrapped with a padded material. If more than one bottle is to be placed in the same box, separate padding and insulation should be wrapped around each bottle.
- Absorbent material such as insulators and inner packaging should be used.
- The leakproof and waterproof sealed container should be used.
- The outer packaging or box should be sturdy and rigid to prevent damage to the bottle.
Rules of UPS:
UPS isn’t as specific when it comes to laying out its rules for shipping cosmetics and beauty products. However, generally following the same guidelines for FedEx is a good idea, so make sure your beauty products arrive to your customers securely!
How Do You Package Makeup for Shipping?
Packing beauty products and makeup the right way is critical for safe transit. Here’s how to pack makeup securely, so it arrives in one piece!
Packing Materials Needed:
- Cardboard box: a rigid and sturdy box that will be the outermost layer of the packaging. It should be a bit larger, so you can easily put insulation against the walls.
- Thermal bubble wrap: as cosmetics are temperature-sensitive items, you need to protect them from temperature changes during shipping.
- Sealed and leak-proof containers to protect bottles of liquids.
- Packaging material: materials like packing peanuts, corrugated crumbled cardboard, crumpled paper, and the like to prevent the container from any unexpected movement in transit.
- Adhesive tape and scissors.
How to Pack Makeup Safely:
- Take the perfume or makeup item and wrap it in thermal bubble wrap. Wrap it 4–6 times, depending on the fragility of the item. If you are packing more than one item, wrap them separately in bubble wrap.
- Tape the bubble wrap so it won’t get loose or open.
- Put it in a leak-proof and sealed container if it’s required by the courier. If not, then the decision is entirely yours, though it’s generally a good idea to do this regardless of the courier’s specific shipping rules. For expensive high-end makeup and perfumes, it is recommended because of the cost of the items and their fragility.
- Take a sturdy and rigid box of a bit bigger size than the item. Fill half of it with packing peanuts and shake so they settle properly.
- Put the item or the container in the center of the box and fill the rest of the box with packing peanuts to the top. Close the lid and tape it, sealing all corners.
- Label the package and use orientation symbols and arrows.
Tips for How to Ship Makeup:
- Know the ingredients of the product. You have to mention it on the packaging as well, especially for international shipping. This is important as many couriers like USPS allows alcohol-containing items like perfume to be only shipped domestically in most instances.
- Mailing classes are usually limited by weight and volume. If there is a limitation, then use it to your benefit by tinkering with the volume of the parcel.
- You should get information about the shipping rules of the destination for makeup and perfumes. Different countries have different regulations regarding shipping cosmetics, so be sure to understand these before you actually start shipping.
- You should understand the importance of symbolic labels, as many European countries consider them mandatory, such as “Handle with Care”.
- Keep in mind that you might have to pay extra fees for special handling, like a hazardous materials fee. So, when drafting up your shipping budget, don’t forget this important and unavoidable expense!
- When you label the ingredients of the products, be honest. Your shipment will go through a series of screening processes and, if any doubt is found, your package can be destroyed or held for an unlimited time.
How to Ship Makeup
If you’re looking into sending makeup in the mail, be sure to follow these steps!
- Pack the cosmetics being shipped carefully.
- Get information about the rules and regulations of the origin and destination countries.
- Compare shipping solutions to find the best deals available
Shipping perfumes and makeup is different from shipping other beauty products because of the ingredients and the requirements for packaging. Soaps, shampoos, and creams can be shipped in regular packing like envelopes padded with bubble wrap. Perfume, on the other hand, has to be packed in leak-proof containers.
Other beauty products can be sent through regular UPS, USPS, and FedEx services. However, perfume can’t be shipped that easily, especially internationally. Domestic shipping options for perfumes are limited too.
Shipping Perfume Internationally: The Recap
Perfume and makeup products are some of the top product categories that are sold online. There are many platforms that sell them, but shipping them can be a challenge because of the nature of the products and the containers they come in.
Alcohol is one of the ingredients of perfumes or cologne and other beauty products, and many countries prohibit it from being shipped. Nail polish is another item that’s difficult to ship because of its ingredients.
However, by understanding courier rules, packing the products being shipped securely, and choosing the best shipping solution available, you can send makeup in the mail safely, and effectively!
Shipping Perfume & Makeup FAQ
Is perfume hazardous to ship?
Any alcohol-based perfumes fall under Hazmat Class 3 since they are flammable liquids.
Does makeup get ruined in shipping?
You can prevent damage during transit if you use ample cushioning materials like bubble wrap and other packing supplies.
What happens if you send perfume in the mail?
As long as you follow courier regulations for shipping perfume, you're all set to go.