- Etsy has over 2.4 million active sellers
- Etsy handles translations in two ways - automatic and manual. If you select the automatic translation option, then your listings will appear in the searches of visitors who are using other languages
- Easyship is the perfect partner for shipping internationally on Etsy.
Etsy is one of the most popular online shopping platforms, especially for handmade and vintage products. If you want to buy or sell handmade bags, artwork or craft supplies, then Etsy is your go-to space. As a seller, Etsy international shipping might look a little intimidating. Not to worry - this article will show you how selling internationally on Etsy can be a breeze.
Right now, Etsy has over 2.4 million active sellers. And that resulted in a revenue of US$197.9 million in the third quarter of the year 2019. Etsy operates in 83 countries and about 20% of its revenue comes from overseas sales. With such a huge international audience, why limit yourself (and your sales) by only shipping domestically? You just need all the right information - and perhaps a bit of guidance - to find your way.
Currently, there are three methods for shipping internationally on Etsy. You can use FedEx, UPS, and Canada Post to get discounted rates, along with USPS.
Table of Contents
How Does Etsy Calculate International Shipping?
Etsy offers calculated rates for certain areas. If you happen to be a seller in the US shipping internationally on Etsy, you might be lucky enough to have this option. All you need to do is enter your location and zip code when you add a listing. For shipping, you’ll also need to select the countries that you will be shipping to in order to get the calculated Etsy international shipping prices.
There is another cost that needs to be considered, though. The shipping transaction fee was introduced on Etsy in July 2018, and has caused a bit of a headache for retailers. Like the 5% transaction fee that used to be charged on item price, the shipping transaction fee is 5% of the shipping cost.
Don’t forget to make sure that you have clear policies for shipping internationally on Etsy. Different regions have different customs and taxes that must be paid according to the product being shipped. In European countries, shipments are subject to VAT, but this is usually paid by the buyer. So make sure that you discuss this with your buyer beforehand (or make it obvious on your store). The buyer needs to understand that VAT is imposed by their government and that they’ll need to pay it to get their products.
You should also share all the product measurement information with your buyer. This includes size and weight. That’s because these measurements have a direct impact on the shipping cost. The buyer will have more confidence in you if you are honest and upfront with him. And that will make for an easier transaction.
In addition, communicate with your customer if you have any doubts. Talk to them if there’s a problem with their address or if you’re unsure about a certain policy in their country. Asking is better than getting frustrated or making a mistake that will make your customer unhappy.
If you understand and follow these Etsy international shipping tips, then there’s no reason that your deliveries won’t be made smoothly.
How Do I Set Up International Shipping on Etsy?
Most buyers on Etsy only see items that can be shipped to their country. To ensure that your items show up among Etsy’s search results, don’t forget to mention the countries you ship to when you enter listings.
As mentioned previously, if you’re a seller from the US or Canada, you can use calculated Etsy international shipping prices. But, if you’re a seller that has to enter the shipping prices, then follow these steps to set international shipping price:
To enter shipping prices for existing listings:
- Open “Shop Manager” and go to “Listings.” Now, select the thumbnail of the listing you want to work on and select “Edit” from the menu.
- In the “Shipping Area,” use the dropdown menu for the “Shipping Origin” option to select product’s originating country.
- Next, click on “Add Location” and select the countries you want to “Ship To.” Enter the shipping cost for each destination under “Shipping Cost.”
- You can select the option of “European Union” or “non- European Union” for a European destination. This is useful in cases where the set cost for the region is higher than the cost you enter for that destination. Whatever cost you enter will override the one that is preset for that region
- You can use the option of “Everywhere Else” to enter shipping costs for destinations you don’t want to set cost for. All the countries you don’t set up a cost for individually will automatically be marked with this cost.
How Do Etsy Listing Translations Work?
It can be very helpful to have your listings translated into specific languages for an international audience. Buyers will see listings according to the language preferences that they set. Etsy automatically translates listings either according to the user’s preferences or the country they are viewing the website from.
Etsy handles translations in two ways - automatic and manual. If you select the automatic translation option, then your listings will appear in the searches of visitors who are using other languages. But, if you have disabled this option, then your listings will only be available in the languages that you provide a manual translation for. To select or disable automatic translations:
- Go to “Shop Manager,” select “Settings” and then “Options.”
- You’ll find the automatic listing translation option here, and you can enable or disable it and then save your changes.
The manual translation was recently added to Etsy. If you can write in other languages (or have this done for you), then manual translations will ensure that your listings are optimized for search engines. To activate manual translations, you need to do the following:
- Go to “Shop Manager,” then select “Settings” and “Languages and Translations.”
- Choose “Manage Languages” and add the language you want to use.
- Now go to "Shop Manager" again and select the listing you want to translate under “Listings.”
- In the “Listings” section, go down to the “Translations” tab. There, you’ll find the designated language fields for title and description of the listing and tags in the selected language.
- Use your shop page to translate the shop title, shop announcements, message to buyers, and other shop sections, including your about page and policy page.
Etsy International Shipping: Take Your Store Global!
Etsy is a very popular platform for selling handmade goods. Although you can sell to some 83 countries around the world, international shipping can get a little tricky on Etsy. But, it can be easy if you know what you’re doing. You just need to understand how Etsy handles and calculates shipping rates, what transaction fees are involved, and how to handle paperwork and taxes. If you can answer all these questions, you won’t have any problem with Etsy international shipping.
Easyship is the perfect partner for shipping internationally on Etsy. We provide more than 250 shipping solutions ideally for sellers in the US, HongKong, Singapore, and Australia. You can integrate Etsy with Easyship to get easy shipping options. You can also schedule pick ups directly from your dashboard, or sync your orders and automatically generate shipping labels and paperwork for Etsy international shipping. You can also use our “Get a Quote” feature to help your customers understand their shipping charges. So don’t waste any more time - join Easyship and start expanding your business globally. Sign up today for a free account.