UPS SurePost and UPS Ground are both reliable, economical shipping services with affordable rates.
Though UPS Ground and UPS SurePost are both economy services, UPS Ground is the cheaper shipping option. On the other hand, UPS SurePost offers free Saturday delivery since SurePost relies on USPS for the final leg of delivery. So while both are excellent shipping options, UPS Ground and UPS SurePost are uniquely different.
In this blog, we’ll compare the differences between UPS SurePost vs. Ground so you can decide what works best for your eCommerce business.
Table of Contents
The Differences: UPS SurePost vs. Ground
UPS SurePost and UPS Ground are reliable shipping services that deliver to the US and US territories. More importantly, SurePost hands off the final leg of delivery to the US Postal Service (USPS), which adds some time to delivery. Unlike SurePost, UPS Ground guarantees your delivery is on time, or you can file for a reimbursement.
Here’s how UPS SurePost vs. Ground differs:
Delivery lead time
- UPS Ground: Delivery in 1-5 business days
- UPS SurePost: Delivery in 2-7 business days
- UPS Ground: More expensive but shorter delivery lead time
- UPS SurePost: Pay $10.52 to ship a 5-pound package from Florida to New York, compared to $17.25 for Ground
- UPS Ground: Day-definite delivery or your money back and shorter delivery lead times
- UPS SurePost: Offers Saturday delivery at no additional cost because USPS handles the final leg of delivery
Overall, if you’re not in a rush, UPS SurePost is a cost-effective way to ship. But, if you want a day-definite delivery service in less than a week, UPS Ground is the better option.
Related post: UPS vs. USPS: 2021 Shipping Comparison
Basics of UPS Ground Shipping
UPS Ground is an economy shipping service that delivers in 1-5 business days, guaranteed. Ground ships within the 50 US states, plus Puerto Rico.
Here are the features of UPS Ground:
- Guaranteed delivery: Know when your shipments will arrive for peace of mind. If your package is late, file a claim to get a full refund.
- Included insurance: Your shipment includes $100 of shipping insurance
- Tracking visibility: Track your shipment with UPS via their website or mobile app
Basics of UPS SurePost
UPS SurePost is an economy ground service that relies on USPS for the final leg of delivery. That means shipments typically arrive one business day later than shipping options like UPS Ground.
Here are some other features of UPS SurePost:
- Affordable shipping rates: Since UPS SurePost uses USPS for the final leg of delivery, UPS you’ll save some extra cash on shipping
- Weekend delivery available: Get free Saturday delivery with UPS SurePost since USPS handles last-mile delivery via their website or mobile app
- Included insurance: Receive up to $100 of shipping insurance for your parcel.
How to Pay Less for UPS Shipping
Finding the cheapest shipping rates is accessible for eCommerce businesses of all sizes, not just high-volume shippers. Having said that, it makes it easy for companies to scale their business globally when accessing heavily discounted rates.
Easyship’s Free Shipping Rates Calculator makes it possible to access the cheapest rates possible for UPS shipping. Users save up to 70% off discounted shipping rates on 250+ couriers.
Say you want to ship a 5-pound package from New York to Dallas, Texas. First, we’ll calculate how much UPS retail shipping rates cost.
Below are the cheapest shipping rates from UPS
- UPS Ground: $17.25
- UPS 3 Day Select: $41.20
Now, let’s use our free shipping rates calculator to find the cheapest shipping rates available.
As we can see, Easyship offers high-volume discounts for the following UPS shipping rates from NY to Dallas:
- UPS Next Day Air: $49.79 with $26.79 in savings
- UPS Ground: $12.89 with $12.89 in savings
- UPS 2nd Day Air: $24.66
Easyship users save big when shipping and receive up to $5,000 of shipping insurance for any shipment. Connect with our shipping experts and access 24/7 customer support when you sign up for a free account.
How Easyship Can Help
When it comes to UPS SurePost vs. Ground, you’ll want to consider delivery lead time, price, and other factors to see what works best for your eCommerce business.
UPS Ground offers day-definite service with a lead time of one to five business days with guaranteed delivery or your money back. On the other hand, UPS SurePost typically takes one business day longer because UPS relies on USPS for the final leg of delivery.
Connecting with a reliable shipping platform to access high-volume discount rates is easier than you might think. Easyship is the leading shipping platform that offers users up to 76% off discounted shipping rates, including UPS. Plus, if you have your own UPS account, you can easily connect it with Easyship to instantly access our high-volume discounts.
Ready to ship with UPS? Sign up for a free Easyship account today and learn how you can save big on shipping rates.
If you found this article informative, you may enjoy the following: