- Ecwid is an eCommerce widget that can integrate with whatever platform you already use for your website
- Shopify is an all-in-one eCommerce platform that allows you to create your own online business from scratch
- One of the main differences between Ecwid and Shopify is that one is a plugin and a site-building system
Ecwid and Shopify are two popular ways to power your online business. Currently, over 180,000+ live stores are using Ecwid for their business. On the other hand, Shopify statistics show that 1.75 million merchants sell on the Shopify platform and over 1.5 million live websites.
Choosing between Ecwid vs. Shopify depends on the needs and wants of your small business. Ecwid is an eCommerce widget that integrates with multiple platforms, while Shopify is an all-in-one eCommerce platform that offers built-in tools and features to build your online store. Both options provide basic functionalities to power your business, though Ecwid vs. Shopify varies significantly in price and features.
This blog post will go over the differences and similarities between Ecwid vs. Shopify so you can figure out which eCommerce platform is best for selling online.
Table of Contents
Ecwid is an eCommerce widget that can integrate with whatever platform you already use for your website. Merchants can directly download the Ecwid extension to their current website to start their online business.
Ecwid also stands for "eCommerce Widget" and integrates with the following solutions:
Merchants looking to use Ecwid can expect tools and features designed to help build your business, such as the following:
- Publish online catalogs of your products
- Update products (i.e., price)
- Set specific shipping rates
Ecwid also offers the "Ecwid Instant Site" feature for merchants who want to instantly create their website if they don't already have one. Though the features and tools aren't as powerful as Shopify, you can expect the following features:
- Instant site is included in any Ecwid plan and includes free hosting
- Instant site is mobile friendly and SEO friendly
If you already have a website and don't want to start from scratch, Ecwid is good for creating your online store. However, if you're looking for long-term growth for your business, you'll want to opt for Shopify.
Shopify is an all-in-one eCommerce platform that allows you to create your own online business from scratch. The eCommerce platform allows you to sell unlimited products, use multiple inventory management tools, and more when you start your Shopify store. You can also expect other features to start your Shopify stores, such as the following:
- Website and blog support
- Multi-channel integration
- 100+ payment options
- Fast loading times and website performance
Small businesses without an existing website can use Shopify to build their store from scratch for their online business. Shopify is also an excellent option for large companies looking for long-term growth.
What's the Difference Between Ecwid and Shopify?
Ecwid and Shopify are two popular choices amongst merchants to start their business. However, both platforms vary significantly in price and features.
One of the main differences between Ecwid and Shopify is that one is a plugin and a site-building system. However, before we go over the features that set Ecwid vs. Shopify apart, we'll touch upon the similarities between both platforms:
- Security/performance: Ecwid and Shopify both have impressive security features. Shopify includes free SSL security on all online stores, and Ecwid provides this feature for the Instant Site store builder. Ecwid and Shopify are also certified Level 1 PCI DSS compliant
- Ability to integrate add-ons: Both Shopify and Ecwid allows you to add integrations and applications to customize your storefront
- Inventory management capabilities: Users can add an unlimited number of items to your eCommerce stores for Ecwid or Shopify
Now, we'll highlight the main differences between Ecwid vs. Shopify so you know which platform is better for your small business:
- Pricing: Shopify may be more expensive on average than Ecwid; however, Ecwid and Shopify offer value differently. Ecwid offers pricing plans starting at $5 per month for businesses that want simple, basic stores. On the other hand, Shopify begins at $29 per month is better for those who want more advanced eCommerce features
- Functionality: Shopify is an all-in-one eCommerce platform that allows you to create your online store with a suite full of features and tools. On the other hand, Ecwid is a plugin that can be integrated with website builders like Squarespace, Wix, or WordPress. Ecwid also offers an Instant Site, though it is targeted toward small businesses on a tight budget
- Ease of use: Ecwid wins ease of use for your online store since all you need to do is integrate it with your website. Ecwid doesn't require coding, hosting, or installing anything. However, that's not to say that Shopify isn't a promising contender. Shopify is user-friendly and offers the support tools you need to get your online store up and running
- Design flexibility: Shopify offers over 100+ free and premium themes and customization tools to help you curate your brand. Ecwid has more limited design features and comes with a set store design that integrates with your existing website. For example, Ecwid limits changing the size of product images, the layout of products, and editing the color palette of your storefront
- Scalability: Shopify is designed for businesses of all sizes looking to grow their business and reach new global markets. Shopify offers powerful tools such as SEO and marketing features designed for long-term growth. On the other hand, Ecwid offers less scalable features and offers basic functionality for smaller businesses
- Payment options: Shopify supports 100+ gateways for online stores. However, Shopify charges transaction fees unless you use Shopify Payments. Ecwid supports 50+ payment gateways, and charges zero transaction fees
- Marketing/SEO capabilities: Shopify takes the cake on more powerful marketing and SEO features. For example, Shopify offers an in-house marketing system, hundreds of email marketing add-ons, and greater SEO control over your online store. On the other hand, Ecwid's SEO and marketing features aren't bad; they are just more limited
- Apps/integrations: Shopify offers 6,000+ apps on their app store, while Ecwid doesn't provide nearly as much
- Customer support: Shopify wins when it comes to help and support features such as 24/7 live chat, email, phone, and forum pages to assist merchants with their online store. Ecwid only allows live chat and phone support for premium customers
Your choice between Ecwid and Shopify comes down to the long-term growth you expect for your eCommerce business. Shopify has all the tools and features you need to build your online store from the ground up with multiple design options, multiple shipping options, and powerful marketing and SEO tools.
On the other hand, Ecwid remains a suitable option, though its tools aren't as powerful for long-term growth. Ecwid is a better option for businesses that want a cheaper option for their small business.
Related post: WooCommerce vs. Shopify: Which is Best in 2022?
Ecwid vs. Shopify Comparison of Price
Ecwid and Shopify vary in their monthly subscription plan. Shopify costs more for their subscription plans, but you get more for your money. We'll compare Ecwid vs. Shopify in this section here so you can decide which platform is best to sell products.
Ecwid pricing plans
Ecwid offers three different pricing plans depending on your needs for your online store. Here are the pricing plans you can choose from:
- Free: $0 per month
- Venture: $15 per month
- Business: $35 per month
- Unlimited plan: $99 per month
|Add up to 10 products to your catalog||Mobile point-of-sale||Marketplaces||Point of sale|
|Set up shipping and payment methods||Store management app||Wholesale pricing groups||E-goods: 25GB per file|
|Configure your store design||E-goods: 25GB per file||Abandoned cart saver||Square POS integration|
|Sell on multiple sites||Discount coupons||eBay US integration||Priority support|
|Free Instant Starter site||Automated tax calculations||Create orders|
|Google shipping||Product dimensions|
|Inventory management||Phone support|
|Access to the app market|
|Social media tools|
*To learn more about the pricing breakdown, view Ecwid's pricing plan here
Ecwid is designed for small businesses on a tight budget or if you already have an existing website that gets a decent amount of traffic. In this case, you can redirect your users to your eCommerce store.
It's also important to note that Ecwid's free plan doesn't come with live chat or mobile support for users. Overall, Ecwid offers basic functionality features for its paid plans, though you may want to consider using Shopify for long-term growth.
Shopify pricing plans
Shopify offers several different pricing plans depending on the needs of your eCommerce store. Here's a breakdown of the different options:
- Basic Shopify Plan: $29 per month + 2.9% and 30¢ per transaction
- Shopify Plan: Costs $79 per month + 2.6% and 30¢ per transaction
- Advanced Shopify Plan: Costs $299 per month + 2.4% and 30¢ per transaction
- Shopify Plus: Costs $2000 per month + 2.15% per transaction
|Inventory locations||Up to 4||Up to 5||Up to 8|
|Third-party calculated shipping rates||X||X||✓|
|Abandoned cart recovery||✓||✓||✓|
|Free SSL certificate||✓||✓||✓|
|Shipping discount||Up to 77%||Up to 88%||Up to 88%|
|Duty and import taxes||X||X||✓|
*For the full breakdown of Shopify pricing plans, check out more here
Shopify may be more expensive than Ecwid, but it's easier to scale your business globally with its features in each plan. Shopify also offers a free 14-day trial to see if it's the right fit for your business.
Ecwid vs. Shopify vs. WooCommerce
Ecwid, Shopify, and WooCommerce rank high in popularity among eCommerce merchants. Like Ecwid, WooCommerce is also a plugin integration explicitly designed for WordPress sites. On the other hand, Shopify makes it easy to build your online store from scratch and is excellent for long-term growth.
|Ease of use||Need some coding knowledge||Beginner-friendly||Beginner-friendly|
|Design/templates||Unlimited customization options||100+ free and premium themes||Under 100|
|Customer support||24/7 support||24/7 support||Live chat and phone for premium users|
|Features||Feature-rich||Feature-rich||Basic features and functionality|
|Best for:||Small or large eCommerce shops||Small shops wanting to start an online business||Small businesses on a tight budget|
WooCommerce and Ecwid are the most similar since they are both plugin integrations for your online business. All three options remain great ways to build your business, though Shopify is the clear winner for scaling your business globally.
Ecwid vs. Shopify Integration with Easyship
Ecwid and Shopify are excellent options for your online business. The main difference that sets both options apart is your preference between a plugin integration and an all-in-one website builder for your store.
Shopify is the clear winner between the two options if you're looking for long-term growth and scalability. On the other hand, if you're a smaller company with a tighter budget, Ecwid is a great option for merchants with existing websites and active users.
Easyship integrates with Ecwid and Shopify, so you quickly create a seamless shipping strategy for your eCommerce business. With Easyship, you also gain access to a suite full of features such as the following:
- Shipping Policy Generator: Our shipping policy generator helps merchants and crowdfunding campaigns generate their shipping policy by providing tracking and insurance options
- Real-Time Shipping Rates at Checkout: Easyship shows the cheapest, fastest, and best value shipping options at your store's checkout. This feature makes it easier to be flexible with your shipping options while letting customers have a choice
- Easyship Branding Suite: Easyship provides a delivery experience consistent with your brand. Add your logo and advertising materials to your packing slips, landing pages, and tracking emails
Ready to ship? Sign up for a FREE Easyship account and get instant access to high-volume discounts for your Ecwid or Shopify online store
Ecwid vs. Shopify FAQ
Does Ecwid work with Shopify?
Third-party applications like Lightspeed allow you to send information between Ecwid and Shopify.
How do I connect Shopify to Ecwid?
You can connect your Ecwid data to Shopify via third-party applications.
If you found this article informative, you may enjoy the following: