Mastering eCommerce marketing is extremely important if you want your digitally native brand to succeed. With 63% of companies saying that generating traffic and leads is their top marketing challenge, choosing to learn the basics of eCommerce marketing is a good first step to overcome this.
In this post, we'll define eCommerce marketing and share some basic strategies and tactics you can start applying to your eCommerce store.
What is eCommerce marketing?
eCommerce marketing is the perfect alignment of strategies, goals, and tactics to attain sustainable and revenue-yielding traffic to your online store or website.
However, it's worth noting that regardless of what eCommerce marketing tools or tactics you use, your business may not see significant results if you fail to market to a well-defined target audience.
Some of the factors to consider in choosing your target audience include but not limited to age, gender, location, income level, education level, hobbies, and more.
Once you've set your target audience, complete the following in order to effectively implement eCommerce marketing:
- Set goals. It's important you put time aside to think about what you want to accomplish with your digital marketing efforts. Basic goals include increasing relevant traffic to your store, ensuring that your site is responsive, or growing your email list for effective eCommerce marketing automation. It can also mean developing fruitful partnerships with influencers in your niche. If possible, you'll also want to work towards offering your site’s visitors a personalized experience.
- Determine your strategy. With your goals ready, the next step is determining the strategies that will help you reach these goals. Some of these strategies include but are not limited to making your site’s checkout process as easy as possible, providing helpful customer service, writing clear and concise product descriptions, showing all shipping costs, or focusing on social media advertising.
- Choose marketing tactics that carry out your strategy. When it comes to implementing an eCommerce marketing strategy, there are many different tactics that can help maximize effectiveness.
eCommerce Marketing Tactics
Here are some common tactics that new sellers can try to implement their strategy:
- Social media marketing: Create brand pages on major platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest so you have a diversified social media presence. It's also best to use social media analytics tools to see which platform performs best so you'll know exactly where to focus your efforts.
- Search engine marketing (SEM): If you have a decent marketing budget, this tactic can help you to significantly grow your business. As an advertiser, you can bid on keywords that your potential customers might type in, which will allow your ads to show up alongside the results of those search queries.
- Search engine optimization (SEO): If you're not interested in spending on ads, you can try your hand at SEO. Search engine optimization (SEO) is about enhancing the content on your website to make it rank in the top search results. By properly optimizing your product pages and targeting the right keywords, you'll appear higher in search results, making it easier for customers to find you. Learn more.
- Email marketing: Believe it or not, email isn't dead. While having a lot of social media followers is great, it's not guaranteed that your posts will reach all of them. Email is still a relevant way to directly reach your customers. Now that you can segment and better personalize email, it makes sense to put efforts into growing your email list so you can nurture customer relations.
- Influencer marketing: Working with influencers in your niche has proven to move the needle with several brands. If you have the resources, paying for an endorsement from an influencer with good engagement can definitely boost sales for your business.
In order to get real results from digital marketing, you must have a good understanding of the basics. We hope the above listed strategies and tactics help you kickstart your eCommerce marketing campaign and reach the goals you've set for yourself!
What are the eCommerce marketing strategies or tactics that work best for your business? Let us know in the comments below!
Previous Post:eCommerce SEO: What You Need To Know