eCommerce is growing rapidly in Hong Kong, and if you are looking to take your eCommerce business across borders, Hong Kong is just a perfect market to target.
Currently, Hong Kong has over 4.5 million e-shoppers and the eCommerce penetration is estimated to hit 72.6% from the current 59.8% by 2022. eCommerce sales are forecasted to rise at an annual rate of 10.2% to reach $5.4 billion by 2021.
But before you take the plunge, you need to adopt shipping strategies that will enable you to cater to your customers in Hong Kong so that you can delight your buyers with a great shipping experience. That way, you will gain a foothold in the market.
Part of this entails finding and offering different shipping solutions, including the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong. In this article, we'll help you figure out how to find cost-effective shipping services that deliver packages to hong kong. This will not only help you make informed decisions but also ensure that parcels are delivered on time and in pristine condition to your buyers.
We'll help you decipher how long and how much it costs to send parcels to Hong Kong, the courier services you can use, factors that come to play when searching for affordable shipping solutions to Hong Kong, as well as provide some tips on avoiding mistakes.
At Easyship, we got our start in the Hong Kong market and have helped many eCommerce merchants find the cheapest shipping, and can help you, too. Using our shipping rates calculator, and courier comparison tool, you can always find the cheapest way to ship from the USA to Hong Kong without hurting your bottom line or compromising the standard of service.
Shipping to Hong Kong
If you want to find the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong, you must understand all the different facets of shipping and how they affect shipping cost and speed. This will help you choose the most appropriate delivery option based on whether you're sending larger commercial shipments or small personal packages.
Here, we break down the most important information for you.
How Long Does Shipping to Hong Kong take?
The first thing that you need to nail down when evaluating an affordable way to ship a package to Hong Kong is the delivery speed. This determines how long it will take for your package to arrive at its destination and it has everything to do with the delivery option or courier services you chose.
A cheap shipping service comes with longer delivery times, while expedited options tend to be more expensive.
For example, you can have your package arrive within 1-4 days if you ship using expedited shipping services. But when you use economy delivery services, it may take 8-15 working days for your buyers to receive their packages.
For instance, let's say you send your package via SF Economy express, one of the cheapest ways to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong. Your package will be delivered within 5-8 working days.
But if you send it with DHL Express Worldwide, which is among the fastest options for shipping to Hong Kong, your customers will receive their items in 3-4 working days.
So, it boils down to the courier you use and the shipping service you choose. You can use the Easyship rates calculator to compare shipping rates and shipping times from different couriers.
How Much Does It Cost?
Several factors come to play when determining the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong. They include:
- Package weight: The heavier your package, the more you should expect to pay to have it delivered to its destination. For example, it will cost you less when shipping a smartphone than when sending a flatscreen television due to the weight difference between the two items.
- Package dimensions: The larger your package dimensions, the more you will pay to have it delivered, especially if the dimensional weight of your package is more than its actual weight. Also, you may have to pay extra fees for packages with irregular shapes and dimensions than those with normal shapes and dimensions.
- Delivery timeframe: While you may have no control over the weight and dimension of your package, it is always up to you, or your customers, to determine how quickly you want your packages to arrive. If you or your buyers are willing to wait for longer, then you can go for the cheapest way to ship a package to hong kong, or choose expedited shipping options for faster delivery.
3 Things to Consider When Shipping to Hong Kong
In your quest for the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong, there are some things you should consider to make sure that you comply with international trade requirements and avoid violating the country's laws and regulations.
- Customs: You will need to complete a customs declaration form detailing the contents of your package. Easyship helps you to sail through the customs declaration process easily with automatically generated customs forms
- Restricted or prohibited items: Like any other country, some products are prohibited or restricted in Hong Kong. You need to make sure that your package doesn't breach any of the country's protocols.
- Fragile Items: If you are sending fragile items to your customers in Hong kong, make sure that you attach a warning sign and let your courier know so that it can be handled with care. While this may mean paying extra handling charges, it is better than having it damaged, frustrate your buyers, and suffer the loss of having to replace it.
Do FedEx/UPS/USPS Ship to Hong Kong?
Yes! Most of the major couriers offer international shipping services from the USA to Hong kong. Whether you want to find the cheapest way to send a package to hong kong with the major couriers, or an expedited option for speedy shipping, you are sure to find a service that will fit your shipping needs within a budget.
Here are the top services offered by FedEx, UPS, and USPS shipping to hong kong.
- USPS Priority Mail International: This USPS Hong kong service takes 8 days upon booking of shipment
- USPS Priority Mail Express International: Packages are delivered within 4 days upon booking of shipment
- FedEx International Priority: With this FedEx Hong kong services, packages are delivered within 2 days upon the booking of the shipment
- FedEx International Economy: packages arrive within 4 days upon the booking of the shipment
- DHL Express Worldwide: Packages are delivered within 3-4 days upon the booking of the shipment
What's the Cheapest Way to Ship from the USA to Hong Kong?
If you are a US-based eCommerce merchant catering to your customers in Hong kong, you need to find the cheapest way of sending packages there and provide your buyers with the most affordable shipping options.
The easiest way to do this is to use a shipping rates calculator to compare and understand shipping rates and times from different shipping companies and third-party agents.
For example, let's say you want to send a package weighing 5 lbs and measuring 10in x 5in x 5in from Brooklyn, New York to Hong Kong. The table below shows a ballpark of estimated transit times and costs.
|Courier Service||Estimated Transit Time||Estimated Cost|
|SF Economy Express||5-8 business days||$31.57|
|APC ePMI||10-15 business days||$39.28|
|APC ePMEI||10-15 business days||$59.19|
|USPS Priority Mail International||10-14 business days||$71.25|
|USPS Priority Mail Express international||4-8 business days||$84.06|
|FedEx International Priority||2 business days||$198.66|
|FedEx International Economy||4 business days||$175.92|
|DHL Express Worldwide||2-4 business days||$59.32|
Important Issues to Consider When Shipping to Hong Kong
As you can see from the comparison table above, SF Economy Express wins out here as the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong at $31.57 within 8 days. It is followed closely by APC eMPI at $39.28 within 15 days.
But before you settle down for the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong, there are some things you need to consider to avoid inconveniencing your buyers. They include:
- Transit times: How long will it take for your package to arrive? If it takes longer than your buyers may be willing to wait, then you can opt for another option.
- Shipping couriers and services: Take your time and compare the different shipping couriers and other value-added services offered such as tracking, pick up/ drop off deliveries, weekend deliveries, and any other services that will help offer your buyers a cheap and streamlined delivery. You can compare shipping companies and delivery services offered by each courier using our courier comparison tool.
6 Hong Kong Shipping Tips (for cheap shipping)
Successful shipping goes beyond finding the cheapest shipping option and liaising with affordable shipping couriers. To ensure timely deliveries and unnecessary anxiety for your customers, there are some shipping tips that you should practice and lots of mistakes to avoid.
Here is a rundown of the top ones:
- Use a platform like Easyship to automate much of the shipping activities and ease the shipping process
- Offer your customers multiple shipping options with accurate shipping rates and transit times. You can easily do this by transacting multiple couriers instead of relying on one shipping carrier
- Take time to understand the customs requirements, regulations, and any restricted or prohibited goods to avoid trouble in your business. It is important to ensure that your customs forms are completed and correctly filled to avoid your packages being held at customs
- Before you make a choice, take your time to compare shipping rates, transit times, and services form different couriers
- To avoid failed or delayed delivery, make sure that the recipient's address doesn't contain any errors
- Ensure that you have entered the correct weight of your packages. You may end up paying more if you use inaccurate weight for your parcels
How to Send a Parcel to Hong Kong with Easyship
As you can see, finding the cheapest way to ship to hong kong doest have to be a hassle. With the right tools, you can effectively manage the cost of cross-border shipping from the USA to Hong Kong. Here at Easyship, we are committed to helping you simplify international shipping in the following ways:
- A network of couriers: We offer you more than 250 affordable courier services
- Shipping rates calculator: To help you determine and compare shipping rates and transit times from different couriers
- Courier comparison tool: Use this tool to compare different shipping services offered by different shipping companies
- Rates at Checkout: Show shipping rates and times at checkout to help your buyers make an informed decision
- Customs: We help you sail through the customs declaration process easily through automatically generated shipping forms
- Great discounts: We negotiate shipping rates up 70% in discounts on your behalf
Sign up for an Easyship account today and take advantage of our shipping tools to determine the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong and beyond
If you found this article informative, you might enjoy the following as well:
Previous Post:Shipping with Poly Mailers, What You Need to Know