- Most merchants pay US$11.30 on service for every US$100 in sales for Google shopping
- The more you connect with customers with these Google ads, the higher your chances are of driving relevant traffic to your online store - and the better your ability to convert and drive sales
- Easyship can help you ship your orders across the world with smart, affordable shipping solutions
Whether you own a large or small eCommerce store, you can sell on Google Shopping to improve the potential earnings of your online store. While it’s not a new platform, many brands are now using it to maximize their sales. According to this report, Sears reportedly boosted its store visits by approximately 122% and increased its clickthrough rates by 16%. In addition, the report also states that for each dollar Sears spends on the platform, it made US$8! Little wonder, then, that most brands around the world are now using the service to help their business.
Table of Contents
What is Google Shopping?
Before you decide to jump on the bandwagon, it’s important that you understand what this service is. At its most basic, it’s a type of pay-per-click online advertising channel. eCommerce store owners can bid a certain amount of money to have their advertisements displayed at the top of Google Search results - the advert with the highest bid in each respective search will be shown.
Up until this point, you won’t incur any costs for advertising with Google. However, the moment a potential customer clicks on your advert link and goes to your website, Google will charge you the amount of your bid. Think of this as a referral commission - you’re paying a small amount of money to have Google recommend your product to their users. Of course, this doesn’t guarantee that the visitor will purchase something - but by putting your online store in front of more potential clients and driving more traffic to your website, you’ll have a higher chance for more conversions and sales.
How Much Does It Cost to Sell On Google Shopping?
This is a tricky question to answer since there is no fixed price to use this Google platform. A 2019 study by Moz showed that most merchants pay US$11.30 on service for every US$100 in sales - so about 10% of their sales cost. In order to improve the cost per sale, you should make sure you have a compelling landing page for customers to go to when they click through from the Google ad. This way, you’ll make a good first impression, and customers are more likely to make a purchase quickly, rather than spend a long time pondering their decision - and driving up the cost of your pay-per-click advertising.
Google Shopping for Business: How You Can Benefit?
There are lots of benefits that come with using this service for your business. These include:
- Increased ROI: The platform can go a long way in improving your overall clickthrough rate (CTR) and decreasing your cost-per-click (CPC). Doing this will significantly improve your return on investment (ROI).
- Improved Relevant Traffic: Before people decide to click on your Google ad, they will already have all the necessary information about your product, including what it looks like, what it’s used for, and how much it costs. So, if they decide to click your link, there’s a much higher chance that they will follow through and buy from your site.
- Wider Reach: When you use the service, you can reach a wider audience of potential buyers. And, if you have multiple products on display, the service makes it possible for you to create more awareness around these products.
- Stay Ahead of the Competition: As long as you create ads with compelling images and accurate information, there’s an increased chance that it will attract a relevant audience that already has a strong inclination to buy from you.
- Easier to Manage: Another key benefit of learning how to sell on this Google platform is that it’s pretty easy to manage. You simply have to upload all the relevant product data, and the platform will do the rest.
10 Tips to Sell on Google Shopping
Reaping the benefits of selling on Google Shopping depends on your ability to find and stick to strategies that work. Below, we’ve listed a few tips for effective ads:
- Choose the right product category for your ad
- Provide accurate, detailed product information and price
- Ensure your website is mobile-friendly
- Create higher-ranking ads for your individual products
- Maintain your product feeds properly
- Choose appropriate keywords and use them in your product description
- Try to use about 70 words for your description
- Use professional, clear pictures for your adverts
- Run smart promotions to make your products and ads stand out
- Make use of geographic bid modifiers
5 Brands That Are Killing It with Google Shopping
- ForPlay Catalogue: This lingerie and costume retailer saw a 280% increase in orders and a 270% increase in sales by implementing a unique ISO campaign.
- Ecco Shoes: This shoe store was already running search ads, but they used this service to increase new visitors to their site by 24%, lower their customer acquisition cost by 14%, and increase conversions by 28%.
- Paper Culture: Stationery is a competitive industry, but this online retailer managed to decrease their cost-per-lead by 50% with this platform - they also got 3x ROI compared to other online channels!
- TravelSmith Outfitters: This brand was able to put their travel clothes and accessories in front of more people to increase traffic (10%), orders (35%), sales (26%), all while decreasing their customer acquisition costs.
- Vineyard Vines: Clothing retailers are a dime a dozen on the internet, but this brand grouped ads by product type to increase their revenue (4-5%), and grow conversions (84% higher than the search; 112% higher than display).
Google Shopping for Savvy Online Retailers
The ability to sell on the platform is useful for online retailers who want to connect with potential customers on a larger scale by putting their brands and products in front of the right audience. The more you connect with customers with these Google ads, the higher your chances are of driving relevant traffic to your online store - and the better your ability to convert and drive sales. Of course, once you’ve got all these increased sales, Easyship can help you ship your orders across the world with smart, affordable shipping solutions.
Sign up for a free account now to see our full suite of products and services!