- Parcels shipped using expedited delivery services can reach the UK within 1-2 business days
- FedEx International Drop Off is one of the cheapest shipping options to the UK and takes about 2-5 days for parcels to be delivered
- Anytime a parcel needs to cross an international border, customs fees increase the cost
The UK was one of the first countries to embrace eCommerce, and online shopping continues to be a big trend here. Over the years, the citizens have come to embrace eCommerce and as such, adopting shipping strategies that cater to UK buyers will certainly help your online business gain a foothold in this market. This means finding and offering different shipping strategies, including the cheapest way to ship to the UK.
With this article, you will be able to make an informed decision on finding cost-effective shipping services that deliver your parcels on time and in good condition to your customers in the UK. We’ll take you through how long it takes to deliver to the UK, the cost of shipping, which couriers operate there, and of course, which is the cheapest way to ship to the UK.
Don’t forget that Easyship has helped many SMEs find the cheapest shipping to the UK, and can help you, too. Our shipping rates calculator will ensure you always find the cheapest shipping from the USA to the UK without compromising on the standard of service.
Table of Contents
How Long Does Shipping to the UK Take?
Whether you choose a cheap shipping service or more expensive options, it’s always important to know how long it will take for your parcel to arrive at its destination. For cheap parcel delivery to the UK - or indeed, any country - the delivery time is determined mostly by the type of delivery or courier service you chose.
For example, parcels shipped using expedited delivery services can reach the UK within 1-2 business days. For those that are shipped through economy delivery service, delivery times can be up to 16 days or more.
For example, FedEx International Drop Off is one of the cheapest shipping options to the UK and takes about 2-5 days for parcels to be delivered. It’s designed mainly for those looking for a combination of on-time delivery and cheap parcel delivery for the UK.
DHL offers DHL Express as one of the fastest ways to ship parcels or packages to the UK, with a delivery duration of 1-2 business days. So, as you can see, the time it takes to deliver depends on the courier service provider and the service option chosen.
How Much Does it Cost?
There are several variables that determine how much it would cost to ship a given parcel or package from the US to the UK. These variables include:
- Package weight
- Package dimensions
- Delivery timeframe
The lower these variables are (or longer, in the case of delivery time), the more likely it is that you’ll get cheap parcel delivery to the UK. For example, if you are shipping a flatscreen television, the US to UK shipping cost will be less than if you were shipping a car, especially as you have to pay additional fees and taxes on the car once it arrives in the UK.
Here are the rates for a parcel weighing 5lbs and measuring 10in x 5in x 5in from Brooklyn, New York to London, UK.
|FedEx International Next Flight||$245.20|
|FedEx International Priority||$198.20|
|FedEx International Economy||$182.35|
|USPS Priority Mail Express International||$87.60|
|USPS Priority Mail International||$76.10|
|UPS Worldwide Express® Plus||$230.46|
|UPS Worldwide Express®||$190.46|
|UPS Worldwide Saver®||$188.80|
|UPS Worldwide Expedited®||$170.57|
In terms of dimension, packages with irregular shapes or dimensions attract more fees than those with normal shapes and dimensions.
As for delivery, it is up to you to decide how quickly you want your package delivered. This means you can go for the cheapest way to ship to the UK, as long as you don’t mind your package taking a little longer to arrive at its destination.
In making a final decision on which of the above couriers offers the cheapest shipping from the USA to the UK, you should also take your time to consider the delivery schedule and other value-added services like a free drop-off, free packaging, and tracking.
Things to Consider
While looking for the cheapest package shipping to the UK, you need to consider certain things. This includes the fact that you will have to complete a customs declaration form where you’ll need to detail the contents of your parcel. Easyship can help you do this with automatically generated customs forms.
Don’t forget that the UK will have a list of restricted or prohibited items, and you should be aware that your package doesn’t breach these protocols. Similarly, if the contents of your package are fragile, you should let your courier know. Be aware that this may affect your ability to find the cheapest way to ship to the UK.
Do FedEx, UPS, and USPS Ship to the UK?
FedEx, UPS, and USPS offer a variety of international shipping services from the US to the UK. So, whether you’re looking for speedy service with all the trimmings or simply the cheapest shipping from the USA to the UK, there’ll always be a service to suit your budget and needs. Here are the courier services available:
- Shipping to The UK with FedEx
- FedEx offers the following delivery services to The UK from the US:
- FedEx International Priority (2 business days)
- FedEx International Economy (4 business days)
Shipping to The UK with UPS®
UPS offers a handful of ways to ship from The US to The UK, including:
- UPS Express Plus® (1-2 business days, by 9 AM)
- UPS Express® (1-3 business days, by 10:30 AM - 12 noon)
- UPS Express Saver® (1-5 business days)
- UPS Expedited® (2-5 business days)
- UPS Standard® (Arrives on the date scheduled)
Shipping to The UK with USPS
You can ship to The UK with USPS in any of the following ways, and the more expensive options are at the top:
- Global Express Guaranteed (1-3 business days)
- Priority Mail Express International (3-5 business days)
- Priority Mail International (6-10 business days)
- First-Class Package International (delivery time varies by destination)
What’s the Cheapest Shipping Option from the US to the UK
If you are based in the US and need to ship packages to customers in the UK, there are many things you can do to ensure you make the most of affordable shipping options. In order to find the cheapest way to ship to the UK, you need to use a shipping rate calculator. This way, you can understand the rates charged by the various shipping companies and third-party agents.
You should also take your time to compare the shipping couriers and the services they offer, the shipping times attached to the services offered, and other value-added services like tracking, free weekend deliveries, and other important options for cheap parcel delivery to the UK.
Here are the rates for a parcel weighing 5lbs and measuring 10in x 5in x 5in from Brooklyn, New York to London, UK (using Easyship's exclusive rates):
|UPS Worldwide Expedited®||$48.67|
|DHL eCommerce - Parcel Direct||$37.20|
|DHL - Express Worldwide||$81.13|
|Aramex - Economy Express ORD||$48.65|
12 UK Shipping Tips and Mistakes
Successful shipping is not just about getting the best deals and liaising with reputable couriers. There are certain tips you should take into consideration and lots of mistakes you should avoid. Some of these include:
- Ease the shipping process by using a platform that will automate much of the process, like Easyship
- Offer your customers a range of shipping options (and accurate rates!)
- Check the recipient’s address to avoid errors in package delivery
- Avoid entering inaccurate weight for your parcels and packages - doing so means you’ll end up paying more than you should for shipping
- Don’t depend on one shipping carrier - try transacting multiple carriers
- Have a clear, easy-to-understand return policy for your customers
- Understand the customs requirements and regulations for each country you want to ship to before you proceed with international shipping
- Take your time to consider the transit times for shipping services before you make a choice
- Don’t forget insurance - Easyship can offer up to $10,000 in insurance coverage
- When addressing your package, you can simply select the United Kingdom, or the name of the specific country i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland
- Make sure you have the right postal code - most UK postcodes are six or seven figures long, made up of letters and numbers, and divided into two sections i.e. SW1 3FR
- You may be charged duties and taxes for importing certain products to the UK. You should check this and decide whether you or the parcel recipient will pay for these.
In the current COVID-19 pandemic, it’s especially important that you check and follow any regulations and restrictions with international shipping. That’s because many couriers have suspended certain shipping routes and services, including signature on delivery services. Shipping is often also delayed these days, meaning you should expect it to take a few extra days for your parcel to be delivered. This is especially true if you’re using the cheapest way to ship to the UK.
The challenges posed by Brexit should also be considered, even though there are speculations that it might not affect shipping, at least for now. But, none of this should affect your ability to find the cheapest way to ship to the UK.
How to Send a Parcel to the UK with Easyship
Effectively managing the cost of international shipping has never been easier, especially if you’re looking for the cheapest way to ship to the UK or the cheapest shipping from the USA to the UK.
Easyship is committed to simplifying international shipping with its more than 250 affordable shipping services. Plus, gain access to the following features:
- Easyship Shipping Rates Calculator: Access high-volume discounts from major couriers. Plus, get instant access to delivery lead times from premium shipping couriers for faster shipping
- Global Fulfillment: Easyship has warehouse partners on four continents so that you can reach your customers all across the world. Plus, Easyship helps scale up fulfillment capabilities without increasing overhead costs
- Duties & Tax Visibility: Easyship works out all duties and taxes for your international shipments so you can handle your international orders with ease. Calculate your duties for overseas shipments here
Sign up for an Easyship account today and let us help you make an informed decision on the cheapest way to ship to the UK and beyond.
Shipping to The UK FAQ
Why is shipping to the UK so expensive?
Anytime a parcel needs to cross an international border, customs fees increase the cost. These fees can be especially higher for certain tariff-protected items.
Does Alibaba ship to the UK?
Yes, but Alibaba shipments are usually routed to Amazon warehouses or those of other importers who facilitate the import of these shipments from China.
Is Hermes cheaper than Royal Mail?
Yes, sometimes, but only for lightweight packages under 15kg.
If you found this blog informative, you may enjoy the following: