Germany is the largest economy in Europe making it a key market for ecommerce. A study from RetailX found that 85% of the country’s population of 81.1 million reported shopping online in 2020. That’s certainly nothing to sneeze at — and it gives online merchants a pretty good reason to figure out the fastest and cheapest way to ship to Germany.
In this article, we’ll explore how long shipping to Germany takes from the US and within Europe, which courier is the most cost-effective, DHL pro tips and how current events like COVID are impacting shipping. In addition, we’ll share how offering your customers a multi-carrier shipping solution can help them save money when shipping to Germany.
Shipping to Germany
Sending packages across borders can be challenging at times, and Germany is not an exception. But it doesn't have to be! With a little planning, you can certainly find the cheapest way to mail packages to Germany and navigate the cost and complexity of international shipping when catering to your customers there.
Here, we break down the most important things that you need to know.
How Long Does Shipping to Germany take?
The first thing that you need to determine when figuring out the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Germany or from within Europe is the shipping time. Transit time determines how long it will take for your parcel to arrive, and it has everything to do with the shipping service you choose and the courier you use.
Expedited shipping services to Germany -or any other country - tend to be faster than economy shipping. For example, DHL Express Worldwide is one of the fastest shipping services when sending a 5lb package from the USA to Germany. It will take 1-4 days to have your package delivered.
But it may take up to 16 days when sending the same package via economy shipping services. For example, APC ePMI drop-off is among the cheapest shipping services when sending a package from the USA to Germany. But it will take 10-15 working days to have your package delivered.
So, delivery timelines to Germany depend on the courier you use and the service option you choose.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship to Germany?
Again, there is no one-cost-fits-all-boxes when it comes to determining the cheapest way to mail a package to Germany. This is because several variables come to play when determining the cost of sending a package from the USA or the UK to Germany.
- Package weight: The heavier your package, the more you will pay to have it delivered to its destination. For example, you will pay more when shipping a flatscreen TV from the US to Germany than when shipping an iPhone due to the weight difference between the two items.
- Package dimensions: Dimensional weight also comes to play when determining the shipping cost of your package. Packages with irregular shapes or dimensions attract more fees than those with normal shapes and dimensions. You can avoid the dimensional fees by keeping your package dimensions as small as possible.
- Delivery speed: Expedited shipping attracts higher shipping rates than economy shipping. So, it is upon you -or your customer- to decide how faster you want the package delivered. If your customers are willing to wait for longer periods, then you can go for the cheapest way to ship to Germany. Else, you may have no option but to use expedited services at an additional cost.
Things to Consider
Apart from the shipping time and delivery cost, there are a few things that you need to consider in your quest for the cheapest way to ship to Germany. Here is a quick rundown of the most important ones.
- Customs: When shipping from the US to Germany, you need to know that you will have to complete a customs declaration form detailing the contents of your package. Easyship can help you navigate the customs declaration process with automatically generated customs forms.
- Restricted or prohibited items: Just like any other country, Germany will have a list of restricted or prohibited items that cannot be shipped there. You need to be aware of them so that you won't violate the country's protocols and land yourself in trouble with German authorities.
- Fragile items: When mailing fragile items to Germany, you need to alert your courier by affixing a warning sign so that your items will be handled with care. This may attract additional fees, which is better than having your items damaged, frustrate your customers, and suffer the loss of having to replace them.
Does FedEx/UPS/USPS Ship to Germany?
Yes! All the major couriers provide expedited and economic shipping services from the US to Germany. So, whether you are looking for expedited shipping services or the cheapest way to mail a package from the US to Germany, you are sure to find a service that fits your shipping needs with each of these couriers without breaking the bank.
Here are the different services from the US to Germany offered by each one of them:
- USPS Priority Mail International: It may take 8-15 days to have your package delivered with this service.
- Priority Mail Express International: It may take 4 days or more to have your package delivered with this service.
- UPS Expedited: Packages are delivered within 4 days upon booking of the shipment
- UPS Saver: You will have your packages arrive within 2 days upon booking of the shipment
- UPS Express: Packages are delivered within 2 days upon booking of the shipment
- UPS Worldwide Express Plus: Your packages will arrive within 2 days upon the booking of the shipment.
- FedEx International Economy: It may take up to 6 days to have your package delivered with this service
- FedEx International Priority: Packages are delivered within 2 days
- FedEx International First: Your buyers will receive their items within 2 days
- DHL Express Worldwide: Packages are delivered within 2 days.
What's the Cheapest Shipping Option from the USA to Germany?
If you are an eCommerce merchant based in the US, then you need to find the cheapest way to ship a package to Germany and make sure that you offer the most affordable shipping options to your buyers.
While USPS flat rate boxes or the Flat Export Rate may be your go-to options when looking for the cheapest way to ship to Germany from the UK or the USA, there are other options, too. If you compare and evaluate carefully, you may find that hybrid solutions like Easyship provide the cheapest way to ship a package to Germany.
The easiest way to do so is to use a shipping rates calculator to compare shipping rates and the transit time from different couriers and choose the one that suits your needs and budget.
Apart from the shipping cost and transit time, you should also take your time to compare different couriers and other value-added services they offer like tracking and free weekend deliveries. Our courier comparison tool can help you do exactly that.
Here is a ballpark of estimated cost and transit time for a package weighing 5lbs and measuring 10in x 5in x 5in from the USA to Germany.
|Courier Service||Transit Times||Shipping Cost|
|APC ePMI||10-15 Days||$49.63|
|APC ePMEI||10-15 Days||$54.39|
|DHL Express Worldwide||1-4 days||$58.86|
|USPS Priority Mail International||8-15 days||$63.25|
|USPS Priority Mail Express International||6-10 days||$81.95|
|FedEx International Economy||6 days||$194.27|
|FedEx International Priority||2 days||$215.83|
|FedEx International First||2 days||$267.53|
|UPS Expedited||4 days||$199.94|
|UPS Saver||2 days||$209.70|
|UPS Express||2 days||$213.88|
|UPS Worldwide Express Plus||2 days||$255.78|
As you can see, APC ePMI wins out here as the cheapest way to mail a package from the USA to Germany at $49.63, followed by APC ePMEI at $54.39. DHL Express Worldwide also has a competitive rate at $58.86, followed by USPS Priority Mail International at $63.25.
You also need to take time and consider other value-added services like delivery timelines, free drop-off, free packaging, free weekend delivery, and tracking before you make the final decision on which of the above couriers offers the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Germany, or within Europe.
What’s the cheapest shipping option from the UK to Germany?
What about shipping from the UK to Germany? Using the Easyship shipping rates calculator, here is a ballpark of estimated shipping rates and times when shipping the same package from the UK to Germany.
|Courier Service||Transit Times||Shipping Cost|
|P2P TRAKPAK Worldwide||1-3 days||GBP 14.43|
|FedEx International Economy||10-15 Days||$ 81.97|
|FedEx International Priority||1 day||$110.47|
|FedEx Europe First||1 day||$133.19|
12 Germany Shipping Tips/Mistakes to Avoid
Successful shipping to Germany goes beyond the cost. There are some things that you need to be aware of and lots of mistakes to avoid if you want to win in the German eCommerce market.
- Brexit: The challenges and controversy surrounding the Brexit debate should not be ignored when expanding your eCommerce business to Germany.
- Covid-19: Covind-19 shipping delays are still a reality. You need to plan well to avoid frustrating your buyers.
- Shipping platform like Easyship: This will help you automate much of the shipping process and avoid costly mistakes and errors.
- Offer a range of shipping options: This will give your customers the freedom to choose how they want their package delivered.
- Check the recipients' address: This will help you avoid any errors that can lead to delayed package delivery.
- Leverage multiple couriers: This will help you avoid the frustrations of relying on one carrier and delight your customers with the freedom of choice.
- Transit time and other value-added services: compare shipping rates and shipping services from different couriers before you make the final choice.
- Customs: You need to understand the customs requirements and regulations in Germany to avoid breaching the country's protocols
- Insurance: Easyship can offer up to $5,000 in insurance coverage
- Return policy: Have a clear, easy to understand return policy for your customers in Germany
- Restricted or prohibited items: You need to be aware of these to avoid getting yourself in trouble with the German authorities.
- Duties and taxes: You may be charged duties and taxes for importing certain products to Germany. Decide up front who will pay for these -you or the customer.
How to Send a Parcel to Germany with Easyship
Managing the cost of international shipping has never been easier, especially if you are looking for the cheapest parcel delivery from the UK to Germany, or the cheapest way to ship a package from the USA to Germany.
Setting up a shipping strategy will help you clearly communicate your shipping policies to your customers. The key is providing them with options. With Easyship, international shipping has never been more streamlined, and simplified.
When you sign up with Easyship, you instantly gain access to more than 250 affordable shipping services and a network of fulfilment centers across the world.
Through our platform, you can automate much of the shipping process and navigate the complexity of international shipping with pre-filled customs forms, access discounted shipping rates up to 70%, and delight your customers with a streamlined delivery experience with our impeccable global tracking systems.
Sign up for a free Easyship account today and let us help you make an informed decision on the cheapest way to ship to Germany and beyond.
If you're looking for the cheapest shipping to other destinations, check these articles out:
Previous Post:Wholesale Vendors: Tips to Find the Best for Your Store