Email retargeting, also known as email remarketing, is a great way to re-engage customers who visited your online store but didn’t pull the trigger with the action you desired, particularly when it comes to completing their purchase.
But just how exactly does email retargeting work? Here’s a quick look at what it is, some tools to perform it effectively, some important tips to keep in mind and the steps to launch a successful email retargeting campaign!
What is Email Retargeting?
Email retargeting is the process of following up with your online store’s customers via email. These are visitors who engaged with your website but then left before taking any action, such as completing an order. The goal of email retargeting is to ultimately attract the visitors back to a website, typically to finish an action they started and turn into repeat customers.
Email marketing is typically used to do the following:
- Reduce shopping cart abandonment
- Follow up with inactive customers
- Follow up with customers regarding their recent purchases
- Follow up with customers who initiate but don’t finish signups
- Upsell to customers who’ve shown interest in specific products
The benefits of email retargeting are many and include higher revenue, improved organic search rankings and website traffic and increased customer engagement.
Email Retargeting Tools
Fortunately, a number of email marketing tools and software are available that make your email retargeting campaigns much simpler to run. Here’s a quick look at just a few of them!
OptinMonster: When you’re launching an email campaign, the use of optin forms is very important to the success of your campaign. With OptinMonster, you are able to create smarter, personalized and targeted forms quickly and simply. These forms can be embedded in strategic positions on your website, with the option for the forms to appear at certain times to certain visitors. The customer contact information that OptinMonster obtains can then be used in your email remarketing campaign.
Constant Contact: If you’re looking for a reliable and cost-effective email marketing services provider, Constant Contact is a great option. With this tool, you can create professional emails with existing templates, manage your subscribers, send out emails to potential and new subscribers and more. There are also lots of drag-and-drop editing tools designed to make your campaign simple to create and execute. Constant Contact offers a 60-day free trial and paid plans that start as low as $20 per month, making it a solid option for any email retargeting campaign.
SendinBlue: Manually handling all the stages of email remarketing can be very time-consuming and exhausting. SendinBlue is an email marketing software that’s designed to lessen this burden, as it helps you create and automatically send smart and highly-engaging emails to your customers. The software also helps you build automated workflows, send bulk SMS texts and segment your site’s users. It offers paid plans that start as low as $25 per month, offering yet another effective email remarketing tool to consider.
Mailjet: If you want to ensure maximum email deliverability, then Mailjet is a solid choice. Featuring drag-and-drop email creation tools, this email marketing platform is designed to put your marketing efforts first. With its real-time team collaboration feature, you’re able to efficiently design and send out up to 6,000 uniquely personalized emails per month to your customers. It offers paid plans that start as low as $9.65 per month.
AWeber: Over the years, AWeber has made a name for itself in the email marketing world. This service offers users a wide range of tools that make marketing quicker and simpler, including email building tools, contact list segmentation, autoresponders and more. Their customer support also has a reputation of being highly reliable and responsive.
Email Retargeting Strategies
When launching your email retargeting campaign, it’s important to keep a number of best practices and tips in mind. Here are just a few of them!
- Act quickly: You significantly increase the chances of retaining your customers if you send them an email within one hour of cart abandonment. This way, you’re able to keep the thought of your brand fresh in their mind, making it easier for them to potentially complete their purchase.
- Make it unique: One sure way to do this is by finding out the site visitors that are active, inactive, subscribed and the like with an email marketing segmentation tool. This way, you can send out email blasts that best suit the user’s activity level and type on your site.
- Personalize it: In order to further appeal to shoppers that abandoned their carts, always personalize the emails you send to them. Start by addressing them by their name and then offer to support them through the buying process, especially if their cart abandonment was as the result of a technical glitch.
- Show the abandoned cart’s content: Another unique email remarketing strategy is showing your customers what they had in their abandoned carts. Provide multiple shots of the product and if possible, include positive user reviews within the remarketing email.
- Indicate the cart expiry date: Let the customers know that you would gladly save and keep the products in the cart for them but only for a given period of time. This can typically be for 30 days or 60 days, after which you will return the product back to your inventory.
- Keep it simple. Keep the email short, direct and easy to read. Include a clear call to action to prompt the email recipient to complete their action quickly.
- Offer incentives. Discounted purchases, coupons and free samples are all creative ways to catch customers’ attention and get them back to your online store.
Email Retargeting Steps
To conduct an email remarketing campaign that works effectively, follow these steps!
- Collect website visitor data. Use website analytics and CRM data to gather important information about your website’s visitors, such as their location, age, gender, devices used to visit your site, the frequency of their visits and the like.
- Segment your website audience. After gathering the data, segment your audience up to design different email remarketing templates for each one. For example, an abandoned cart email should be created using different data than an inactive customer outreach email to better communicate with each audience segment.
- Set your campaign objectives. Set specific objectives for your email retargeting campaign, such as whether you want to contact visitors who abandoned their carts, re-engage with inactive customers and the like.
- Create effective emails and optin forms. Create simple optin forms with clear calls to action and personalized, direct and visual email templates for the best results.
- Automate your email campaign. Use an email marketing automation tool to automatically send out your remarketing emails to specific audience segments, which can save you a lot of time and hassle.
Email Retargeting: Attract Visitors Back to Your Online Store
Email retargeting is a simple yet effective way to boost your online store’s revenue and increase customer engagement. By using these email marketing tools and email remarketing best practices, your eCommerce business can gain a competitive edge by just sending out a few automated email blasts!