Nigeria is the top eCommerce market in Africa.
According to the 2018 United Nations UNCTAD Report, Nigeria is Africa's largest eCommerce market for both total shoppers per capita and revenue generated. If you’re looking to expand your eCommerce business, Nigeria could be your ideal market.
Successful shipping to Nigeria starts with finding the cheapest shipping rates. However, the cheapest way to ship to Nigeria isn’t always obvious. Finding an affordable and reliable courier is key because fulfillment in Africa can be a bit spotty at times.
At Easyship, we aim to simplify shipping in and between all countries. This is why we offer direct access to the cheapest shipping rates to Nigeria, plus a free shipping rate calculator for Nigeria.
Read below to learn everything you need to know about the cheapest way to ship to Nigeria.
Table of Contents
The Basics of Shipping to Nigeria
A handful of variables impact the cheapest way to ship to Nigeria, including:
- Delivery timeline
- Package weight & dimensions
- Insurance & tracking options
- Import duties & taxes, if applicable
In the following sections, we’ll discuss each of these variables and show you the cheapest rates for shipping to Nigeria.
How Long Does Shipping to Nigeria Take?
The first variable in cheap shipping is transit time. The further Nigeria is from your location, the longer it will take, and this raises the cost of shipping.
Delivery time to Nigeria depends on two factors:
- Your choice of shipping company
- The shipping company’s available delivery options
Economy shipping to Nigeria can take up to 12 business days, depending on your courier choice. Expedited shipping is available in 1-2 business days, though.
Below we’ve used our Free Shipping Rate Calculator to show delivery times from the US to Nigeria for a 2lb. package.
The Easyship recommended rate is USPS First Class International at 10-12 business days for just under $25. Need it there faster? DHL eCommerce Packet Priority can get it there in 8-10 business days. The fastest option is DHL Express Worldwide at 1-2 days, but more than $80 it will cost you.
Cheap shipping always takes longer to arrive than expedited shipping. This is true regardless of your courier choice and package destination. If you’re willing to extend your delivery lead time, though, you can get the cheapest rates on shipping to Nigeria.
What Does it Cost to Ship to Nigeria?
Delivery time and distance aside, the cost of shipping to Nigeria is impacted by certain physical aspects of your package, including:
- Weight: Heavier packages cost more to ship. To lessen your shipping costs, remove any unnecessary packing materials.
- Dimensions: Packages of irregular size or shapes cost more to ship because they require special care in packing. If possible, use standard box sizes to help keep shipping costs low.
Again we’ve used our Free Shipping Rate Calculator to find the cheapest shipping to Nigeria. The rates below are for a 15 lb. package instead of a 2lb. package.
Changing the package weight from 2 lbs. to 15 lbs. increased the cheapest shipping rate by more than $50. It also changed the cheapest courier from USPS to APC.
This increase in shipping rates demonstrates an important truth about cross-border shipping: the cheapest courier option always fluctuates based on the variables of the specific shipment.
This is why it’s helpful to use a shipping rate calculator to find the cheapest option for your specific package. If you’re just guessing, you could be overpaying.
Cross Border Shipping Factors That Impact Cost
Unless you’re already in Nigeria, you’ll want to consider the added costs of international shipping. Whenever you ship to another country, your shipments are subject to extra fees and restrictions from the two factors below.
Customs Duties and Taxes in Nigeria
Every country including Nigeria assesses import duties and taxes on incoming shipments. Not every import is subject to fees, though. You can use our Free Tax and Duty Calculator for Nigeria to determine any customs duty you’ll owe.
This screenshot shows the duties and taxes owed on a $25 board game imported to Nigeria from the US.
You’ll also need to complete customs declaration forms to help customs officers to determine if you owe a duty fee. Easyship can help you automatically generate all customs forms to ensure your package gets through without a hitch.
Restricted Or Prohibited Items in Nigeria
The customs office of Nigeria has a list of items that are restricted or prohibited from entry. If your package contains these items it will be detained indefinitely.
Use our total shipping guide to Nigeria to determine which items are restricted in Nigeria, plus access helpful tips for shipping to Nigeria specifically.
The Cheapest Way to Ship to Nigeria: UPS Vs USPS vs FedEx vs DHL
The cheapest way to ship to Nigeria involves the courier with the best rates for your specific shipment.
All major US couriers ship to Nigeria. This means you can expect reliable, affordable shipping rates from the couriers you trust domestically. A smattering of regional and global couriers are available as well. (Remember how APC had the cheapest rates to Nigeria?)
Rates will reflect your delivery timeline, transit distance, physical aspects of the package, plus any import duties and taxes. If customers want insurance or package tracking, these features will also raise the price.
Using a shipping calculator is hands-down the easiest way to find your cheapest rate based on all factors.
That said, you can also contact the major courier services directly via their websites:
- USPS Priority Mail International: Delivery to Nigeria within 8 days
- USPS Priority Mail Express International: Delivery within 4 days
- USPS First Class Package International Service: Delivery within 15 days
- UPS Worldwide Expedited: Delivery to Nigeria within 6 days
- UPS Worldwide Saver: Delivery within 8 days
- FedEx International Economy: Delivery to Nigeria within 8 days
- FedEx International Priority: Delivery within 4 days
- DHL Express Worldwide: Delivery to Nigeria within 4 days
Alternatively, you can use our courier comparison tool to compare courier rates and delivery times side by side. The table below shows estimated shipping rates and transit times for a 2lb. package sent from the US to Nigeria.
9 Tips For Cheap Shipping to Nigeria
For eCommerce merchants, successful shipping means more than getting cheap rates. You’ve got the needs of your customers to consider while you try to streamline the shipping process. Here are 9 tips to help you ship to Nigeria as cheaply, smoothly, and efficiently as possible:
- Notify about fragile items: Be sure to alert your courier of any fragile items ahead of transit. Doing so may impact your shipping cost, but paying extra is better than items arriving damaged on the customer’s doorstep.
- Offer shipping options: It’s best to offer customers a selection of accurate shipping options at checkout. This way, shoppers can choose whether to pay extra for faster delivery or insurance or prefer to save money.
- Weigh accurately: Enter an accurate package weight on your customs forms. If you don’t, packages may be detained at customs until you pay the difference.
- State your return policy: Make it easy for customers to read and enact your return policy if they’re unsatisfied with their delivery for any reason.
- Check on customs restrictions: To ensure packages arrive, read the customs requirements of each country you want to ship to before sending your first shipment.
- Compare rates: The cheapest way to ship to Nigeria isn’t always the most obvious. Investigate rates and shipping times between couriers to find the best rate for you and your customers.
- Consider insurance: It’s a big world and packages sometimes go missing. Easyship can help you cover your packages up to $5,000.
- Calculate duties and taxes: Check duties and taxes in Nigeria to determine the total costs of shipping for both you and your customers. This enables you to offer flexible, cost-effective shipping options that won’t scare away potential customers.
- Automate shipping: Using an all-in-one shipping platform like Easyship lets you access the cheapest rates to Nigeria in just a few clicks. More importantly, it automatically displays these accurate, real-time rates at checkout to drive more sales.
The Cheapest Way to Ship to Nigeria with Easyship
The cheapest way to ship to Nigeria isn’t always the most obvious. You’ll have to compare couriers. You’ll need to account for factors like package dimensions, import duties, and customer expectations for delivery times. It’s a lot, we know.
Easyship is here to help you identify the cheapest way to ship to Nigeria. Help yourself to our Free Tax and Duty Calculator, our Free Shipping Rate Calculator, and our Free Guide to Shipping to Nigeria. These resources will give you all the information you need to affordably ship to Nigeria on a repeat basis.
If you’re ready to ship with Easyship, create an account. You can trial the services first, then decide if a paid plan is right for you.