Are you looking to scale your eCommerce business into new markets? Consider Puerto Rico. The US territory has an excellent eCommerce market that you can leverage to grow your business. A recent Mastercard study shows that the island leads the 9 countries in the region in terms of online purchases by smartphones.
If you are an eCommerce retailer shipping to Puerto Rico, it is certainly important that you find and adopt the best shipping strategies to cater to your buyers there — and to help your business gain a strong foothold in the market. That means you need to offer a range of affordable shipping solutions.
In this article, we help you figure out delivery times and cost when shipping to Puerto Rico, and the different courier services and rates you can leverage. We also show you how to find the cheapest shipping option from the USA to Puerto Rico, and give you Puerto Rico shipping tips and mistakes to avoid when sending packages there.
Don't forget that Easyship gives SMEs the shipping tools they need to find the cost-effective ways to ship globally. With our shipping rates calculator and courier comparison tool, we ensure that you always find the best courier services and rates when shipping around the world — without compromising on customer experience.
Shipping to Puerto Rico
Cross-border shipping comes with its share of additional costs and complexities. Unless you understand the different facets of sending packages across borders, it can prove to be a bit frustrating. Shipping to Puerto Rico is no exception. But don't give up! Finding the cheapest shipping solution can be a game changer to your bottom line — and buyer’s experience. Here, we breakdown vital information for you.
How Long Does Shipping to Puerto Rico take?
One of the most important things to establish when shipping anywhere is how long it will take for your parcels to arrive. As you would expect, delivery timelines to Puerto Rico, just like any other country, are determined by the delivery option or the courier service you choose. Expedited shipping options are usually expensive, while cheap shipping is likely to be slower.
For example, it will take 2 days when shipping a 5lb package from the US to Puerto Rico with FedEx International Economy service, and one day when shipping the same package with FedEx International Priority. Sending it with UPS ground takes up to 6 days, while DHL Express Worldwide delivers within 2 days.
So, delivery time to Puerto Rico may be anywhere between 1-3 days with expedited and standard services, and up to 6 days with ground services.
How Much Does it Cost to Ship to Puerto Rico?
There is no universal standard cost when it comes to shipping to Puerto Rico, as this will be determined by several factors. These factors include:
- The weight of the package: The more a package weighs, the more you’;l pay for its delivery.
- Package dimensions: Items with irregular shapes and dimensions occupy more space and are more expensive to ship.
- Courier service and delivery timeline: Expedited delivery options are more costly as they ship faster than standard or ground shipping, which comes at a cheaper price with a longer delivery time. Different couriers will also have different rates for the same package weight and dimensions.
While you have little control over your package weight and dimensions, it is up to you to decide how faster you want it delivered. That means you can sacrifice delivery speed and go for the cheapest way to ship to Puerto Rico as long as you don't mind waiting for a little longer to have your package delivered.
Factors to Consider When Shipping to Puerto Rico
There are some factor that you should keep in mind when shipping to Puerto Rico. They include:
- Customs: Most of the time, you won't need to fill out customs paperwork when shipping to Puerto Rico. But just in case you are required to complete customs paperwork declaration, Easyship can help quicken your customs declaration process with automatically generated customs forms and shipping labels.
- Restricted or prohibited items: When shipping to Puerto Rico, you should be aware of what can and can't be shipped there to ensure your packages don't breach the country's shipping protocols.
- Fragile packages: If you’re sending fragile or sensitive items that require special handling, you should let your courier know. Although this will lead to handling fees and affect your ability to find the cheapest way to ship to Puerto Rico, it is better than having your package damaged and suffering monetary loss.
Does FedEx/UPS/USPS Ship to Puerto Rico?
The good news is that all four major couriers offer a variety of shipping services to Puerto Rico. Whether you want expedited shipping services to have your package delivered within the shortest time possible, or the cheapest shipping option to cut down on shipping cost, you are sure to get a service that suits your budget and needs. Here are some of the services you can leverage:
- USPS Priority Domestic: This is the cheapest option. Packages are delivered within one to seven business days.
- FedEx International Economy: With this service, you will have your packages delivered within two days.
- FedEx International Priority: You/ill have packages delivered within 24 hours when using this service.
- UPS Ground: It will take up to six days to have your package delivered with UPS ground.
- UPS 2nd Day Air: Your package will reach its destination within two days.
- UPS Next Day Air: Your package will be delivered within 24 hours.
- DHL Express Worldwide: This Is one of the cheapest options and your packages will arrive within two days.
What's the Cheapest Shipping Options from the USA to Puerto Rico?
If you;re an eCommerce merchant based in the continental US, and you want to find the cheapest option to mail packages to Puerto Rico, all you need to do is use the right shipping tools to find the best courier services and the cheapest shipping rates from various carriers.
To find the cheapest option, use a shipping rates calculator to compare shipping rates charged by various shipping companies and third-party logistic companies so that you can choose the most affordable shipping option.
You should also keep in mind that the cheapest shipping option may not always offer the best customer experience. That is why you should also use a courier comparison tool to compare the different couriers and their shipping services, shipping times, and other services such as tracking, weekend deliveries, and any other essential services for cheap package delivery.
Here is a ballpark price for mailing a 5lb package from the USA to Puerto Rico.
|USPS Priority Domestic||$13.15||1-3 days|
|UPS Ground||$49.25||6 days|
|UPS 2nd Day Air||$62.51||2 Days|
|UPS Next Day Air||$103.17||1 day|
|FedEx International Economy||$67.59||2 days|
|FedEx International Priority||$127.98||1 day|
|DHL Express Worldwide||$45.43||2 days|
Before you can make the final decision on the above couriers concerning which one offers the most affordable route, you should also consider other value-added shipping services attached to each one of them such as free drop-off, delivery schedule, package tracking and free packaging.
9 Puerto Rico Shipping Tips (For Affordable Shipping)
Finding the cheapest shipping option and liaising with the best courier service solves part of the puzzle. But successful shipping goes beyond that! Here are some tips that you should consider, and some mistakes to avoid.
- Check the recipient's address to avoid delivery exceptions or delays..
- Make sure you enter the correct package weight and dimensions to get accurate quotes and avoid paying more than you should.
- Offer your buyers a range of shipping options to choose from to build a sense of agency and trust.
- Ease and quicken your shipping process by taking advantage of a platform like Easyship to automate much of the process.
- Don't just rely on one carrier — Easyship helps you work with multiple carriers.
- Make sure you understand the customs requirements as well as shipping restrictions when shipping to Puerto Rico.
- Have a clear, easy to understand return policy for your buyers.
- You may be charged duties and taxes when sending certain items to Puerto Rico. Decide upfront who should pay for these. You or the customer.
- Partner with a local fulfillment center or warehouse.
How to Send a Parcel to Puerto Rico with Easyship
Sending packages across borders has never been easier, especially when you want to find the cheapest way to ship to Puerto Rico from the USA. Easyship offers you the following shipping tools and features to help you find the best shipping solution to Puerto Rico:
- More than 250 affordable shipping services
- Shipping rates calculator and courier comparison tools
- Rates at Checkout feature for most accurate quotes
- Automated, pre-filled customs forms and shipping label generation
- Discounted shipping rates up to 70%
Sign up for a free Easyship account today and let us help you discover the best shipping strategy and solution so that you can make an informed decision shipping to Puerto Rico and beyond.
If you found this article informative, you might enjoy the following: