- Hong Kong eCommerce penetration is estimated to hit 88.2%, up from the current 80.9% by 2027
- You can have your package arrive within 1-4 days with expedited shipping service to Hong Kong
- It may take 8-15 working days for your buyers to receive their packages using economy shipping services
Looking for new markets to sell into? With sales forecast to grow over 9.4% a year, Hong Kong's eCommerce market is forecast huge growth. From $20.3 Billion in 2023, to over $29.1 Billion and 6.6 Million users by 2027. Hong Kong is the perfect market to target, showing huge potetential for growth!
But before you take the plunge, you need to adopt shipping strategies that will enable you to cater to your customers in Hong Kong so that you can delight your buyers with a great shipping experience. That way, you will gain a foothold in the market.
Part of this entails finding and offering different shipping solutions, including the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong. In this article, we'll help you figure out how to find cost-effective shipping services that deliver packages to hong kong. This will help you make informed decisions and ensure that parcels are delivered on time and in pristine condition to your buyers.
We'll help you decipher how long and how much it costs to send parcels to Hong Kong, the courier services you can use, factors that come to play when searching for affordable shipping solutions to Hong Kong, as well as provide some tips on avoiding mistakes.
At Easyship, we got our start in the Hong Kong market and have helped many ambitious eCommerce entrepreneurs find the cheapest shipping. Using our shipping rates calculator, and courier comparison tool, you can always find the cheapest way to ship from the USA to Hong Kong without hurting your bottom line or compromising the standard of service.
Table of Contents
Shipping to Hong Kong: Basics
If you want to find the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong, you must understand all the different facets of shipping and how they affect shipping cost and speed. This will help you choose the most appropriate delivery option based on whether you're sending larger commercial shipments or small personal packages.
Here, we break down the most important information for you.
How Long Does Shipping to Hong Kong take?
The first thing that you need to nail down when evaluating an affordable way to ship a package to Hong Kong is the delivery speed. This determines how long it will take for your package to arrive at its destination and it has everything to do with the delivery option or courier services you chose.
A cheap shipping service comes with longer delivery times, while expedited options tend to be more expensive.
For example, you can have your package arrive within 1-4 days if you ship using expedited shipping services. But when you use economy delivery services, it may take 8-15 working days for your buyers to receive their packages.
For instance, let's say you send your package via SF Economy express, one of the cheapest ways to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong. Your package will be delivered within 5-8 working days.
But if you send it with DHL Express Worldwide, which is among the fastest options for shipping to Hong Kong, your customers will receive their items in 3-4 working days.
So, it boils down to the courier you use and the shipping service you choose. You can use the Easyship rates calculator to compare shipping rates and shipping times from different couriers.
How Much Does It Cost?
Several factors come to play when determining the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong. They include:
- Package weight: The heavier your package, the more you should expect to pay to have it delivered to its destination. For example, it will cost you less when shipping a smartphone than when sending a flatscreen television due to the weight difference between the two items.
- Package dimensions: The larger your package dimensions, the more you will pay to have it delivered, especially if the dimensional weight of your package is more than its actual weight. Also, you may have to pay extra fees for packages with irregular shapes and dimensions than those with normal shapes and dimensions.
- Delivery timeframe: While you may have no control over the weight and dimension of your package, it is always up to you, or your customers, to determine how quickly you want your packages to arrive. If you or your buyers are willing to wait for longer, then you can go for the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong, or choose expedited shipping options for faster delivery.
3 Things to Consider When Shipping to Hong Kong
In your quest for the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong, there are some things you should consider to make sure that you comply with international trade requirements and avoid violating the country's laws and regulations.
- Customs: You will need to complete a customs declaration form detailing the contents of your package. Easyship helps you to sail through the customs declaration process easily with automatically generated customs forms
- Restricted or prohibited items: Like any other country, some products are prohibited or restricted in Hong Kong. You need to make sure that your package doesn't breach any of the country's protocols
- Fragile Items: If you are sending fragile items to your customers in Hong Kong, make sure that you attach a warning sign and let your courier know so that it can be handled with care. While this may mean paying extra handling charges, it is better than having it damaged, frustrate your buyers, and suffer the loss of having to replace it
Do FedEx, UPS, and USPS Ship to Hong Kong?
Yes! Most of the major couriers offer international shipping services from the USA to Hong kong. Whether you want to find the cheapest way to send a package to hong kong with the major couriers, or an expedited option for speedy shipping, you are sure to find a service that will fit your shipping needs within a budget.
Here are the top services offered by FedEx, UPS, and USPS shipping to hong kong.
- USPS Priority Mail International: This USPS Hong kong service takes 8 days upon booking of shipment
- USPS Priority Mail Express International: Packages are delivered within 4 days upon booking of shipment
- FedEx International Priority: With this FedEx Hong kong services, packages are delivered within 2 days upon the booking of the shipment
- FedEx International Economy: packages arrive within 4 days upon the booking of the shipment
- DHL Express Worldwide: Packages are delivered within 3-4 days upon the booking of the shipment
What's the Cheapest Way to Ship from the USA to Hong Kong?
If you are a US-based eCommerce merchant catering to your customers in Hong Kong, you need to find the cheapest way of sending packages there and provide your buyers with the most affordable shipping options.
The easiest way to do this is to use a shipping rates calculator to compare and understand shipping rates and times from different shipping companies and third-party agents.
For example, let's say you want to send a package weighing 5 lbs from Brooklyn, New York to Hong Kong. The table below shows a ballpark of estimated transit times and costs.
|Courier Service||Lead Time||Tracking||Total Cost|
|SF Express - Economy ExpressCheapest||6 - 7 working days||Basic||$36.21|
|Flat Export||4 - 9 working days||Limited||$39.88|
|UPS Worldwide Expedited®Fastest Best Value||1 working day||Excellent||$50.94|
|UPS Worldwide Saver®||1 working day||Excellent||$57.91|
|Asendia - Epaq Select||4 - 9 working days||Regular||$59.80|
|UPS Worldwide Express®||1 working day||Excellent||$61.91|
|DHL - Express Worldwide||3 - 5 working days||Excellent||$71.77|
|USPS - Priority Mail International||11 - 15 working days||Basic||$74.37|
|USPS - Priority Mail Express International||5 - 15 working days||Basic||$91.38|
Important Issues to Consider When Shipping to Hong Kong
As you can see from the comparison table above, SF Economy Express wins out here as the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Hong Kong at $36.21 within 7 working days. It is followed closely by Flat Export at $39.88 within 9 working days.
But before you settle down for the cheapest way to ship a package to Hong Kong, there are some things you need to consider to avoid inconveniencing your buyers. They include:
- Transit times: How long will it take for your package to arrive? If it takes longer than your buyers may be willing to wait, then you can opt for another option.
- Shipping couriers and services: Take your time and compare the different shipping couriers and other value-added services offered such as tracking, pick up/ drop off deliveries, weekend deliveries, and any other services that will help offer your buyers a cheap and streamlined delivery. You can compare shipping companies and delivery services offered by each courier using our courier comparison tool.
6 Hong Kong Shipping Tips
Successful shipping goes beyond finding the cheapest shipping option and liaising with affordable shipping couriers. To ensure timely deliveries and unnecessary anxiety for your customers, there are some shipping tips that you should practice and lots of mistakes to avoid.
Here is a rundown of the top ones:
- Use a platform like Easyship to automate much of the shipping activities and ease the shipping process
- Offer your customers multiple shipping options with accurate shipping rates and transit times. You can easily do this by transacting multiple couriers instead of relying on one shipping carrier
- Take time to understand the customs requirements, regulations, and any restricted or prohibited goods to avoid trouble in your business. It is important to ensure that your customs forms are completed and correctly filled to avoid your packages being held at customs
- Before you make a choice, take your time to compare shipping rates, transit times, and services form different couriers
- To avoid failed or delayed delivery, make sure that the recipient's address doesn't contain any errors
- Ensure that you have entered the correct weight of your packages. You may end up paying more if you use inaccurate weight for your parcels
How Easyship Can Help
With a global network of 250+ couriers, Easyship is your platform for boosting profits and effortlessly scaling your eCommerce business. Whether your customers are in Kowloon or Kansas, our commitment to making international shipping easy wraps around the globe. Take advantage of key discounts on top carriers:
- Save up to 76% on UPS Worldwide Saver®
- Save up to 33% on SF Express
- Save up to 52% on Asendia - e-PAQ Plus
- Save up to 73% on DHL – Express Worldwide
- Save up to 91% on DHL eCommerce services
Navigating the challenges of cross-border shipping on your own can be challenging. Take your shipping to the next level with our user-friendly shipping tools:
- Shipping Rate Calculator: Find the best deals for every order by comparing exclusive rates from over 550+ courier services worldwide
- Insurance: Keep your shipments safe and secure with up to $10,000 in coverage, allowing you to focus on scaling your store without worries
- Tracking: Delight your customers with custom-branded tracking emails and automatic message alerts throughout the delivery process
Join thousands of eCommerce entrepreneurs who trust Easyship to connect with their international customers every day. Start saving on shipping costs and delivering a seamless experience to your customers in Hong Kong today!
If you found this article informative, you might enjoy the following as well: