- Package weight, package dimensions, delivery speed, and courier service all come into play when finding the cheapest way to ship with FedEx
- For shipping heavy packages that are under 50lbs and envelopes under 10lbs for longer distances, FedEx One Rate packaging may be the cheapest shipping option
- Easyship can help you cover your items up to $5,000 with our exclusive rates and coverage
FedEx is one of the most well-known shipping carriers in the United States. The carrier is reputed for its fast and time-definite delivery services, backed with an impeccable tracking system.
FedEx offers several services for both domestic and international shipping to more than 220 countries and territories across the world. Being such a reliable courier, it is important that eCommerce merchants find the cheapest FedEx rate for both domestic and international shipments.
As with any other carrier, finding FedEx's cheapest shipping services depends on a number of factors such as package weight & size, delivery speed, shipping distance, and the courier service you choose. But with the right tools and a bit of research, eCommerce retailers can definitely find the most affordable rates to mail packages to any destination with FedEx.
Easyship has done a great deal of work to help merchants find affordable shipping options when mailing packages to any corner of the world. Using the Easyship courier service comparison tool, you can find FedEx's cheapest rate by comparing transit time and shipping rates for the different services.
In this article, we'll help you understand the different FedEx shipping services for both domestic and international shipping, the different variables that impact your shipping cost, and how you can find the cheapest way to ship FedEx using the Easyship shipping rates calculator.
Table of Contents
Finding The Cheapest Way to Ship with FedEx
There is no one-cost-fits-all packages when it comes to finding the cheapest FedEx rate. As you would expect, it boils down to several factors.
Here, we get up close with several variables that influence your shipping rate. They include:
- Package weight: The heavier your package, the more you will pay to have it delivered.
- Speed: FedEx expedited shipping services are more expensive than ground and economy shipping services.
- Shipping distance: The further the shipping zone, the more you will pay to have your package delivered.
- FedEx Flat Rate Packaging: When shipping heavy packages that are under 50lbs and envelopes under 10lbs for longer distances, FedEx One Rate packaging may be the cheapest shipping option.
- Custom packaging: For small, lightweight packages traveling for shorter distances, using your own packaging with FedEx SmartPost may provide the cheapest FedEx rate.
- Surcharges: Fuels and residential surcharges for remote deliveries will also impact your shipping cost. Handling fees also apply to large or fragile items.
FedEx Cheapest Domestic Shipping
FedEx offers several domestic services that are suitable for shipping different packages within the US. Here are the different FedEx domestic services that you should look for when finding the cheapest way to ship FedEx domestic.
- FedEx First Overnight
Packages are delivered the next business day between 8:00 a.m and 9:30 a.m to most areas and up to 2:00 p.m to remote locations. Optional Saturday delivery and pickup available in select locations.
Delivery takes place the next business day between 10:30 a.m and noon or up to 4:30 p.m to residences and rural locations. Optional Saturday delivery and pickup are available in select locations.
Packages are delivered the next business day by 4:30 p.m and by 8:00 pm to residences. Optional Saturday pickup is available in select locations.
Delivery takes place the second business day by 10:30 a.m and by noon to residences and rural areas.
Packages are delivered the second business day by 4:30 p.m to most areas, and by 8.00 p.m to residences.
Delivery takes place the third business day by 4:30 p.m to most areas and by 8:00 p.m to residences.
This is the best and the cheapest way to ship FedEx when mailing heavy and large packages up to 150 lbs. Packages are delivered within 1-5 business days (3-7 business days to and from Alaska and Hawaii) by the end of the business day.
- FedEx SmartPost
This is the best and cheapest FedEx rate for low-weight packages up to 70 lbs to residences. Delivery takes place within 2-7 business days based on the shipping distance.
If you don't want to waste time weighing packages to calculate your shipping costs, you can find the cheapest FedEx rate via this service using one of the 12 flat rate boxes that FedEx provides. You can choose to have your packages delivered between 1, 2, or 3 business days.
The table below shows estimated shipping rates and transit time for the different FedEx domestic services when mailing a 5lb package from Brookly, NY to Miami, Florida.
|FedEx Service||Estimated Transit Times||Estimated Shipping Rate|
|FedEx Ground||5 Business days||$16.73|
|FedEx Express Saver||3 Business days||$37.45|
|FedEx 2Day||2 Business days||$54.07|
|FedEx 2Day A.M||2 Business days||$61.98|
|FedEx Standard Overnight||2 Business days||$98.48|
|FedEx Priority Overnight||1 Business days||$103.18|
|FedEx First Overnight||1 Business days||$135.88|
From our comparison table above, FedEx Ground turns out to be the cheapest FedEx shipping option when sending a 5lb package from Brooklyn to Miami at $16.73 within 5 days, followed by FedEx Express Saver at $37.45 within 3 days. For faster deliveries, you may want to use expedited shipping options such as second-day or next-day services to have your packages delivered in 1 or 2 business days. But as you can see, you have to pay to play!
Make sure to use the Easyship's shipping rates calculator to compute shipping rates accordingly based on your package weight.
FedEx Cheapest International Shipping
What about finding FedEx's cheapest international shipping services? Just like domestic shipping, FedEx offers several international shipping services. Finding the cheapest way to ship FedEx International will depend on the package weight, delivery speed, and shipping distance.
To make it easier for you, here we discuss the different FedEx international services, and how you can find FedEx's cheapest international rate.
- FedEx International First: Packages are delivered within 1-3 business days to select postal codes in more than 20 key global markets.
- FedEx International Priority: Packages are delivered in 1-3 business days to more than 220 countries and territories.
- FedEx One Rate International: This service is available via the FedEx 10kg Box and FedEx 25kg Box. It is an easy and economical way to ship internationally when you ship up to 22 lbs in the FedEx 10kg Box and up to 56lbs in the FedEx 25kg Box. Packages are delivered via FedEx International Priority within 1-3 business days.
- FedEx International Economy: This is one of the cheapest ways to ship FedEx international. Packages are delivered in 2-5 business days to more than 215 countries and territories.
- FedEx International Ground: This is the Cheapest way to ship FedEx international. Packages are delivered within 2-7 business days.
- FedEx International MailService: This is the best, as well as one the cheapest FedEx rate when mailing low-value, low-weight items such as books, catalogs, CDs, brochures, and apparel. Premium delivery takes place in 4-7 days, while Standard shipping is within 7-11 days.
The table below shows estimated shipping rates and transit time for the different FedEx international services when mailing a 5lb package from the US to Hong kong.
|Service||Transit Time||Estimated Cost|
|FedEx International Priority||2 Business days||$211.92|
|FedEx International Economy||4 Business days||$188.18|
Is FedEx Cheaper than USPS and UPS?
Usually, USPS provides cheaper shipping options than both FedEx and UPS for lightweight packages up to 70 lbs. For large and heavyweight packages, you may need to consider shipping with either FedEx or UPS because they provide excellent shipping options up to 150 lbs. Shipping rates depend on the service you choose. Read our complete guide on USPS vs UPs vs FedEx to see who has better rates.
Here is a price comparison among the three couriers for flat rate shipping
|Extra Large Box||$25.00||$30.85||N/A|
When shipping high value items internationally, you need to make sure that your packages are covered with the right insurance policy. Most of the time, the coverage provided by the courier is rarely enough. To avoid unforeseen losses, you many need to consider purchasing an additional policy. Easyship can help you cover your items up to $5,000.
Streamline Your FedEx Shipping With Easyship
Using the right tools and a bit of research, you can easily find the cheapest FedEx rate for both domestic and international packages. Package weight & size, delivery speed, type of packaging( flat rate/custom), and shipping distances are the top variables that will influence the cost of mailing packages to different destinations.
To help you find the most affordable shipping solutions with FedEx, Easyship gives you all the tools you need. We can help you up to your domestic and international shipping game with FedEx in the following ways:
- Service comparison: Use our courier comparison tool to compare different FedEx services side by side and choose the one that suits your business needs.
- Compare shipping rates: Using our shipping rates calculator, you can compare the different FedEx services' shipping rates and transit times.
- Save money: Through our platform, you can access discounted shipping rates up to 70% and save money on shipping costs.
- Save Time: Integrate your FedEx account to your Easyship account to automate most of the shipping process and manage your shipments easily.
Sign up for a free Easyship account to get started!
Shipping with FedEx FAQ
Is FedEx cheaper online or in-store?
FedEx offers the same rates online or in-store.
What is a good FedEx discount?
Easyship saves users up to 89% off discounted shipping rates, including FedEx.