- It takes 2 working days when shipping a 5-pound package from the US to Puerto Rico with UPS 2nd Day Air, and just one day when shipping with UPS Next Day Air
- Aramex - Parcel takes 10-15 days to ship your 5-pound parcel from the US to Puerto Rico
- Easyship offers discounted shipping rates up to 91% off for 250+ couriers around the world, including shipping to Puerto Rico
Looking for the cheapest shipping options to Puerto Rico? In this article we'll break down how to find the cheapest, best value and fastest courier services available. Plus, how Easyship's market leading shipping tools can help you find the best solution for your growing online store instantly.
The US overseas territory's eCommerce market is currently valued at $1.3 Billion. Combined with a strong annual growth rate of 5.59%, this is expected to explode to over $3.9 Billion by 2027. Showing huge potential for ambitious eCommerce entrepreneurs.
Table of Contents
Shipping to Puerto Rico: Basics
Cross-border shipping comes with its share of additional costs and complexities. Unless you understand the different facets of sending packages across borders, it can prove to be a bit frustrating. Shipping to Puerto Rico is no exception. But don't give up! Finding the cheapest shipping solution can be a game-changer to your bottom line — and buyer’s experience. Here, we break down vital information for you.
How Long Does Shipping to Puerto Rico Take?
One of the most important things to establish when shipping anywhere is how long it will take for your parcels to arrive. As you would expect, delivery timelines to Puerto Rico, just like any other country, are determined by the delivery option or the courier service you choose. Expedited shipping options are usually expensive, while cheap shipping is likely to be slower.
For example, it will take 2 days when shipping a 5lb package from the US to Puerto Rico with FedEx International Economy service, and one day when shipping the same package with FedEx International Priority. Sending it with UPS ground takes up to 6 days, while DHL Express Worldwide delivers within 2 days.
So, delivery time to Puerto Rico may be anywhere between 1–3 days with expedited and standard services, and up to 6 days with ground services.
How Much Does it Cost to Ship to Puerto Rico?
There is no universal standard cost when it comes to shipping to Puerto Rico, as this will be determined by several factors. These factors include:
- The weight of the package: The more a package weighs, the more you'll pay for its delivery.
- Package dimensions: Items with irregular shapes and dimensions occupy more space and are more expensive to ship.
- Courier service and delivery timeline: Expedited delivery options are more costly as they ship faster than standard or ground shipping, which comes at a cheaper price with a longer delivery time. Different couriers will also have different rates for the same package weight and dimensions.
While you have little control over your package weight and dimensions, it is up to you to decide how faster you want it delivered. That means you can sacrifice delivery speed and go for the cheapest way to ship to Puerto Rico as long as you don't mind waiting for a little longer to have your package delivered.
Factors to Consider When Shipping to Puerto Rico
There are some factors that you should keep in mind when shipping to Puerto Rico. They include:
- Customs: You won't need to fill out customs paperwork when shipping to Puerto Rico most of the time. But just in case you are required to complete customs paperwork declaration, Easyship can help quicken your customs declaration process with automatically generated customs forms and shipping labels.
- Restricted or prohibited items: When shipping to Puerto Rico, you should be aware of what can and can't be shipped there to ensure your packages don't breach the country's shipping protocols.
- Fragile packages: If you’re sending fragile or sensitive items that require special handling, you should let your courier know. Although this will lead to handling fees and affect your ability to find the cheapest way to ship to Puerto Rico, it is better than having your package damaged and suffering monetary loss.
Does FedEx/UPS/USPS Ship to Puerto Rico?
The good news is that all four major couriers offer a variety of shipping services to Puerto Rico. Whether you want expedited shipping services to have your package delivered within the shortest time possible, or the cheapest shipping option to cut down on shipping cost, you are sure to get a service that suits your budget and needs. Here are some of the services you can leverage:
- USPS Priority Domestic: This is the cheapest option. Packages are delivered within one to seven business days.
- FedEx International Economy: With this service, you will have your packages delivered within two days.
- FedEx International Priority: You/ill have packages delivered within 24 hours when using this service.
- UPS Ground: It will take up to six days to have your package delivered with UPS ground.
- UPS 2nd Day Air: Your package will reach its destination within two days.
- UPS Next Day Air: Your package will be delivered within 24 hours.
- DHL Express Worldwide: This is one of the cheapest options and your packages will arrive within two days.
What Are the Cheapest Shipping Options from the USA to Puerto Rico?
If you're an eCommerce merchant based in the continental US, and you want to find the cheapest option to mail packages to Puerto Rico, all you need to do is use the right shipping tools to find the best courier services and the cheapest shipping rates from various carriers.
To find the cheapest option, use a shipping rates calculator to compare shipping rates charged by various shipping companies and third-party logistic companies so that you can choose the most affordable shipping option.
You should also keep in mind that the cheapest shipping option may not always offer the best customer experience. That is why you should also use a courier comparison tool to compare the different couriers and their shipping services, shipping times, and other services such as tracking, weekend deliveries, and any other essential services for cheap package delivery.
Here are example Easyship rates for mailing a 5lb package from the USA to Puerto Rico.
|Courier Service||Lead Time||Tracking||Total Cost|
|UPS 2nd Day Air®||2 working days||Excellent||$43.25|
|UPS Next Day Air®||1 working day||Excellent||$72.33|
|Aramex - Parcel||10 - 15 working days||Basic||$168.58|
Before you can make the final decision on the above couriers concerning which one offers the most affordable route, you should also consider other value-added shipping services attached to each one of them such as free drop-off, delivery schedule, package tracking and free packaging.
9 Puerto Rico Shipping Tips (For Affordable Shipping)
Finding the cheapest shipping option and liaising with the best courier service solves part of the puzzle. But successful shipping goes beyond that! Here are some tips that you should consider, and some mistakes to avoid.
- Check the recipient's address to avoid delivery exceptions or delays..
- Make sure you enter the correct package weight and dimensions to get accurate quotes and avoid paying more than you should.
- Offer your buyers a range of shipping options to choose from to build a sense of agency and trust.
- Ease and quicken your shipping process by taking advantage of a platform like Easyship to automate much of the process.
- Don't just rely on one carrier — Easyship helps you work with multiple carriers.
- Make sure you understand the customs requirements as well as shipping restrictions when shipping to Puerto Rico.
- Have a clear, easy-to-understand return policy for your buyers.
- You may be charged duties and taxes when sending certain items to Puerto Rico. Decide upfront who should pay for these. You or the customer.
- Partner with a local fulfillment center or warehouse.
How Easyship Can Help
Looking to ship to customers in Puerto Rico? With our network of 250+ couriers worldwide, we are dedicated to helping ambitious entrepreneurs boost profits and successfully scale. Whether your customers are in San Juan or Chicago, we've got you covered.
- Save up to 76% on UPS Worldwide Saver®
- Save up to 33% on SF Express
- Save up to 52% on Asendia - e-PAQ Plus
- Save up to 73% on DHL – Express Worldwide
- Save up to 91% on DHL eCommerce services
We understand the challenges of shipping to overseas territories. That's why we've designed our user-friendly shipping tools to help you provide an exceptional delivery experience for your customers. Check out some of our most popular features and sign up for free:
- Shipping Rate Calculator: Easily find the best deals by comparing exclusive rates from over 550+ courier services worldwide.
- Insurance: Keep your shipments safe and secure with up to $10,000 in insurance coverage, so you can focus on scaling your store.
- Tracking: Boost customer satisfaction with custom-branded tracking emails and automatic message alerts throughout the delivery process.
Join the thousands of ambitious eCommerce entrepreneurs who use Easyship to power their shipping every day. Start saving on shipping costs and delivering a winning experience to your customers in Puerto Rico today!
If you found this article informative, you might enjoy the following: