For eCommerce retailers, fast order fulfillment speeds can be a game-changer for your business. According to Arvato, 53% of online shoppers consider delivery speed to be the most important factor in the purchasing process, while 24% of shoppers have canceled an order due to slow shipping speeds. With the advent of Amazon Prime, same-day, 1-day, and 2-day delivery options have become the norm for most online shoppers. So how is the average online store owner supposed to compete? Overnight shipping services can help!
Sometimes, your customers need to receive their orders the next day. The best way to do this is to use a service that will deliver their shipment overnight. This will not only help you exceed their expectations but also convert most last-minute shoppers.
But, this type of service can get expensive. That’s where Easyship can help. Our courier services are usually cheaper than going direct to major carriers like USPS and FedEx, and that includes for next-day services. In this article, we’re going to discuss what overnight shipping is, how it works, how much it costs, and how you can take advantage of it to keep your customers happy and satisfied.
What is Overnight Shipping?
This is the quickest package delivery option available through most couriers. It guarantees that your customers will receive their urgent packages on the next business day. Different carriers offer varied overnight services depending on the time of the day you want your customers to receive the package. Let’s look at the services offered by the major couriers.
USPS Overnight Shipping
USPS overnight shipping is available through their Priority Mail Express services. It’s also the cheapest option for packages under 70lbs, starting from $24.70. The service guarantees next-day delivery, with options to have the package delivered by 1030AM. The service operates seven days a week and doesn’t charge extra for weekend deliveries.
FedEx Overnight Shipping
FedEx has three options within the US that allow shippers to customize delivery and pickup options.
- FedEx First Overnight: This is the fastest and the most expensive option. For most US destinations, delivery is guaranteed on the next business day as early as 8AM, but for remote areas, delivery is usually by 2PM.
- FedEx Priority Overnight: This FedEx overnight shipping service guarantees delivery by 1030AM on the next business day in most US destinations, and by 5PM for remote addresses
- FedEx Standard Overnight: This is the cheapest and the slowest FedEx option; for most US addresses, delivery is usually made by 3PM on the next business day.
UPS Overnight Shipping
There are three UPS options available, and all include online tracking:
- UPS Next Day Air Early: This is the most expensive option, but it guarantees package delivery on the next business day by 8AM
- UPS Next Day Air: Package delivery is guaranteed the next business day by 10:30AM
- UPS Next Day Air Saver: This is the least expensive option, and guarantees package delivery on the next business day by 3PM
DHL Overnight Shipping
If your package needs to be delivered overnight internationally, then DHL will be your best choice, though it will be expensive. It will cost you anywhere from $248.86 to $226.71 to ship a 10lb box measuring 13.2in x 12.6in x 2 from New York to London.
Like any courier service, you should expect that there will be certain restrictions with this service. The main thing is that there are daily cutoff times for shipping. If you miss this cutoff time, the courier will not be able to guarantee next-day delivery. Similarly, any orders placed on a weekend may require an extra business day to be delivered.
In addition, certain weight and dimension restrictions apply. For example, with USPS, the maximum parcel weight is 70lbs; for FedEx and UPS, it’s 150lbs.
How Does Overnight Shipping Work?
Shipments are booked during the day and transported throughout the night so that delivery can take place the following day. Typically, it takes one night and a few hours of the next day to have your package delivered.
With the next-day delivery guarantee, each courier service will do its best to deliver your packages the next business day. However, sometimes it may be hard to do that with 100% success. In this case, the "guarantee" means that you will be refunded the shipping fees if your package is not delivered at the promised time.
The cutoff time for overnight shipping with most couriers is usually between 6PM and 7PM. You can use USPS over the weekends, but you’ll have to pay an additional charge on Sunday deliveries. For both UPS and FedEx, only Saturday pickups and deliveries are available for an additional charge. Residential and fuel surcharges also apply for both UPS and FedEx.
How Much Does It Cost?
There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to overnight shipping costs, and several factors come to play when determining the fees. They include:
- Package dimensions: This pricing model takes into account the dimensions of the package to determine its cost
- Delivery time frame: The faster the delivery time for the package, the more you can expect to pay
- Package weight: This is based on either the actual weight or the dimensional weight of a package; heavier shipments cost more to ship than lighter packages
- Shipping distance: This is the distance between the point of origin of the package and its destination. The further the distance, the more the shipping costs
- Carrier shipping agreements: Some carriers offer discounted shipping rates to small businesses or those that have high shipping volumes.
Here is an overview of overnight shipping costs for various couriers when shipping a 2lb package sized 10” x 5” x 5” from Brooklyn, New York, to Miami, Florida.
|USPS Priority Mail Express||$46.20|
|UPS Next Day Air Early||$114.74|
|UPS Next Day Air||$84.51|
|FedEx First Overnight||$106.94|
|FedEx Priority Overnightr||$64.44|
|FedEx Standard Overnight||$60.80|
As you can see, in this instance, USPS Priority Mail Express service is the cheapest overnight shipping service.
Keep Customers Happy with Overnight Shipping
Online shoppers' needs have changed and they now require eCommerce retailers to offer faster package delivery options. To help address this need, different courier companies introduced overnight services that make next-day deliveries possible. While overnight shipping is a more expensive option, it can help your eCommerce brand stand out by keeping your customers happy and satisfied with fast deliveries, and there are always ways to find the cheapest option.
By connecting you to more than 250 cost-effective courier services, Easyship helps you find the most affordable shipping solutions for any scenario. This includes overnight shipping services. Sign up for a free account to see how we can help you boost customer satisfaction with fast deliveries!
Previous Post:Logistics & eCommerce News Update: May 8, 2020