When it comes to good shipping tactics, the goal is to create a system that makes the process fast and cheap. Inevitably, a big part of that is trying to find ways to cut costs. For example, buying postage at the post office can be expensive - printing your shipping labels online and attaching them yourself can help you save on shipping costs. The US Postal Service (USPS) has made the whole shipping process easier with a unique online service. USPS Click n Ship brings the post office to your doorstep - so now you really do have no excuse to save on shipping!
By using this service, you can print your shipping labels whenever, wherever. This convenient prepaid service allows you to book your shipment online and print your shipping labels on regular printing paper. You’ll then receive a confirmation number that you can use to track your package and get delivery information.
As of December 16, 2019, USPS estimates that 400,000 customers have used this at-home service - and other online services - to print labels, order free shipping boxes, buy postage, and organize free package pickup.
What is Click n Ship?
This is a very convenient service from USPS that lets you organize booking and shipping for your packages online if you use the carrier’s Priority Mail, Express Mail, and International Mail services. To use this service, all you have to do is sign up for a USPS account and get access to a printer and a credit card. The service’s features include:
- Purchase postage labels on the USPS website
- Pay for postage with all major credit cards
- Calculate and compare rates
- Addresses standardization
- Find a zip code
- Insurance coverage up to $200
- Online address book storage of up to 1,000 domestic and international addresses
- Email shipping notification for the recipient
- Print up to 10 domestic labels in single credit card transaction
- See postage labels from the past six months in shipping history
- Account can easily be managed in the “My Account” portal
Currently, you can print USPS Click n Ship labels for the following domestic and international shipping services:
- Priority Mail
- Express Mail
- Global Express Guaranteed
- Global Express Mail
However, you won’t be able to print Click n Ship labels for First-Class services right now. The service is also unavailable for the following services:
- First-Class Package
- First-Class Mail International
- First-Class Package International
- Package Services
- USPS Retail Ground
- USPS Retail Ground (non-military sender)
How Does The Service Work?
To use the service, you first need to sign up for an account on the USPS website. Below is a step-by-step guide to using the service:
- Create a free USPS account.
- Create labels by adding a destination address.
- Enter the weight of the package - if you’re unsure, you can order free Priority Mail flat-rate boxes for packages up to 70lbs being sent domestically.
- Compare service types and pricing, then pick the one that’s right for you.
- Choose the basic $50 insurance that’s included in most Priority Mail services or add additional insurance coverage with extra fees.
- Add any other necessary delivery instructions or additional services.
- If you are shipping internationally or to a military base, you’ll have to fill out an online customs form, too.
- Set preferences for the type of packages you ship the most (handy if you have recurring shipments!)
- Set up tracking notifications for yourself and the recipient.
- Easily recreate shipments to past recipients with your saved history.
- Create the label.
- Pay for your shipment.
- Print your label (and attach it to your package, of course).
- Schedule a free pickup.
How Much Does it Cost?
The cost of using the Click n Ship service will depend on what mail class you use, the weight and dimensions of your package, and the destination address. However, USPS offers special discounts for those who use this exclusive service. In addition, although scheduled carrier pickups are free, there may be additional costs for special services like on-demand pickup. Below, we compare a few rates to help you understand the cost of using this service:
- Priority Mail flat-rate envelope for domestic shipping: $4.80 in-store / $4.75 online
- Priority Mail flat-rate box for domestic shipping: $9.80 in-store / $9.30 online
- Express Mail flat-rate envelope for domestic shipping: $16.50 in-store / $16 online
- 1lb parcel being shipped 150 miles with Express Mail: $12.60 in-store / $12.22 online
- 1lb parcel being shipped 150 miles through Priority Mail: $4.80 in-store/ $4.75 online
These discounts may seem insignificant for single shipments, but think of how they’ll add up with large volume shipments or over time - that’s economies of scale at play! If you’re a small business that regularly ships a large number of packages, then this could considerably reduce your total shipping costs. You can find more information about potential savings here.
What Are the Pros And Cons of This Service?
USPS Click n Ship is a very convenient and easy-to-use service. For a small business - especially one that’s run from your home - making frequent trips to the post office can be an added cost in terms of both time and money. Managing your shipping online can take a load of stress off - but of course, it comes with its own unique set of issues.
- Saves time and effort
- Order free boxes for packing
- Organize free pickups for packages
- Fill in customs forms and print labels online
- Get access to affordable shipping rates
- Easily reship to previous address using your shipping history
- Manage all destination addresses, shipments, and tracking in one account
- Online systems can have tech glitches, making them unpredictable to use
- Payments are dependent on gateways being fully functional - transactions can sometimes not work properly
- Click n Ship labels First-Class services and Ground services are not available
Streamline Your Deliveries With Click n Ship
USPS Click n Ship is a convenient online service that allows you to manage your shipments with one easy-to-use account. With it, you can do everything from print labels and fill out customs forms to order boxes and package pickups. All you need is a good internet connection, a credit card - and a free USPS account.
Easyship can also help you with shipping labels and customs forms. You can use our services to easily print labels and book shipments with different carriers around the world - and you can even automate all these functions!
Sign up for a free account today to see how we can help you make shipping easier
If you found this USPS article informative, you may enjoy the following: