- WooCommerce is a plugin that allows you to turn your WordPress website into an eCommerce store
- Shopify Plus is an enterprise-level and high-growth version of Shopify
Choosing between an open-source platform and a fully hosted one all depends on your business needs. In this blog we'll compare WooCommerce and Shopify Plus.
If you follow the trends, you will know that WooCommerce vs Shopify is a hot eCommerce platform comparison. WooCommerce and Shopify are great eCommerce options for merchants starting out. Regardless, assessing the platform that offers you the most benefits is crucial.
While you can use any of the platforms to sell any products you want, their make-up is different from each other. It is only ideal that you need a comprehensive guide to walk you through the difference between both platforms. WooCommerce is a WordPress-powered website, while Shopify Plus is an enterprise-level alternative to Shopify. Yet, that is not all about these platforms.
This blog post offers the necessary information you need to make your decision. Let's compare WooCommerce vs Shopify.
Table of Contents
What is WooCommerce?
If you are already familiar with WordPress, WooCommerce is a compatible plugin that allows you to turn your WordPress website into an eCommerce store. Following installation, you can start uploading shopping carts and products on your WordPress website. Afterwards, customers can visit your website, shop and checkout.
Unlike hosted eCommerce platforms, WooCommerce is open source, which means it is publicly available for use without a licensing fee and offers you unlimited customizations. You can also choose from the available WooCommerce hosting vendors to get your store running.
With close to 30 million WooCommerce downloads, you can bet that this WordPress plugin has many benefits for eCommerce businesses of all sizes.
Advantages of WooCommerce
WooCommerce is often regarded as one of the best eCommerce plugins for WordPress. Let's find out why business owners are saying that.
- Compared to other platforms that require a level of tech-savviness, WooCommerce is beginner friendly
- WooCommerce wins hearts because it is flexible and easy to use
- Being open source, users of WooCommerce have access to unlimited customization and additional plugins for increased functionality
- WooCommerce makes it easy for you to sell anything. So whether you are a new small business owner or a brick-and-mortar store seeking online expansion, WooCommerce allows you to sell various products, from digital to physical products. Additionally, you can use the website for dropshipping!
- Retailers tend to benefit from the WooCommerce community. With many professionals vast in WordPress and WooCommerce, you don't have to be boxed up on the number of features you want for your Woocommerce store. You can get professional developers to help you achieve the perfect customization you want for your store
- WooCommerce has an inbuilt data analytics feature that allows you to measure KPIs. These features give you access to learn about how your products' marketing efforts are doing and how your customers interact with them
- Woocommerce has an organized Content Marketing System (CMS) that helps business owners improve sales. With CMS, eCommerce can leverage email marketing, blogging, and other SEO-optimized channels to create content and reach their target audience
- WooCommerce is made for eCommerce with integrated payment solutions and shipping platforms to help retailers get the most experience
Cons of WooCommerce
- It can't be used for sites that are not hosted on WordPress
- Additional WooCommerce plugins and extensions required for optimized functionality can be expensive
What is Shopify Plus?
Everyone who uses Shopify knows it is one of the top eCommerce platforms for online store owners. On its own, Shopify has a significant record of successful store owners on the platform who have built their businesses from the ground up. So when we talk about Shopify Plus, we can only expect something more. Shopify Plus is a platform for enterprise-level and high-growth businesses that allows users to maximize additional features as they scale up.
As your business grows and expands, you need a fully hosted platform that is designed for the growth stage that your business is in. So let's say you want to expand your Shopify or you need a platform that will give you a robust structure to manage more inventory, sales and customers.
Benefits of Upgrading to Shopify Plus
- Access to Shopify Plus features like Launchpad and Flow. With Flow, you can now automate manual tasks like order processes. On the other hand, Launchpad allows you to automate flash sales and product launches
- Using Shopify Pay relieves customers of entering their payment details after every purchase. Customers can now checkout within by using a verification code sent to their devices
- Shopify Plus is cost-effective, considering the maintenance and monitoring of the server. Compared to other fully hosted platforms that cost thousands of dollars to maintain, Shopify takes care of the server, saving users money
- The Shopify Plus Merchant Success Program is a type of support system for Shopify Plus users. It focuses on aspects that help merchants make the most of the platform
- Shopify Plus allows you to customize your checkout page according to your preferred currency, text, layout and many more
- There is no limit to your staff account on Shopify Plus
- Additional API integrations
Cons of Shopify Plus
- Expensive when compared to other Shopify plans
- Not friendly for websites that intend to leverage content creation
- Requires a level of expertise to be able to operate
Related Post: Shopify vs Shopify Plus: What are the Main Differences?
What's Better: Woocommerce or Shopify?
One of the most common questions eCommerce merchants are primarily confronted with is what's the best platform to use. With many platforms improving their offers, choosing the best one for your business can be pretty challenging. If you have narrowed your options to WooCommerce vs Shopify Plus, you should look for the one that will serve your business the best benefits in the long run. Let us first consider what the statistics say about these two platforms.
Of all WordPress-powered websites, about 21% use WooCommerce and over 30,000 WooCommerce plugins are downloaded on WordPress daily. While this shows high platform usage based on reliability, it also means that you must be proficient in using WordPress. For someone who does not know WordPress, navigating and understanding how the platform works might be complex. Also, WooCommerce holds the position of being the second most popular open-source platform.
On the other hand, Shopify Plus has close to 26,000 live stores, many of which utilize social media for marketing. Yet, that is not all; 79% of Shopify Plus store owners use email marketing. While WooCommerce takes the top spot for its Content Marketing System, Shopify Plus merchants can install Klaviyo, an email and SMS Shopify app, to complement their efforts.
Considering the above, we will compare WooCommerce and Shopify plus based on Ease of Use, Design, and Support.
Ease of Use
If you are proficient in WordPress, then WooCommerce is easy to use. However, it can be a learning curve for someone without an idea about site-building. Since Shopify offers sufficient resources to create your store, Shopify Plus is easy to set up and run as you progress.
WooCommerce is an open-source website which means there are tons of WooCommerce plugins on customizations and themes that can help you improve layout and functionality. On the other hand, Shopify Plus has templates that users can choose from to upgrade the outlook of their store.
Shopify is known for its 24/7 prompt support, yet Shopify Plus is better with its customized support system called Shopify Plus Merchant Success Program. On the other hand, WooCommerce has limited customer support.
WooCommerce vs Shopify Plus: Price Comparison
Like WordPress, WooCommerce is free to use. You only incur charges for additional plugins. The major services that you pay for are SSL certificates, hosting, payment gateway, theme cost, security and SEO.
Shopify Plus costs a monthly charge of $2000 with many features needed to get your store started and running.
WooCommerce vs Shopify Plus with Easyship
Knowing the difference between the two platforms is enough to help you decide. It's pretty easy with WooCommerce vs Shopify Plus because both platforms' build-up and features already point to the target business kinds that would benefit most from using them.
If you are proficient in WordPress and need a platform that affords you robust content marketing opportunities, WooCommerce is the best option. On the other hand, Shopify Plus has its own audience - high-growth enterprises seeking additional features for more inventory and customers.
Whether you use WooCommerce or Shopify Plus, Easyship can help you manage logistics for your online business. Imagine using the best platform for your eCommerce business and having Easyship provide you with optimized features to afford you a hassle-free shipping experience. Easyship is integrated with both WooCommerce and Shopify Plus. Click the features below to find out more about how Easyship can support you.
Free Shipping Rates Calculator: Get instant access to high-volume discounts from over 250 global couriers
Shipping Policy Generator: Our shipping policy generator helps merchants and crowdfunding campaigns generate their shipping policy by providing tracking and insurance options, plus other vital information for your shipping process
Ready to ship? Sign up for a FREE Easyship account, connect your store in just a few clicks and get instant access to great shipping discounts!