- World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated on March 15th and protects consumers from unfair trade practices
- The history of World Consumer Rights Day dates back to 1962
- Easyship can help you offer your customers a great experience
Consumers are the most important part of any business, and their protection is of utmost importance. Every year, on March 15th, World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated to raise awareness about the rights of consumers worldwide and protect them from unfair trade practices.
The history of World Consumer Rights Day dates back to 1962 when President John F. Kennedy introduced four basic consumer rights in his speech to the US Congress. These rights included the right to safety, the right to be informed, the right to choose, and the right to be heard. Since then, consumer rights have evolved, and new rights have been added to the list.
Why is National Consumer Rights Day important?
Consumer protection is critical for the well-being of society as a whole. National Consumer Rights Day is celebrated to commemorate the enactment of the Consumer Protection Act in India. This act was passed in 1986 and aims to protect the interests of consumers against unfair trade practices. The act has been amended several times to strengthen consumer rights and ensure their protection.
Did you know? There are over 200 consumer advocacy members in over 100 countries.
What is the theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2023?
This year, in 2023, the theme for World Consumer Rights day is "Clean Energy Transitions. With the cost of living still rising and supply and climate issues still in effect, taking a closer look at providing cleaner energy to consumers is a great theme for the year.
Global energy prices are set to increase even more this year so gaining access to affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy will have a huge effect on climate change.
Related post: Shipping & Logistics Trends for 2023
What are the types of consumer rights?
Consumer rights can be classified into six categories:
- The right to safety: Consumers have the right to be protected against products that are hazardous to their health and safety.
- The right to be informed: Consumers have the right to receive accurate information about the products and services they purchase.
- The right to choose: Consumers have the right to choose from a range of products and services at competitive prices.
- The right to be heard: Consumers have the right to voice their opinions and complaints about products and services.
- The right to redress: Consumers have the right to seek compensation or redress for faulty or unsatisfactory products and services.
- The right to consumer education: Consumers have the right to education about their rights and responsibilities as consumers.
Let's test your knowledge of Consumer Rights!
Which of the following is not a consumer's international right?
A) The right to safety
B) The right to be informed
C) The right to choose
D) The right to be entertained
The correct answer is D) the right to be entertained. While consumers have the right to choose entertainment, it is not considered a fundamental consumer right. However, if you work in the entertainment industry, it goes without saying that this should also be a main focus to increase consumer interest!
World Consumer Rights Day is significant as it serves as an annual reminder of the importance of consumer activism and the role of the United Nations in protecting and promoting consumer rights worldwide. It's a day to celebrate and raise global awareness of consumer rights and the challenges they face. If you're a business owner offering goods and services in particular, it's essential that you're aware of all consumer rights so you can continue to run a business that keeps your customers satisfied.
Here are some tools to help you provide the best service to your consumers:
Free Shipping Policy Generator: By answering a few simple questions, we can create a tailor-made policy that includes must-have guidelines for business and consumer protection including all the legal and sales info you need for your business.
Resource Hub: Check out our free guide, including all the info you need to ship internationally with ease
Sign up today for a free Easyship account and we can help you manage your orders and ship with ease so you can spend more time putting your customers as the focus.
World Consumer Rights Day FAQ
What is World Consumer Rights Day?
World consumer rights day is a time to celebrate the international consumer movement, promote consumer rights and ensure that they are protected from unfair trade practices.
When is World Consumer Rights Day 2023 celebrated?
It is celebrated on March 15.
What was the theme of World Consumer Rights Day 2022?
The theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2022 was Fair Digital Finance.