- Shipping companies deal with the transport of a parcel to its destination
- UPS® offers flexible, reliable delivery options for shipping domestically and internationally
- Freight shipping companies are typically used when packages weigh over 150 pounds and exceed 165 inches in girth and length
USPS, DHL, UPS, and FedEx are popular shipping companies that eCommerce merchants use to ship their products to their global customers. But, how do these shipping companies work and function?
This blog post will cover how shipping companies work and the best shipping companies to use for shipping.
Table of Contents
How Do Shipping Companies Work?
Shipping companies deal with the transport of a parcel to its destination. Generally speaking, shipping companies carry out the following processes:
- Receiving the order
- Processing the order
- Fulfilling the order
Choosing from the list of shipping companies depends on your customer’s expectations and how much you’re willing to pay for shipping. For instance, if you’re shipping internationally and are on a budget, you’ll want to opt for economical shipping options.
Top 3 International Shipping Companies
Have you ever wondered: What are the best international shipping companies near me? While there are many shipping companies to choose from, only some meet your needs and expectations as an eCommerce merchant.
We’ll look at the top courier companies to ship if you’re based in the United States.
UPS® offers flexible, reliable delivery options for shipping domestically and internationally. All Easyship merchants get instant access to shipping rates that are discounted off the standard rates for UPS services:
- Up to 50% off on UPS® Ground shipments
- Up to 66% for UPS 2nd Day Air® service
- Up to 65% for UPS Next Day Air® service
- Up to 76% off International services
Users who ship with UPS also benefit from features like avoiding additional surcharges, updated tracking and delivery alerts, automated label generation, and more.
FedEx is a global express courier that offers various courier services depending on your shipping expectations. You can manage all your FedEx shipping activity with Easyship while retaining all the features and benefits of FedEx that you love.
Unlock pre-negotiated discounted rates for the following courier services with FedEx:
- FedEx International Priority
- FedEx International First
- FedEx Ground
- FedEx Express Savers
Easyship is one of the few eCommerce shipping providers that have been certified as FedEx Compatible, meaning that you’ll gain access to Easyship-exclusive features such as premium insurance, automated shipping rules, and easy access to calculating duties and taxes.
DHL is one of the most trusted international shipping companies worldwide. Users can save up to 91% off discounted DHL shipping rates for international shipping.
Manage your DHL Express shipping with Easyship’s Shipping Dashboard so you can stay up-to-date with your parcels. Some of the critical discounts with DHL through Easyship include the following:
- Save up to 91% off DHL eCommerce
- Save up to 55% on DHL Express Worldwide
- Save up to 33% on DHL eCommerce Packet Plus
- Save up to 22% on DHL Documents
Compare DHL rates using our shipping calculator to compare 250+ courier services for domestic and international shipping.
Related post: The Best Shipping and Mailing Services in the US
Top 3 Freight Shipping Companies
Freight shipping is the transportation of goods and cargo in bulk by ship, aircraft, truck, or train. Freight shipping companies typically use packages weighing over 150 pounds and exceeding 165 inches in girth and length.
FedEx and UPS set weight and dimensional limitations, so freight is an excellent method to use if your parcel is over the limit. First, we’ll go over the top three freight shipping companies so you know what shipping company operates within the United States.
FedEx freight is reserved for any shipment above 150 pounds. Merchants can ship anything via cargo with a few exceptions on hazardous items and perishables.
Some benefits of FedEx freight include the following:
- Complete visibility for large multiple-pallet shipments
- Fast and reliable shipping and handling
- A nationwide network of carriers
Overall, the type of freight shipping method you choose depends on how quickly you need your freight shipment to arrive at its destination.
YRC freight has a vast network within North America and is a popular LTL carrier that can transport industrial, commercial, and retail goods.
- Guaranteed delivery windows
- Expedited and standard freight shipping services
- Seamless transportation throughout North America and US territories
YRC Freight has dealt with 17.5 million shipments to date and over $5 billion in revenue, making it not only a profitable business but a reliable freight carrier customers can trust.
Like FedEx, UPS Freight is reserved for any shipment over 150 pounds and exceeds 165 inches in length and girth combined.
UPS is known for its freight carrier services' reliability and security regarding shipping. Whether shipping within the United States or overseas, UPS offers plenty of freight carrier services for merchants of all needs.
Some benefits of using UPS freight include the following:
- On-time guaranteed delivery
- Tracking services
- Expedited and standard freight services
Overall, merchants can rely on UPS for freight shipping, especially if they’re already customers for regular parcel shipping.
Top 3 Container Shipping Companies
Container shipping is one of the most popular shipping methods when it comes to sea routes. Consider the following container shipping companies when sending goods overseas.
Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)
Mediterranean Shipping Company is the most popular container shipping company for overseas shipping. MSC operates in all major ports of the world, so for merchants with global customers in all parts of the world, MSC is one of the shipping companies you can trust.
Some key benefits of using the most popular container shipping companies are:
- Cargo insurance
- Tracking services
- Customer support
As the world's most popular and largest container shipping company, MSC is an excellent option for merchants with overseas customers.
Maersk is a Danish international shipping company that offers container shipping services to 374 ports in 116 countries. Maersk is also one of the largest container shipping companies by fleet size and cargo capacity.
Some of the critical benefits Maersk offers include the following:
- Reliable international transit times
- Reduced shipping costs through volume bundling
- Complete visibility through tracking services
- Great customer service
Maersk also offers air freight and LCL courier services for merchants with different shipping needs.
CMA CGM is the leading French container shipping company and is the world’s 3rd largest shipping company.
CMA CGM uses 257 shipping routes between 420 ports in 160 countries. Not only is CMA CGM committed to fighting against climate change and pledging towards better sustainable shipping practices, but CMA CGM also includes benefits such as the following:
- Reliable tracking
- Customer support
- Visibility for cargo shipments
If you’re a merchant who tries to be more sustainable in your business practices, CMA CGM may be an excellent cargo shipping company to consider using.
The Best Shipping Companies for Your Business with Easyship
By now, you should be well-equipped with knowing how shipping companies work and the best shipping companies to choose from when shipping domestically and internationally.
UPS, DHL, and FedEx are popular contenders when choosing a suitable courier, but what if there was a way to access high-volume discounts? With Easyship, you gain instant access to features and benefits that can streamline your shipping process, such as the following:
- Free Shipping Rates Calculator: Access high-volume discounts from major couriers. Plus, get instant access to delivery lead times from premium shipping couriers
- Global Fulfillment: Easyship has warehouse partners on four continents to reach customers worldwide. Plus, Easyship helps scale up fulfillment capabilities without increasing overhead costs
- Shipping Policy Generator: Our shipping policy generator helps merchants and crowdfunding campaigns generate their shipping policy by providing tracking and insurance options, plus other vital information for your shipping process
Ready to ship? Sign up for a FREE Easyship account and get instant access to high-volume discounts of up to 91% off for hundreds of shipping companies
If you found this article informative, you may enjoy the following: