- More than 54% of consumers take sustainable packaging into consideration when buying a product
- 67% of consumers consider it essential for brands to use sustainable packaging
- Using recyclable and bio-based packaging makes shipments light, which in return reduces the space wasted in cargo areas
It’s important to be interested in the impact pollution and non-reusable packaging materials have on the environment. In fact, more than 54% of consumers take sustainable packaging into consideration when buying a product.
As the world evolves, sustainable packaging has proven to be more effective, especially in the packaging industry. With that in mind, eCommerce brands should make conscious efforts to switch to eco-friendly packaging to curb the earth's pollution.
This blog post will go over everything you need to know about sustainable packaging. Plus, we'll go over how Easyship can help your eCommerce business become more eco-friendly.
Table of Contents
What is Sustainable Packaging?
Sustainable packaging is any packaging that provides a reduced environmental impact over using less sustainable options. Sustainable packaging is also earth-friendly and doesn't require the further depletion of natural resources as other types do. Often, sustainable packaging uses recyclable plastics and compostable packaging to help reduce the global carbon footprint.
For packaging to be considered sustainable, the Sustainable Packaging Coalition (SPC) maintains that:
- It is beneficial, safe & healthy for individuals and communities throughout its lifecycle
- Meets market criteria for performance and cost
- Is sourced, manufactured, transported, and recycled using renewable energy
- Optimizes the use of renewable or recycled source materials
- Is manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices
- Is made from materials healthy throughout the life cycle
- Is physically designed to optimize materials and energy
Advantages of Sustainable Packaging
Sustainable packaging has a lot of benefits that most brands today should consider. Let us examine them here, so you can make an informed decision about biodegradable products.
- Expands customer base and increases brand loyalty: Consumers are inclined to purchase eco-friendly products. In fact, 67% of consumers consider it important for brands to use sustainable packaging. Therefore, brands should adopt the use of sustainable packaging materials. This is because people are more aware of its benefits and gravitate towards brands that take the environment into consideration.
- Lowers shipping cost: Using recyclable and bio-based packaging weighs less than other packaging materials. That's why sustainable packaging reduces the space wasted in cargo areas. By reducing waste and space, sustainable packaging allows companies to spend less on shipping, consequently reducing cost, and that's a win.
- Compact packaging: Space reduction and efficiency are features of sustainable packaging. In addition, sustainable packaging is often lightweight, unlike plastic packaging options. This avails brands the opportunity to store their products compactly. In return, they reduce the amount of space used and create space for more products.
Sustainable Packaging Strategies
Implementing sustainable shipping packaging for your eCommerce store is an excellent way to increase brand loyalty. So, how can merchants across the globe implement these strategies? This section will go over how you can utilize green packaging for your business.
Ship in smaller packages
Being eco-friendly also entails considering the number of packaging materials you use. Evaluate the packaging materials you consume when you ship as well as the space used. After this, come up with the best strategies to reduce space and materials. You can decide to use smaller packaging materials or see if this technique will suffice.
Recycled packaging products
There are recyclable packaging options you should consider as an eco-friendly brand. Give preference to packaging made out of recycled materials. Paper and corrugated packaging materials are highly recyclable and biodegradable. Bio-plastics are also becoming popular and available due to their eco-friendly approach.
If you are a food brand, this should perfectly resonate with you. Merchants can consider using edible packaging for their food products, especially since it reduces food waste. Edible packaging is usually thin layers of materials that can be consumed.
There are two types of edible packaging - film, and coating. Films are made separately before being applied to the food product. Coatings on the other hand are made together and directly in the food product.
Naturally biodegradable packaging
Another ideal strategy is plantable packaging. These are packages are made with raw materials, and instead of being thrown away, consumers can plant them. In addition, cosmetic boxes and other lightweight items can be packaged with seed-paper packaging. Again, this is a very eco-friendly choice you can adopt.
Compostable and biodegradable plastic alternatives
Regular plastics are made out of chemicals that are harmful to the planet. Instead, compostable materials are readily available. This eco-friendly alternative is made out of biodegradable and compostable materials.
Avoid excessive packaging throughout the supply chain
Excessive packaging should be avoided while being eco-friendly. To achieve this, incorporate using compact shipment as well as sustainable materials.
Related post: Green Shipping Solutions: Everything You Need to Know
Sustainable Packaging Examples
Many eCommerce businesses use sustainable packaging to promote customer loyalty. Some brands that use recycled and recyclable materials include Amazon, Patagonia, and BOXED water.
- Amazon: Amazon uses lightweight plastic-free packaging for its consumers. For instance, Amazon uses a new mailer that has been used over 100 million times across the globe
- Patagonia Outdoor Clothing: Clothing is made from 68% recycled material. Plus, the company gives detailed information on how customers should recycle their clothing when they no longer use them
- BOXED Water: BOXED water stands out by bottling water in cardboard boxes. This out-of-the-box packaging is a hundred percent recyclable and eco-friendly
How Easyship Helps with Sustainable Packaging eCommerce
In becoming environmentally conscious, sustainable packaging is very important and brands should gear towards embracing it. Sustainable packaging is both recyclable and safe for humans and the planet. Plus, sustainable packaging reduces ecological and carbon footprint and the impact it has on the environment.
At Easyship we offer you the best options as you consider switching to sustainable packaging solutions. Plus, we offer up to 70% off discounted shipping rates on 250+ couriers.
Here's how Easyship can help you scale your eco-friendly business globally:
- Connect you to our network of trusted green fulfillment centers
- A team of shipping experts to answer your questions 24/7 about green shipping methods
- A suite full of shipping tools like our Free Shipping Rates Calculator, which instantly calculates the best available shipping rates
Ready to ship? Easyship offers a network of global, green fulfillment centers that can power your eco-friendly eCommerce business. Sign up today!
If you found this article informative, you may be interested in the following: