As you prepare for 2021, you’ll need to stay on top of the shipping rate increases for all the major couriers. The USPS shipping prices are set to increase on January 24, 2021. There will be moderate increases across the board but they shouldn’t force any major shifts in shipping strategy.
To help you understand the changes, we’ll break down how the 2021 increases compare to 2020, and show some of the price changes for the popular services like First Class Mail, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express and Flat Rate.
With Easyship you can take advantage of the best USPS rates and save money on your shipping. In addition, we offer over 250+ plus shipping solutions, making it easy for you to incorporate cross-border shipping for your business.
How Are the 2021 USPS Shipping Rates Different to the 2020 Prices?
The USPS shipping rates for 2021 did not affect First Class Mail or Flat Rate prices too extensively. However, the prices for Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express services have increased by 3.5% and 1.2% respectively, based on the zone and weight of the shipment.
- First Class mail rates will remain at $0.55 with each additional ounce costing $0.20 which is a 5 cent increase from 2020.
- USPS shipping rates for Priority Mail have increased by 3.5% with rates starting at $7.70, up from $7.50 in 2020.
- The Priority Mail commercial base rates will start at $7.16 up from $7.02 in 2020.
- The commercial Priority Mail Express rates have not changed and will continue to start at $22.75.
- Parcel Select Ground Commercial Base rates will start at $7.01 up from $6.92 in 2020
- Media Mail rates will start at $2.89 up from $2.80 in 2020.
- New fees: There will now be an overweight/oversize surcharge of $100 for packages that exceed the 70 lb. maximum weight limitation or the 130 inch length plus girth maximum dimensional size limit.
- Priority Mail Express International rates will start at $42.85 which does not change from 2020. Overall, there will be a 3.6% increase in 2021 depending on the price group.
- Priority Mail International Commercial Base rates will start at $44.60, up from $42.28 in 2020.
- Priority Mail International Commercial Base rates for Canada will start at $35.72 up from $34.53 in 2020.
- First Class Package International Service Commercial Base rates will start at $13.54 up from $11.64 in 2020.
- Country Groups Increase: For Priority Mail International and Priority Mail Express International the country groups will go up to 20 from 17 in 2020. First Class Package International Service will now have 20 country groups, up from 9 in 2020.
USPS Flat Rate Prices for 2021
USPS Flat Rate products are some of the most popular products for merchants because of their simplicity, free packaging and affordable rates.
Flat rate means a single rate is charged for shipping a package, regardless of its weight or size. This means there's no guessing when it comes to USPS shipping rates for this service. There are several sizes of flat rate boxes and envelopes available, and you need to pick the one which best fits your shipment.
You can get flat rate boxes and envelopes for free at USPS post office branches. Flat rate shipping is considered a Priority Mail service, so packages will be delivered within two to three business days.
For eCommerce businesses, the commercial base for USPS flat rate shipping costs is lower than retail rates; if you have a large volume of shipments, you can get the cheapest rates with commercial plus.
The 2021 price increases range from 25 cents to $1 for Commercial Rates. Here’s the breakdown and comparison to 2020.
|USPS Priority Mail||2021 Rate||2020 Rate|
|Flat Rate Envelopes||$7.40||$7.15|
|Legal Flat Rate Envelopes||$7.70||$7.45|
|Padded Flat Rate Envelopes||$8||$7.75|
|Small Flat Rate Box||$7.90||$7.65|
|Medium Flat Rate Box||$13.75||$13.20|
|Large Flat Rate Box||$19.30||$18.30|
|APO/FPO/DPO Large Flat Rate Box||$17.80||$16.80|
USPS Priority Mail Express 2021
USPS Priority Mail Express offers delivery within two business days. The service also includes free pick up, along with overnight and Sunday delivery. The overnight service has competitive pricing if you require fast delivery.
Plus, this full-featured service includes USPS tracking and up to $100 insurance for most shipments. Overall, Priority Mail Express rates have increased by 2.5% in 2021.
- Priority Mail Express comes with insurance of up to $100 with certain exceptions
- You can buy extra insurance for your shipment for up to $5000 in indemnity to cover for loss and damage
- To get maximum coverage and security for your shipment, you can send registered mail that can be insured for up to $ 50,000 at the post office. The price for this begins at $12.60
- Handling of fragile and special items costs $11.15 extra
USPS Shipping Rates Priority Mail 2021
USPS Priority Mail is a fast service that delivers within one to three days. This service includes free pickup, as well as insurance of up to $50 (with conditions). Pricing of shipments under this service are based on size and weight - you can use the Easyship rate calculator to get an estimated cost for your shipment.
Below are a few USPS shipping rates estimates for this service that you should be aware of.
- USPS shipping cost for Priority Mail domestic services start from $7.70
- The shipping cost for the commercial base and commercial plus starts from $7.16
- You can purchase up to $5000 insurance as indemnity coverage based on the declared value of the shipment starting from $2.25
- You can get a signature confirmation service from $3.20
- If you require an adult recipient’s signature on delivery, you can request this for an additional $6.90
- You can request delivery receipts via mail for $2.85
- For special handling of fragile packages, you’ll have to pay an extra $15.25
What About Shipping Rates for USPS First Class Mail?
USPS shipping rates have also changed for USPS First Class Mail. This is an affordable way to send envelopes and lightweight parcels within one to three business days.
The First Class Mail Forever stamps cost $0.55. This rate is valid for shipments up to 1oz and doesn’t expire, even if USPS postage rates increase. First Class Mail is the most affordable service for shipments up to 13oz. The USPS domestic shipment costs and international postage rates are dependent on the size, shape, and weight of the package.
- The First-Class Package International Service starts from $13.54; this increases according to destination. The maximum value won't exceed $400 and the rate is dependent on the destination
- You can purchase insurance for up to $5000 in indemnity but some items can’t be insured. The price is based on the value of the shipment and starts from $2.25
- You can send registered mail for extra security from an extra $12.60
USPS Shipping Rate Changes for Retail Ground
This is an affordable, reliable service that is ideal for shipments that are not urgent or oversized. This service takes around two to eight days for delivery. Packages that are deemed too large for Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express can be sent through USPS Retail Ground; this service can handle packages up to 70lbs and 130 inches in length and girth combined. Military mail is also handled through this service. The USPS shipping rates for this service are:
- Starts from $7.70
- The rates are different for different zones and weights
- You can get insurance for over $500 in shipment value.
- Add signature confirmation from $3.20
- Get delivery receipts by paying an extra $1.75 (email) or $2.85 (hard copy)
How Does Easyship Stack up?
Easyship offers competitive USPS shipping rates. We partner with major courier companies to get you the best possible deals. This includes finding the best USPS shipping rates for international or domestic shipments.
To give you an idea of how competitive Easyship’s USPS shipping rates are, we’re going to compare USPS retail rates against Easyship rates for domestic and international shipments.
USPS domestic shipping rates from Brooklyn, New York, to Beverly Hills, California, for a 5lb parcel measuring 10in x 5in x 2in
|Priority Mail 1-Day Flat-Rate Large Box||$21.90|
|Priority Mail 1-Day Flat Rate Medium Box||$15.50|
|Priority Mail 2-Day||$27.15|
|Priority Mail Express 1-Day||$72.65|
|USPS Via Easyship||Price|
|Priority Mail Express||$61.85|
USPS international shipping rates from Brooklyn, New York, to Hong Kong for a 5lb parcel measuring 10in x 5in x 2in
|Priority Mail International Flat Rate Large||$105.15|
|Priority Mail International Flat Rate Medium||$80.60|
|Priority Express International||$90.10|
|USPS Via Easyship||Price|
|Priority Mail International||$67.69|
|Priority Mail International Express||$84.06|
Get The Best Shipping Rates For USPS in 2021
It’s important to stay up to date on shipping rate increases, especially as you make your 2021 plans. These modest USPS increases shouldn’t have a dramatic impact on your strategy, but it’s always important to make adjustments to your shipping strategy if you start to see your bottom impacted. You can view a full breakdown of the rates on the USPS site.
With Easyship, you can save up to %70 on your USPS shipping rates, plus gain access to over 250+ shipping solutions. Through our platform you can optimize your workflow with shipping rules, print all your shipping labels, schedule and manage pickups, and create a seamless experience for your customers with branded tracking emails and landing pages.
Sign up for a free Easyship account today to start saving money on your shipping!
Previous Post:Crowdfunding 101: A Guide to Creating Successful Campaigns