When you're running an eCommerce store, it's worth making the effort to know what your customers think about your products or business through online reviews. However, getting reviews can seem a lot easier said than done.
According to a survey by BrightLocal, approximately 85% of consumers believe reviews found online in the same way they would take a recommendation from someone they know. This is why consumers have more trust in a business with multiple, positive reviews than those that do not have any.
The importance of online reviews in eCommerce
For your potential customers, reviews help build trust in your product and business, further convincing them to buy from you. Also consider the following:
- There are more opportunities online: Research has shown that in the 21st century, approximately 90% consumers take their time to check out a business online before deciding whether to buy from them or not. Customer feedback about your business or product can definitely make or break your sales.
- It increases sales: Having positive online business reviews definitely helps improve conversions at checkout and increase sales. Surveys have shown that over 30% of consumers are likely to make purchases from a store or seller with positive reviews.
- It builds trust: In the world of online business, trust is something you don’t want to toy with. According to BrightLocal, approximately 73% of consumers have more trust in stores with positive reviews of their products than stores with no reviews or social proof.
- Better understanding of your customers: Each time a customer leaves a review, it gives you a clearer picture of what their expectations are. Based on this, you will be able to know which areas to improve on as far as your products and services are concerned. Feedback is king!
- Improved SEO: According to SEO experts, having multiple positive reviews and brand mentions online increase your store's visibility on search engine visibility.
How to ask your customers for reviews
So, we get it - online reviews are helpful for your business. But how can you convince your customers to take the extra step to review you online?
Here are a few suggestions on how to ask your customers for business and/or product reviews:
- Start from your website: This is especially for those whose online stores have built-in review functions. Make sure that this feature is activated on your website, and if your platform doesn't offer it, you can consider using third party apps that enable your customers to leave reviews after their purchases are made.
- Automated email campaigns: A lot of eCommerce store owners have used this strategy to significantly grow their businesses. All it takes is for you to set up an automated email flow to customers who have completed a purchase with you, asking them to leave reviews on the products in addition to their shopping experience.
- Use thank you pages: This is a feature that makes a whole lot of difference on your business website. This page is activated to pop up after a purchase is made. It comes with subtle messages that motivate your customers to leave reviews. For example, the message could be “Thank you for your purchase. Could you please let us know what you think about our products?”
- Share existing positive reviews: In order to further convince potential customers to purchase from your store, always share and highlight existing positive reviews on both your website and your social media accounts. These features could potentially encourage customers to leave reviews after purchasing.
Whether you're selling on a marketplace or maintain your own eCommerce store on a major platform, you have a lot to gain from asking your customers for product reviews, either directly on your website or through social media.
The more reviews you receive, the more exposure you achieve in addition to customer insights that can be helpful for you to improve.
Always strive to meet your customers’ expectations and see how willing they would be to lend their voices to your brand!
What other ways can eCommerce sellers encourage customers to leave reviews? Let us know in the comments below!
Previous Post:The best Magento 2 extensions for eCommerce