Shipping to Spain is a great opportunity for online entrepreneurs looking to move into the realm of global eCommerce. If you’re a growth-minded online store owner looking to boost your business by engaging in cross-border sales, it’s time to find out more about how you can further grow your revenue by expanding to online shoppers in Spain.
With over 24.7 million online shoppers who spend approximately $776.66 each annually, Spain represents a robust and growing eCommerce market. Out of the total number of online shoppers in Spain, 61 percent of them are willing to buy goods from international sellers – great news if you’re looking into shipping to Spain from the USA and elsewhere abroad. Not surprisingly, there’s a projected increase of Spain’s online shoppers to approximately 30.5 million by 2021, who are expected to spend approximately $894.07 each annually by that year.
Interested in finding out more about this exciting cross-border sales opportunity? Read on to explore important market insights and other key information.
Spain eCommerce Landscape
Compared to other European nations, Spain’s eCommerce development has admittedly been on the slower side. However, what Spain lacks in the development pace, it more than makes up for in sheer size, being the largest and most influential eCommerce market in Southern Europe.
In addition, statistics show that Spain has approximately 82.2 percent overall Internet penetration, with smartphone penetration notably being 66.8 percent. With over five million new shoppers expected to join the trend within the next few years, Spain currently represents a prime opportunity for online merchants looking to expand on a global scale.
Fortunately, Easyship can help your eCommerce company find the cheapest way to ship to Spain from the U.S. and other countries without compromising on the quality of your customer service, giving you a key edge against competitors.
What are the most popular online marketplaces in Spain?
Just like other countries, Spain has its fair share of popular online marketplaces that online merchants should consider if they intend on entering the Spanish eCommerce market. Some of these online markets include the following:
- Privalia: This site is mainly for those into fashion retailing. Apart from having a stronghold in Spain, Privalia also has huge online audience in Italy, Mexico, Germany and Brazil. It has approximately 24 million registered users.
- Spartoo: Although this site is not a Spanish marketplace, it has become very popular in Spain, especially for shoes and clothing. So, if your business intends on shipping to Spain and still targeting customers from other European markets, Spartoo is an excellent option.
- Carrefour: With this unique marketplace, you’re able to sell to potential customers both online and in traditional brick-and-mortar retail. It offers a variety of products ranging from consumer electronics to fashion, leisure, sports and much more.
- Amazon: eCommerce titan Amazon also has a strong presence in Spain. One good thing about Amazon is that your products can easily be listed on the Spanish marketplace if you have an already-existing UK Amazon account. Amazon offers international shipping programs that are designed to enlighten eCommerce business owners on the steps needed for cross-border eCommerce. If you’re ready to start shipping to Spain from the USA, UK and other countries, Amazon is always a great option.
These are just a few of the popular online marketplaces in Spain. Other popular marketplaces include:
- El Corte Ingles
- Lets Bonus
- Mil Anunacios
- Segunda Mano
What do the Spanish like to buy online?
It is not just enough for you to get familiar with the popular online marketplaces in Spain – understanding the habits of Spanish online shoppers is also critical.
Some of the most popular product categories are:
- Fashion, particularly clothing and footwear
- Food and drink
- Books and music
- Travel and tickets
When it comes to payments, the Spanish online audience prefers making payments through:
- Credit and debit cards
- Payment platforms such as PayPal
Shipping to Spain
Spain, while a very open economic market, does have restrictions and prohibitions on certain products entering its borders like every country does. Specifically, some of these prohibited items include:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Asbestos fibers
- Animal skins
- Certain U.S. beef hormones
- Chemicals, both hazardous and non-hazardous
- Non-prescription drugs
- Illicit narcotics and drugs
Additional prohibited items can be found here.
How Easyship Can Help with Shipping to Spain
Easyship offers you the cheapest way to ship to Spain from the U.S. and other countries, as you have over 250 shipping options to choose from with pre-negotiated rates, including USPS shipping to Spain. With our shipping rates calculator, you can easily compare courier rates as well as enjoy full tax and duty automation, generate labels, schedule pickups and monitor shipments to the country.
With these features, your company can obtain hassle-free international shipping to Spain from around the globe.
Spain, with its growing cadre of online shoppers and robust eCommerce market, offers an excellent eCommerce opportunity for SMBs looking to go cross-border. If you’re ready to increase your online store’s revenue by exporting to the large and growing Spanish eCommerce market, simply take a few minutes to sign up for a free Easyship account now!