If you're looking to host your eCommerce store on Magento, you might be tempted to use their out-of-the-box shipping solution, Magento Shipping.
Magento Shipping allows you to connect to multiple couriers and access affordable rates.
However, there are some things that you need to consider before deciding to choose this option for your logistics operations.
The drawbacks of Magento Shipping
- The setup process can be tedious. This is especially true if you want calculated shipping rates, which are accurate rates based on weight, dimensions, and the parcel's destination. To do this you'll have to create a table and manually enter in this information.
- Setting up tax rates for international shipments is also a manual process. This is a multiple step process that requires you to look up the tax rate for each country you want to ship to.
- Flat rates and free shipping are easy to set up, but it's not the best strategy. Flat rates at checkout only provide ambiguity for the buyer, making them prone to abandon their cart. Free shipping is a good promotional option for a certain period, but it isn't a long-term or permanent solution.
- There's a limited number of couriers you can use. Currently, Magento Shipping only offers integrations for four couriers – DHL, FedEx, UPS, and USPS. These couriers can be expensive solutions for international shipping, depending on your target destinations. Additionally, to show these rates at checkout, you will have to open an account with the courier.
An easier way to set up shipping for your Magento store
Thankfully, you can head over to the Shipping & Fulfillment section of the Magento Marketplace, where you can find apps for international shipping software that can help you get your ship together - and quick!
When you connect your store to Easyship, you will be able to:
- Sync all your orders in one click. No need to manually input customer data.
- Show calculated rates at checkout. Forget manual data entry for your shipping rates! Instead, trust our algorithms to automatically calculate the fastest, cheapest, and best value for money options, based on your customer's location.
- Include duty and tax amounts at checkout. Our algorithms come to the rescue once more, allowing you to show estimated duty and tax for every country in the world.
- Access to 100+ shipping solutions. Choose from multiple postal, regional, and express couriers with one account - no need to set up an account with each individual courier and negotiate rates.
Additionally, if you want to customize your shipping to fit your exact requirements, you can do so with our open API. This powerful API lets you set up perfect, end-to-end customized shipping solutions that can be interactive with your warehouse management software and functionality.
Previous Post:The best Shopify apps for new eCommerce stores