- An estimated 10% of shipments will be fulfilled by package pickup services by 2025
- To use pickup services, just submit a request with your shipping courier online
- A $3 charge per package applies for pickup at a future date and $4 per package for same-day pickup for FedEx package pickup
Are you looking to simplify shipping and fulfillment? If you’re tight on time, package pickup comes in handy.
Package pickup is a helpful feature offered by major domestic couriers, including USPS, FedEx, and UPS®. In fact, an estimated 10% of shipments will be fulfilled by package pickup services by 2025.
To use pickup services, just submit a request with your shipping courier online. The courier driver will retrieve the package from your home, office, or any specified location. This service is free if arranged for in advance with USPS or costs a few bucks with FedEx and UPS®.
Easyship’s all-in-one dashboard makes it easy to arrange for package pickup. In just a click, you can skip that trip to the post office and add time back to your busy day. This blog will give a rundown on using pickup services with the top domestic couriers: UPS, USPS, and FedEx.
Table of Contents
How Package Pickup Works
Package pickup is a service offered by couriers that lets you arrange for pickup from a location of your choosing. This service enables you to skip the package drop-off step in your fulfillment process.
You can arrange for the pickup via the courier website, app, or phone service. You can also opt for pickup as you buy your shipping label.
Check that your shipment qualifies for pickup, as this service is only available for certain services. For example, pickup isn’t available for USPS First Class Mail shipments, only Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express services. Likewise, specific oversized shipments may not qualify for pickup.
Couriers ask that you prepare shipments for pickup. Just like dropping off a package, your shipment must be ready to ship, meaning it should be:
- Packaged securely
- Include all necessary shipping documents
You can schedule a pickup for the next business day or the same day. That said, same-day pickups cost extra and may not always work out. Overall, it’s best to schedule pickups in advance to avoid delays and disappointment.
How to Schedule a USPS Pickup
USPS package pickup is free of charge if scheduled in advance, regardless of how many packages you send. However, you’ll pay $24 if you want a same-day pickup.
There are two different options for pickup, including:
- Pickup on-demand service: For time-sensitive shipments that need to be picked up at a specific time and day. For every trip, you’ll pay a pickup fee
- Package pickup service: Schedule package pickup for the next business day, free of charge
- Recurring package pickup: You can schedule recurring pickup services if you’re a high-volume shipper. This option saves you valuable time on your shipping processes
Package pickup services are available with the following USPS services:
- Priority Mail Express
- Priority Mail
- First-Class Package Service-Commercial
Enjoy USPS package pickup every day of the week except Sunday. If you request a pickup on a Saturday or Sunday, your package pickup is on Monday.
International packages are also eligible for package pickup. For same-day pickup requests, make sure you schedule one by 2:00 a.m. CT on the day you requested. Same-day pickup is also not available after 2:00 a.m. CT, and you can’t edit or cancel a pickup.
USPS offers several international shipping options for package pickup, including:
- Global Express Guaranteed
- Priority Mail Express International
- Priority Mail International
- First-Class Package International
USPS Pickup Restrictions
Though package pickup can help simplify your shipping and fulfillment process, restrictions still apply. Below is a list of limitations of USPS Package Pickup:
- Packages cannot exceed 70 pounds and 130 inches in total length and girth
- No pickup on holidays
- No hazardous materials
How to Schedule a FedEx Pickup
Pickups with FedEx, unlike USPS, can get expensive. A $3 charge per package applies for pickup at a future date and $4 per package for same-day pickup. FedEx offers two options for package pickup:
- One-time pickup: Schedule a one-time shipment pickup via the FedEx pickup application or by creating a label in the FedEx Ship Manager
- Recurring FedEx pickup: Simplify your shipping process by signing up for regularly scheduled pickups. Say goodbye to repeatedly driving to the local post office or courier store for shipments
Schedule a package pickup in the FedEx app or fill out a FedEx Ship Manager label. Package pickup is only available for certain FedEx shipping services, including:
- FedEx Express Pickup
- FedEx Ground Pickup
- FedEx Express Freight Pickup
- FedEx Express International
Schedule by the end of the business day for FedEx package pickup. Keep in mind that your package must be ready 2 hours before the end of the business day.
FedEx Pickup Restrictions
- Packages cannot exceed 150 pounds for FedEx shipments
- Packages must be ready one hour before your company’s closing time
- Sturdy packaging required
- No hazardous materials (i.e., pharmaceuticals or prescription drugs)
How to Schedule UPSPickup
Schedule package pickup with any UPS shipping service for ground, air, and international shipments.
A fee applies to every UPS Pickup request. It costs $6.80 per same-day request and $5.80 for a future-day UPS Pickup. All you need to do is by scheduling your pickup online at UPS.com or by calling 1-800-PICK-UPS. Schedule a same-day pickup, or you can plan for up to five days in advance.
UPS offers two different services for UPS Pickup, including:
- One-time UPS pickup: Schedule a one-time pickup. You can select a pickup option after providing your shipment destination and shipment details.
- Recurring UPS pickup: Schedule a regular pickup. Sign in to UPS.com and select “Payment Options” and then select “Edit” on the specific payment option you want to add recurring shipments to
UPS Pickup Restrictions
- Residential surcharges apply if the pickup occurs at a residential location
- Surcharges apply if the pickup occurs in a rural, extended, or remote area (i.e., Alaska or Hawaii) as per UPS restrictions
- UPS Worldwide Express Freight® pickup is unable to be combined with UPS Ground, Air, and International package pickup
- No hazardous materials (i.e., pharmaceuticals or prescription drugs)
How Easyship Can Help
Package pickup makes fulfillment easy, and Easyship makes it even easier. Our all-in-one shipping platform lets you schedule pickups in a click. With our automated label generator, you can also save time on generating shipping labels, customer invoices, and packing slips.
Easyship does all the hard work by working with major couriers like USPS, FedEx, UPS, and 250+ courier services. This way, you can continue to enjoy the features and benefits of specific couriers at a fraction of the cost.
Ready to start shipping? Sign up today and save time on fulfillment, plus save up to 89% off our discounted USPS, UPS, and FedEx shipping rates.
If you found this article informative, you may enjoy the following: