Shoes are some of the biggest sellers in eCommerce, making them also one of the most commonly shipped products. Despite being a commonly mailed item, shipping shoes comes with some unique challenges. But, if you’re a retailer dealing in footwear, finding the cheapest way to ship shoes will help you save a lot.
Finding the cheapest way to ship shoes requires a detailed understanding of the whole process and the unique challenges of mailing footwear. Of course, the cost to ship shoes depends on several factors, so it’s hard to generalize and get generic estimates.
To find the best price, you should compare the prices offered by several shipping service providers and what restrictions they may have in place. You should also partner with a reliable shipping solutions provider, such as Easyship, who can connect you to discounted courier rates to save you up to 70% instantly.
This article will not only show you how to access the cheapest ways to ship shoes, but also how to package them to cut costs, and what else you might need to consider to ship footwear.
A Quick Guide to Easy Shoe-Shipping
Before asking “How much does it cost to ship shoes,” you should first understand how best to pack footwear for shipping. Packing your shoes well not only ensures they’ll reach your customers in good condition, but it’ll also help you save on costs. Fortunately, shoes are often small and lightweight, so they’re among the easiest products to pack. They’re also pretty sturdy, so they’re less likely to get damaged in transit.
What Packing Materials Will I Need?
You will need the following packaging materials when shipping shoes:
- Packing tape
- Shipping boxes
- Bubble wrap
Box Options for Shipping Shoes
Before packing the shoes in shoe shipping boxes, it’s important to find the right one. That’s because different shoes might need to be packaged differently. Below are some excellent shoe shipping boxes you can use:
- Use cardboard boxes if you’re shipping several shoes in one order.
- Corrugated boxes are best for shipping shoes over long distances.
- Flat cardboard mailers and bubble mailers are best for delicate shoes that have buttons or trinkets attached.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Packing Shoes
Now that you know what packing materials you’ll need and what shoe shipping boxes you can use, here’s exactly how to pack your shoes for shipping.
1. Wrap the shoes in paper to protect them during transit; place several pairs in the box if necessary.
2. The shoe shipping box should be as small as possible to comfortably fit the order (and save costs). If there is any extra space, you can fill it with some cushioning materials.
3. If you want to include some mailers for your customers - such as discount coupons, thank you notes, or receipts - slip this inside the box, too.
4. Secure the box with packing tape. Seal all parts of the box to keep the shoes safe.
4. Address the shoe shipping boxes with the correct mailing address; if you’re shipping internationally, you’ll also need to include the correct customs information and harmonized codes.
5. Use a service like Easyship to get shipping rate estimates and pick the most appropriate one.
6. Schedule a courier pick-up (or drop off the parcel at the post office or courier store).
How Much Does it Cost to Ship Shoes?
With the plethora of shipping couriers available, estimating the actual cost to ship shoes can be difficult because there’s simply too much choice. So, how much does it cost to ship shoes? Well, that really depends on several factors. Below are some things that will affect the overall cost:
- Weight: Many couriers base shipping rates on the weight of a package, so you can expect to pay more for heavier shoe packages.
- Shipping distance: The further your shipment has to travel, the more you can expect to pay. This applies whether you’re shipping domestically or internationally.
- Shipping service: Most couriers offer several types of shipping services at various price points and different types of tracking and insurance levels. You should expect to pay more for express services that offer full tracking, and less for slower services that don’t offer as much tracking oversight.
- Taxes and duties: If you’re shipping internationally, your shipment will likely be subject to import taxes and duties imposed by the authorities in the destination country. This can significantly add to the cost of to ship shoes, so you should give your customers oversight of this.
Do I Need Insurance?
Like any other package, you may want to think about insuring your shoe shipment. This provides a guarantee that your costs will be compensated in case of accidental damages or loss of shipment during transit.
Most couriers will offer some type of insurance coverage, but you’ll probably find this quite limited. Instead, you could try getting insurance through a third-party provider, such as Easyship, who can offer flexible insurance arrangements and up to $5,000 of coverage.
Easyship can also help you get a better overview of the cost of shoe shipping. You can use the online calculator to get estimated shipping rates for your parcel from different couriers so that you can compare prices and services. You can also use the Taxes and Duties Calculator to see how much you might have to pay for international shipments.
Related: The Cheapest Way to Ship Clothes
These are the Cheapest Ways to Ship Shoes
Before deciding how to ship shoes, you’ll want to do a price and service comparison with different couriers. USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL all offer some of the best ways to ship shoes. While shipping shoes isn’t generally too expensive, comparing the services of different couriers will help you find fast-shipping shoe couriers at affordable rates.
Before looking at the prices charged for shipping shoes by these couriers, it’s worth noting that most people prefer the USPS First Class option for lightweight packages. You can also opt for the UPS Ground service that takes between one and five days to deliver, depending on your destination.
The table below outlines the estimated costs to ship shoes using various couriers.
Price estimates for domestic shoe shipments from Los Angeles to Miami for a 10in x 5in x 5in package weighing 5lbs
|Courier Service||Price||Delivery Time|
|USPS Priority Mail Express 2-Day||$71.35||2 days|
|USPS Priority Mail 2-Day||$26.70||4 days|
|USPS Retail Ground||$23.90||8 days|
|FedEx 2Day||$58.30||2 days|
|FedEx Ground||$19.06||2 days|
|UPS 2 Day Air||$54.08||2 days|
|UPS Ground||$20.07||4 days|
|Easyship USPS Priority Mail||$9.56||2 days|
|Easyship USPS Parcel Select||$20.66||7 days|
|Easyship USPS Priority Mail Express||$60.35||2 days|
Price estimates for international shoe shipments from Los Angeles to Hong Kong for 10in x 5in x 5in package weighing 5lbs.
|Courier Service||Price||Delivery Time|
|USPS Priority Mail Express International||$88.55||3-5 days|
|USPS Priority Mail International||$71.25||6-10 days|
|FedEx International Priority||$195.40||4 days|
|FedEx International Economy||$173||5 days|
|UPS Worldwide Express||$173.89||4 days|
|UPS Worldwide Saver||$171.19||4 days|
|Easyship SF Express Economy Express||$17.77||6-7 days|
|Easyship DHL Express WorldWide||$48.35||1-2 days|
|Easyship USPS Priority Mail Express International||$79.17||3-5 days|
|Easyship USPS Priority Mail International||$67.69||6-10 days|
Grow Your Online Shoe Business with Cheap Shipping
As eCommerce continues to grow in popularity, shipping shoes is becoming increasingly important for online retailers dealing in fashion. That’s why it’s important to know how to find the cheapest way to ship shoes and understand the best practices about delivery shoe orders safely to customers.
If you’re looking for the best way to ship shoes, sign up for an Easyship account. With this, you can access warehouses around the world to access cheaper shipping to customers around the world, and streamline the whole shipping process by managing everything from one account.